Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Rex Ryan: "I'm a hell of a lot better football coach than I'm given credit for"

Pollard is the only one running with that "Mutiny Hit List" theory. Boldin was overpaid for his age, Ed Reed wanted too much money for his age.

Generally speaking, Harbaugh invites more team unity than Rex would. Rex is a big players coach, but he also seems like a guy who would let them run the court, meaning if there's a dispute, he steps back and let's them fight it out.

So if you are to believe the mutiny storyline, Rex would've handled that by just saying "Okay, you guys don't want to practice in pads, so we're not practicing in pads!". Again speculation, but perhaps this team gets softer as the year goes on, because Rex just caves, and we don't get past Divisional Round.

Again, all speculation...if Rex was here, Cam wouldn't have been the OC period, much less remained it for as long as he did.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Re: Rex Ryan: "I'm a hell of a lot better football coach than I'm given credit for"

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Exactly.

HARBS would be out of football had he gone to Miami or Buffalo.

He has Ozzie feeding him. NOt even Andy Reid could blow SB 47 with all the talent Ozzie
    gave him.

HARBs wouldn't have done any better in NY than Rex and maybe not as well.

Rex did go to the AFC Championship game twice in a row and with Sanchez. So much for
    offense.

That said, I can see why Bisciotti wouldn't want Rex as head coach for reasons posted
    above but I still would have loved to see what he might have done with Flacco and
    Rice and especially on the defensive side.
    Sounds like someone doesn't think much of John Harbaugh. Harbaugh has had more success with the Ravens then any other Raven coach, I'm sure Ozzie told Harbaugh how to handle the injury problem and who to play. LOL Harbaugh has a SB ring in his first five years as a HC, rex has nothing but problems. Rex will have problems as long as he is a HC, too much mouth and not enough brains to overcome his ego. If Harbaugh and the Ravens make post season this year, all the haters will be upset. And I believe the Ravens make post season again, their conference is in a rebuilding mode and with Flacco playing healthy, watch out.
    Rex would have had problems coaching the Ravens with his big mouth. Anyone remember his timeout that cost the Ravens a win against the pats. Great DC do that right?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Pollard is the only one running with that "Mutiny Hit List" theory. Boldin was overpaid for his age, Ed Reed wanted too much money for his age.

Generally speaking, Harbaugh invites more team unity than Rex would. Rex is a big players coach, but he also seems like a guy who would let them run the court, meaning if there's a dispute, he steps back and let's them fight it out.

So if you are to believe the mutiny storyline, Rex would've handled that by just saying "Okay, you guys don't want to practice in pads, so we're not practicing in pads!". Again speculation,
    Not quite. Boldin said there were players that acted as he put it unprofessionally in the
    locker room and he's gone too.

And don't forget, it was the players that brought in McKinnie. Ray, Reed and Birk went to
    Oz and begged him to sign Big Mac when Oher was struggling and when you and all
    the fans were praising Oher at LT.

Then he ends up in HARBs dog house or whatever but CAldwell takes over and moves
    Oher back to RT, and inserts Mac at LT and KO at LG and wham - we win the rest of the
    games because HARBS was forced to make changes.

So you and some fans can continue to put your face in the sand and everyone sure was
    upset when Boldin left and he wasn't too old making all those catches that won the SB\
    and SF jumped for him when he was offered.

So now he's too old to pay for?

Geesh.

Blog Entries

I don't see anywhere in there where you prove that Harbaugh made the move on Boldin because of the locker room incident.

I'd love to have Boldin here, but it's evident that Ozzie had no plans of keeping him around past this year, otherwise why NOT extend him? And if it was because of the mutiny, why go through the sham of demanding a pay cut first? Why wouldn't you just outright trade or cut him?

Maybe Big Mac would've helped us, maybe not. Did we win the SB? Really, there's no questioning that decision for last year, because it ended with us hoisting a Lombardi. Who knows if we put in Big Mac from Week 1, he gets injured mid-season, and our OL for the playoffs is moving Oher back to LT and playing Harewood at RT...
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Then he ends up in HARBs dog house or whatever but CAldwell takes over and moves Oher back to RT, and inserts Mac at LT and KO at LG and wham - we win the rest of the games because HARBS was forced to make changes.
    Caldwell did not make the McKinnie move. Harbaugh did. And if McKinnie hadn't practiced well the previous weeks and performed well vs. the Bengals, he would not have started the playoffs.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Not quite. Boldin said there were players that acted as he put it unprofessionally in the

And don't forget, it was the players that brought in McKinnie. Ray, Reed and Birk went to

Then he ends up in HARBs dog house or whatever but CAldwell takes over and moves
    Oher back to RT, and inserts Mac at LT and KO at LG and wham - we win the rest of the

So you and some fans can continue to put your face in the sand and everyone sure was
    upset when Boldin left and he wasn't too old making all those catches that won the SB\

Geesh.
    Not exactly, but revisionist history is always convenient.

1) Boldin was on everyone's radar as a cap casualty prior to the playoffs. One great playoff run doesn't change that.

2) Caldwell took over with three games left in the regular season. McKinnie didn't play until the last game of the regular season, so the whole "Harbaugh was forced to make the move" is bogus. Oher played LT against the New York Giants in the 33-14 blow out, not McKinnie.

3) McKinnie is quoted as saying he wasn't in shape to play and had to prove himself ready: “In fairness, I had a hip flexor earlier in the year. He put me in the Houston game (Week 7), and that was my chance, but I re-injured it and it took about a month to heal. At that point, he asked me to show him in practice that I was healthy again. But by that time, practices had been scaled down, most of what we were doing was walking through, and I couldn’t really show him anything. It was tough.” So much for the "doghouse"; if it exists guys are there because they aren't giving 100%; not because the player is disliked.

4) Rex is known for dividing a locker room; Harbaugh is known for unifying one. Several of the new veterans have commented about the welcoming atmosphere and the fact that groups aren't separated as offense, defense, etc. Everyone is just mixed together.

5) There is a lot more leadership on the Ravens than two or three guys. Plenty of players are going to step up - they just never needed to (nor was it appropriate) over the past couple of years. So many people love to say, "next man up." That goes for leaders, too. Harbaugh has fostered that kind of environment. It's apparent in New York that Rex hasn't been able to do that.

Blog Entries

Also, might be worth mentioning that after Ray, Reed, etc left...McKinnie still re-signed here. If this locker room suddenly had the stink of Harbaugh dictating the tone and getting rid of any guys who didn't get in line, wouldn't McKinnie be opt to say "nah, I'll take my chances in SD or Miami", especially considering the way everything went down last year?

Geesh.
    In your world, it seems like Harbs is able to do Ozzie's job (decide what players to cut), while Caldwell is able to do Harbs job (take people out of the infamous "Harbs Dog House.") Must be an interesting place to live.
    "Leave. Your. Mark."

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Quote Originally Posted by Strange Bru View Post
    I will admit I was one of those guys who wanted Rex to our HC, but with my impeccable 20/20 hindsight I am so glad he wasn't hired for the job. Just imagine the heartbreak we would have dealt with these past 5 seasons instead of the back to back to back to back to back playoffs run.

He is awesome as a DC, but he is the Kyle Boller of HC's.
    WRONG! Boller carried himself publicly WAY better.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Also, might be worth mentioning that after Ray, Reed, etc left...McKinnie still re-signed here. If this locker room suddenly had the stink of Harbaugh dictating the tone and getting rid of any guys who didn't get in line, wouldn't McKinnie be opt to say "nah, I'll take my chances in SD or Miami",
    No.

Pollard wanted to stay and is still pissed as hell and refused to show up for his ring or
    the White HOuse.

Said to mail ring to him.

Boldin wanted to stay and originally said he'd retire if released but changed his
    mind when he got another chance to go back to the SB. My fear is that he does for
    SF what he did for us and vs us this time, thus, turning the tables.

Reed wanted to stay and did you notice that Ravens asked Jacoby JOnes to present the
    bikes to the NO Police Dept instead of Reed who also lives there and is the best Safety
    to ever play. Were Ravens were scared of Ed opening his mouth like he's doing in
    Houston now blaming Brady for his injury. Just saying, ya know.

McKinnie wanted to and did stay and reported in shape this year after testing the
    market and he knows he has a chance of getting another ring here. HARBs makes the final
    decisions but the moves weren't made until Caldwell became O-Coord - no small
    coincidence. HARBs usually
    signs off on their recommendations.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 06-16-2013 at 12:56 AM.

iggyman555 Guest

this has the potential to be epic

Blog Entries

When someone says they don't want the credit they really want the credit.
    He Who Dares.....Wins

Blog Entries
    I think that Rex is a better defensive coordinator than what the Jets have produced. However, it takes more than being a great coordinator to be a great head coach.

Rex will fall into categories with guys like Norv Turner, Wade Phillips, Jack Del Rio, and many others who are great coordinators, but just didnt have the "stuff" to be an effective head coach.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    When someone says they don't want the credit they really want the credit.
    Haha yup.

Also with the Pollard mess, he was just cut. Regardless of why, he was cut. Boldin was given a chance to take less in a market where his pay didn't match performance/ability. He didn't take it so he was traded. With Ed, the Ravens pretty much knew that his body was on no more legs and you now see it in Hou. McKinnie said in an interview that he wasn't healthy all year as well as not being in game shape. He mentioned coming to Harbs before the NY game IIRC saying he was ready and Harbs told him to prove it in practice, but his injury still wasn't right. Before the Cinci game, he had the practice that Harbs would sign off on. He played in that game as a gear up and the rest was history.

Players come here because of the perceived fairness that Harbs brings. Corey Graham said as much before signing with the Ravens after speaking to BA, so not every player shares that problem with Harbs. So far it looks to be only journeyman Pollard.

Even Flacco told Pollard to shut it in so many words as he was complaining after the Houston game. A couple of local reporters mention that every time someone brings up Pollard. Pollard was divisive and he was one of my top 5 in favorites on the team last year to the point I almost got his jersey.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I think that Rex is a better defensive coordinator than what the Jets have produced. However, it takes more than being a great coordinator to be a great head coach.

Rex will fall into categories with guys like Norv Turner, Wade Phillips, Jack Del Rio, and many others who are great coordinators, but just didnt have the "stuff" to be an effective head coach.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    To be fair, I think Del Rio could have done something had he hit on his QB. Then again, that is a part of being the HC. You tend to have a bit of say in who that franchise guy is going to be. Maybe not 'thee' say, but 'a' significant say.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"