A historical comparison of Joe Flacco through year #5- Part One

In hopes of illustrating how ridiculously underrated Joe Flacco has been thus far in his career, I am providing a 3-pronged statistical breakdown of how he compares to all other QBs in modern-era NFL history. In order to be eligible for consideration, you have to be in the top 120 QBs in NFL history in passing yards and have completed 5 NFL seasons. This is also for all QBs who started their careers post 1960, which eliminates Graham, Jurgensen, Unitas, and Starr.

Regular Season Wins (first 5 seasons)

1- Matt Ryan-56
    2- Joe Flaco-54
    3- Ben Roethlisberger-51
    4- Tom Brady-48
    Dan Marino-48
    6- John Elway-46
    7- Donovan McNabb-43
    8- Peyton Manning-42
    Drew Bledsoe-42
    Eli Manning
    10-Steve Grogan-41

Other Hall of Famers: (13) Troy Aikman-38, (14) Joe Namath-37, (22) Terry Bradshaw-32, (29)Bob Griese -29, (30)Joe Montana-28, Fran Tarkenton-23, Dan Fouts-12, Jim Kelly-10

Postseason Wins (first five seasons)

1- Joe Flacco(9), Tom Brady (9)
    3- Ben Roethlisberger (8)
    4- Troy Aikman (6)
    5- John Elway (4), Donovan McNabb (4), Brett Favre (4), Terry Bradshaw (4), Joe Montana (4), Eli Manning (4)
    11- Steve McNair Drew Bledsoe (3), Dan Marino (3), Philip Rivers (3)

Total Wins (first 5 seasons)

1- Joe Flacco (63)

2- Ben Roethlisberger (59)
    3- Tom Brady (57), Matt Ryan (57)
    5- Dan Marino (51)
    6- John Elway (50
    )
    7- Donovan McNabb (47)
    8- Eli Manning (46)
    9- Drew Bledsoe (45)
    10- Troy Aikman (44)
    11- Peyton Manning (42)

Other Hall of Famers: Namath (39), Terry Bradshaw (36), Montana (32)
    Last edited by LukeDaniel; 06-20-2013 at 11:10 AM.

Re: A historical comparison of Joe Flacco through year #5- Part One

Yup...definitely a bum, that Flacco.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

wins are a tough stat to use to prove how good or bad a QB he is. Remember that a couple years ago, Matt Cassel QB'd an 11 win team the whole year. I know you will be posting other stats that go along with this, but all that wins as a stat prove is that Joe Flacco was the starting QB on an outstanding NFL team for his first 5 years. Whether he was the biggest piece of that or just along for a ride, or in the middle, is what the other stats will fill in.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

To be fair, a lot of QBs don't start the first game of their rookie season and keep starting; also some are very high picks for terrible teams that take a while to get better.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Everything that Ravenswintitle says and the old timers deserve to be graded on a curve since the regular season was only 14 games long.

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    wins are a tough stat to use to prove how good or bad a QB he is. Remember that a couple years ago, Matt Cassel QB'd an 11 win team the whole year. I know you will be posting other stats that go along with this, but all that wins as a stat prove is that Joe Flacco was the starting QB on an outstanding NFL team for his first 5 years. Whether he was the biggest piece of that or just along for a ride, or in the middle, is what the other stats will fill in.
    I hear what your saying but it seems that all of the critics put wins/losses at the top of the stat sheet when it comes to rating the QB. Also, plug any one of the many QB's that have come through the system over the past 17 years in the starting line up over the past 5 years, and then ask yourself: Would we have won as many games?
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

I think it can be tricky when considering a year or two (Matt Cassel, Mark Sanchez).

However, five years ain't no fluke.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore