Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How Ex NFL'ers Go Broke

Want to know how NFL players (and ex-NFL players) go broke?

Here's how...this is Shawn Merriman's tab from the bar last Sunday night: http://instagram.com/p/aYBiKemolx/

Is that 1 bottle of water going for $36? Am I reading that right?

Anyway, the reason this is in the news is because apparently Merriman overdosed ("got dehydrated") when he combined alcohol and "medication" and had to be rushed to the hospital. He's now reportedly fine. Good for him.

So not only did he ring up a $16K bar tab, he probably stuck the taxpayers with a $3,000 ER bill.

Re: McKinnie returns.

One bottle of water six times is how I read that.

There's no way 1 red bull is 42 dollars, so I read that as 1 red bull times 6. 7 dollars a pop. Lol

13% tip?!?!

That's embarrassing.

Re: How Ex NFL'ers Go Broke

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    13% tip?!?!

That's embarrassing.
    is that not alot?

13% tip?!?!

That's embarrassing.
    13% tip and 9% service charge makes 22%. My guess is that the distribution of the money to the staff is different between tips and service charges, so they put it into two categories for accounting purposes. It also looks like a preset charge and not a voluntary tip.

Blog Entries

This just continues the trend of showing ridiculous bar tabs from athletes. The last one I saw was LeBron James, which trumped this for sure...

http://www.brobible.com/entertainmen...abs-in-history

And that's only #8 on the list. Now, I know...LBJ is making hand over fist dollars, Merriman is a has almost been. Still, this is just nuts.

I watched ESPN 30 for 30 "Broke" this week. It was a bit tougher for me to follow than the normal 30 for 30 narrative (There's no narrator, just a collection of interviews interspliced to cover similar topics), but it was pretty eye opening. Guys explaining about how they compete with each other using their money (Who has biggest bling, who has fanciest cars, etc), guys explaining how family comes out of the woodworks when they get their money, then disappear when things get tight (One guy was said to have paid for a family member's house FULLY, the family member didn't pay one cent, and when that player washed out of sports, he was responsible for that mortgage without the family member lifting a finger). It's a good watch to see the players who start to understand where things go wrong for athletes.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Kelly Gregg will NEVER have this problem. Dude was cheap and drove around in used pickup trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    is that not alot?
    A customary tip for satisfactory service is 15% in the states.

Lots of athletes here have a reputation being poor tippers but that's for another thread.

Lots of athletes here have a reputation being poor tippers but that's for another thread.
    Maybe it wasn't satisfactory service..

Blog Entries

I thought it was 20%. That's what I've been paying - 18% if service isn't so hot. Nothing
    if it's terrible.

15% went out years ago and I learned that over in the other forum and guys jumped
    on me for paying 15%. I didn't know it went up to 20%. I paid more than than
    last night because I eat at the same places every week and they know me so I pay
    more.

I'll leave nothing if the service is really bad but I'll always tell them why.

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    I thought it was 20%. That's what I've been paying - 18% if service isn't so hot. Nothing
    if it's terrible.

15% went out years ago and I learned that over in the other forum and guys jumped
    on me for paying 15%. I didn't know it went up to 20%. I paid more than than
    last night because I eat at the same places every week and they know me so I pay
    more.

I'll leave nothing if the service is really bad but I'll always tell them why.
    I recall Steve Martin in one of his 80% movies(The Jerk, My Blue Sunday or A Story) speakign about tipping. Basically the gist was that if you were going to tip, it is best to OVER-TIP. If it's a place i frequent, and I desire top notch service(such as a bar ALWAYS IS) I generally top 25-33%. In the Baltimore bar scene after a few times, this will customarily cut yoru bar tab in half of what it should be, which is a win-win for you and the server, while a loser for the bar owner. Yo will be served ahead of the pretty girls righ on the rail fo the bar as wel.

Out of Town, I am closer to 20%.

I also ave a personal rule of no less the $1 per drink or shot, and also no less then $5 on any "tab" of any kind. If I sit down at a pizza shop with a waitress and my bill comes to $12, the waitress get's $5. Order Chineese and it's $17? Tip is $5. Generally I do not ask for coins back either, and that is added to whatever tip I decide to give.

It looks like the 13% gratuity was included automatically, also, there was a 9% "service charge," which means he paid 22% over the tab, (and we don't actually know if he tipped over that either.)
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron