Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Rex Ryan: "I'm a hell of a lot better football coach than I'm given credit for"

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    To be fair, I think Rex has gotten a bad hand in New York. But it was one he gladly took on.

I gave Harbaugh a ton of credit for getting this team through the amazing 5 year run we've had. But he also had the benefit of having Ozzie Newsome as well....
    Exactly.

HARBS would be out of football had he gone to Miami or Buffalo.

He has Ozzie feeding him. NOt even Andy Reid could blow SB 47 with all the talent Ozzie
    gave him.

HARBs wouldn't have done any better in NY than Rex and maybe not as well.

Rex did go to the AFC Championship game twice in a row and with Sanchez. So much for
    offense.

That said, I can see why Bisciotti wouldn't want Rex as head coach for reasons posted
    above but I still would have loved to see what he might have done with Flacco and
    Rice and especially on the defensive side.

Blog Entries

Re: Rex Ryan: "I'm a hell of a lot better football coach than I'm given credit for"

Quote Originally Posted by trailhiker85 View Post
    "I'm a hell of a lot better football coach than I'm given credit for," Ryan told Newsday
    Of course!
    He is not given a lot of credit for being a great HC, so he has to be better than he is given credit for.

If you took a test and got a 50/100 and everyone expected you to get 10/100, you did 5 times better than they were giving you credit for. You still failed.

Don't get me wrong, I like Rex, just don't think he is a great HC. A very smart and savvy DC, but still not a great coach when it comes to overall team issues, not X's and O's
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Blog Entries

On the other hand, I think Rex could've easily ruined Flacco...

Sanchez didn't really have the "Cam-Cuffs" on him. I imagine Rex would've tried to turn Flacco loose from the get-go, and Flacco needed some rigidity to pickup the NFL game. Where he would've REALLY had some problems would've been around 2010-2011. We brought in Zorn as QB coach and Flacco did pretty well, but after the season, it was said that Cam and Zorn didn't get along, and Zorn was let go. Joe's development stagnated at that point, and quietly you had some members of the D waffling on their support of Joe.

Harbaugh is a very diplomatic leader. He focuses a lot more on team unity and respect, and if there are problems, he deals with it more quietly and respectfully. I think Rex at the helm with Joe struggling would've led to a smaller version of what we're seeing in New York. Defense would start ragging on him, Rex would let it happen, and we'd end up with another fractured locker room. Especially when Ray Rice is doing as well as he's doing, D might start questioning why we don't just run the ball more.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by Bawlamer View Post
    I've never seen anyone set themselves up for derogatory remarks than Rex.
    He gets it honest. His dad was the same blow hard, self promoting, ego maniac that Rex is today. However, the truth is that both were great DC's. Their problem is/was that neither understood that being a great DC does not mean that will equate to being a great HC.
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

On the other hand, I think Rex could've easily ruined Flacco...

Sanchez didn't really have the "Cam-Cuffs" on him. I imagine Rex would've tried to turn Flacco loose from the get-go, and Flacco needed some rigidity to pickup the NFL game. Where he would've REALLY had some problems would've been around 2010-2011. We brought in Zorn as QB coach and Flacco did pretty well, but after the season, it was said that Cam and Zorn didn't get along, and Zorn was let go. Joe's development stagnated at that point, and quietly you had some members of the D waffling on their support of Joe.

Harbaugh is a very diplomatic leader. He focuses a lot more on team unity and respect, and if there are problems, he deals with it more quietly and respectfully. I think Rex at the helm with Joe struggling would've led to a smaller version of what we're seeing in New York. Defense would start ragging on him, Rex would let it happen, and we'd end up with another fractured locker room. Especially when Ray Rice is doing as well as he's doing, D might start questioning why we don't just run the ball more.
    Diplomatic leader? Tell that to Pollard, Boldin and Reed. Everyone left is afraid to open
    his mouth as the players revolted vs HARBS too which led to CAMs dismissal and Caldwell
    taking over and taking us to the SB. Reed was saying on the sideline, this is the lineup
    we wanted. This is the lineup we wanted. It took a revolt to get it.

Rex would have gone to the SB with Joe and Rice in his backfield.

HARBs took a page out of Rex's handbook at the end of the SB by blitzing on every play.
    Camden Yard posted some quotes from a business luncheon HARBs spoke at and he told'
    them that he remembered the PHilly game at the end when they moved on us and Vick
    ran it in for the win HARBs said he didn't want K to run it in and ordered his coach to blitz and put the pressure on.

Rex would have won the PHilly game and the Skins game and would have had the home
    field advantage vs NE the last two years. Every year HARBs loses 2 or 3 games he should
    have won which cost us the home field advantage. Hell, Charlie batch beat him this
    year and Dixon almost beat him. That's 3 wins we should have had and no one from Bmore
    has to trek up to NE.

That's just a humble freaking opinion.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 06-15-2013 at 01:25 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Rex would have gone to the SB with Joe and Rice in his backfield.

Rex would have won the PHilly game and the Skins game and would have had the home
    field advantage vs NE the last two years. That's just a humble freaking opinion.
    LOL...speculation without possibly knowing the outcomes. Meanwhile Harbaugh has 5 consecutive playoff runs, and a Super Bowl ring, but you believe Rex would have done better. I think not! Ask Ravens fans if they would trade JH for Rex, and see the results... Bc

Blog Entries

Pollard is the only one running with that "Mutiny Hit List" theory. Boldin was overpaid for his age, Ed Reed wanted too much money for his age.

Generally speaking, Harbaugh invites more team unity than Rex would. Rex is a big players coach, but he also seems like a guy who would let them run the court, meaning if there's a dispute, he steps back and let's them fight it out.

So if you are to believe the mutiny storyline, Rex would've handled that by just saying "Okay, you guys don't want to practice in pads, so we're not practicing in pads!". Again speculation, but perhaps this team gets softer as the year goes on, because Rex just caves, and we don't get past Divisional Round.

Again, all speculation...if Rex was here, Cam wouldn't have been the OC period, much less remained it for as long as he did.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Exactly.

HARBS would be out of football had he gone to Miami or Buffalo.

He has Ozzie feeding him. NOt even Andy Reid could blow SB 47 with all the talent Ozzie
    gave him.

HARBs wouldn't have done any better in NY than Rex and maybe not as well.

Rex did go to the AFC Championship game twice in a row and with Sanchez. So much for
    offense.

That said, I can see why Bisciotti wouldn't want Rex as head coach for reasons posted
    above but I still would have loved to see what he might have done with Flacco and
    Rice and especially on the defensive side.
    Sounds like someone doesn't think much of John Harbaugh. Harbaugh has had more success with the Ravens then any other Raven coach, I'm sure Ozzie told Harbaugh how to handle the injury problem and who to play. LOL Harbaugh has a SB ring in his first five years as a HC, rex has nothing but problems. Rex will have problems as long as he is a HC, too much mouth and not enough brains to overcome his ego. If Harbaugh and the Ravens make post season this year, all the haters will be upset. And I believe the Ravens make post season again, their conference is in a rebuilding mode and with Flacco playing healthy, watch out.
    Rex would have had problems coaching the Ravens with his big mouth. Anyone remember his timeout that cost the Ravens a win against the pats. Great DC do that right?

Blog Entries

Pollard is the only one running with that "Mutiny Hit List" theory. Boldin was overpaid for his age, Ed Reed wanted too much money for his age.

Generally speaking, Harbaugh invites more team unity than Rex would. Rex is a big players coach, but he also seems like a guy who would let them run the court, meaning if there's a dispute, he steps back and let's them fight it out.

So if you are to believe the mutiny storyline, Rex would've handled that by just saying "Okay, you guys don't want to practice in pads, so we're not practicing in pads!". Again speculation,
    Not quite. Boldin said there were players that acted as he put it unprofessionally in the
    locker room and he's gone too.

And don't forget, it was the players that brought in McKinnie. Ray, Reed and Birk went to
    Oz and begged him to sign Big Mac when Oher was struggling and when you and all
    the fans were praising Oher at LT.

Then he ends up in HARBs dog house or whatever but CAldwell takes over and moves
    Oher back to RT, and inserts Mac at LT and KO at LG and wham - we win the rest of the
    games because HARBS was forced to make changes.

So you and some fans can continue to put your face in the sand and everyone sure was
    upset when Boldin left and he wasn't too old making all those catches that won the SB\
    and SF jumped for him when he was offered.

So now he's too old to pay for?

Geesh.

Blog Entries

I don't see anywhere in there where you prove that Harbaugh made the move on Boldin because of the locker room incident.

I'd love to have Boldin here, but it's evident that Ozzie had no plans of keeping him around past this year, otherwise why NOT extend him? And if it was because of the mutiny, why go through the sham of demanding a pay cut first? Why wouldn't you just outright trade or cut him?

Maybe Big Mac would've helped us, maybe not. Did we win the SB? Really, there's no questioning that decision for last year, because it ended with us hoisting a Lombardi. Who knows if we put in Big Mac from Week 1, he gets injured mid-season, and our OL for the playoffs is moving Oher back to LT and playing Harewood at RT...

Then he ends up in HARBs dog house or whatever but CAldwell takes over and moves Oher back to RT, and inserts Mac at LT and KO at LG and wham - we win the rest of the games because HARBS was forced to make changes.
    Caldwell did not make the McKinnie move. Harbaugh did. And if McKinnie hadn't practiced well the previous weeks and performed well vs. the Bengals, he would not have started the playoffs.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Not quite. Boldin said there were players that acted as he put it unprofessionally in the
    locker room and he's gone too.

And don't forget, it was the players that brought in McKinnie. Ray, Reed and Birk went to
    Oz and begged him to sign Big Mac when Oher was struggling and when you and all
    the fans were praising Oher at LT.

Then he ends up in HARBs dog house or whatever but CAldwell takes over and moves
    Oher back to RT, and inserts Mac at LT and KO at LG and wham - we win the rest of the
    games because HARBS was forced to make changes.

So you and some fans can continue to put your face in the sand and everyone sure was
    upset when Boldin left and he wasn't too old making all those catches that won the SB\
    and SF jumped for him when he was offered.

So now he's too old to pay for?

Geesh.
    Not exactly, but revisionist history is always convenient.

1) Boldin was on everyone's radar as a cap casualty prior to the playoffs. One great playoff run doesn't change that.

2) Caldwell took over with three games left in the regular season. McKinnie didn't play until the last game of the regular season, so the whole "Harbaugh was forced to make the move" is bogus. Oher played LT against the New York Giants in the 33-14 blow out, not McKinnie.

3) McKinnie is quoted as saying he wasn't in shape to play and had to prove himself ready: “In fairness, I had a hip flexor earlier in the year. He put me in the Houston game (Week 7), and that was my chance, but I re-injured it and it took about a month to heal. At that point, he asked me to show him in practice that I was healthy again. But by that time, practices had been scaled down, most of what we were doing was walking through, and I couldn’t really show him anything. It was tough.” So much for the "doghouse"; if it exists guys are there because they aren't giving 100%; not because the player is disliked.

4) Rex is known for dividing a locker room; Harbaugh is known for unifying one. Several of the new veterans have commented about the welcoming atmosphere and the fact that groups aren't separated as offense, defense, etc. Everyone is just mixed together.

5) There is a lot more leadership on the Ravens than two or three guys. Plenty of players are going to step up - they just never needed to (nor was it appropriate) over the past couple of years. So many people love to say, "next man up." That goes for leaders, too. Harbaugh has fostered that kind of environment. It's apparent in New York that Rex hasn't been able to do that.