Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Rex Ryan: "I'm a hell of a lot better football coach than I'm given credit for"

Also, might be worth mentioning that after Ray, Reed, etc left...McKinnie still re-signed here. If this locker room suddenly had the stink of Harbaugh dictating the tone and getting rid of any guys who didn't get in line, wouldn't McKinnie be opt to say "nah, I'll take my chances in SD or Miami", especially considering the way everything went down last year?
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Re: Rex Ryan: "I'm a hell of a lot better football coach than I'm given credit for"

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Not quite. Boldin said there were players that acted as he put it unprofessionally in the
    locker room and he's gone too.

And don't forget, it was the players that brought in McKinnie. Ray, Reed and Birk went to
    Oz and begged him to sign Big Mac when Oher was struggling and when you and all
    the fans were praising Oher at LT.

Then he ends up in HARBs dog house or whatever but CAldwell takes over and moves
    Oher back to RT, and inserts Mac at LT and KO at LG and wham - we win the rest of the
    games because HARBS was forced to make changes.

So you and some fans can continue to put your face in the sand and everyone sure was
    upset when Boldin left and he wasn't too old making all those catches that won the SB\
    and SF jumped for him when he was offered.

So now he's too old to pay for?

Geesh.
    In your world, it seems like Harbs is able to do Ozzie's job (decide what players to cut), while Caldwell is able to do Harbs job (take people out of the infamous "Harbs Dog House.") Must be an interesting place to live.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Quote Originally Posted by Strange Bru View Post
    I will admit I was one of those guys who wanted Rex to our HC, but with my impeccable 20/20 hindsight I am so glad he wasn't hired for the job. Just imagine the heartbreak we would have dealt with these past 5 seasons instead of the back to back to back to back to back playoffs run.

He is awesome as a DC, but he is the Kyle Boller of HC's.
    WRONG! Boller carried himself publicly WAY better.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Also, might be worth mentioning that after Ray, Reed, etc left...McKinnie still re-signed here. If this locker room suddenly had the stink of Harbaugh dictating the tone and getting rid of any guys who didn't get in line, wouldn't McKinnie be opt to say "nah, I'll take my chances in SD or Miami",
    No.

Pollard wanted to stay and is still pissed as hell and refused to show up for his ring or
    the White HOuse.

Said to mail ring to him.

Boldin wanted to stay and originally said he'd retire if released but changed his
    mind when he got another chance to go back to the SB. My fear is that he does for
    SF what he did for us and vs us this time, thus, turning the tables.

Reed wanted to stay and did you notice that Ravens asked Jacoby JOnes to present the
    bikes to the NO Police Dept instead of Reed who also lives there and is the best Safety
    to ever play. Were Ravens were scared of Ed opening his mouth like he's doing in
    Houston now blaming Brady for his injury. Just saying, ya know.

McKinnie wanted to and did stay and reported in shape this year after testing the
    market and he knows he has a chance of getting another ring here. HARBs makes the final
    decisions but the moves weren't made until Caldwell became O-Coord - no small
    coincidence. HARBs usually
    signs off on their recommendations.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 06-16-2013 at 12:56 AM.

iggyman555 Guest

this has the potential to be epic

Blog Entries

When someone says they don't want the credit they really want the credit.

Blog Entries
    I think that Rex is a better defensive coordinator than what the Jets have produced. However, it takes more than being a great coordinator to be a great head coach.

Rex will fall into categories with guys like Norv Turner, Wade Phillips, Jack Del Rio, and many others who are great coordinators, but just didnt have the "stuff" to be an effective head coach.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    When someone says they don't want the credit they really want the credit.
    Haha yup.

Also with the Pollard mess, he was just cut. Regardless of why, he was cut. Boldin was given a chance to take less in a market where his pay didn't match performance/ability. He didn't take it so he was traded. With Ed, the Ravens pretty much knew that his body was on no more legs and you now see it in Hou. McKinnie said in an interview that he wasn't healthy all year as well as not being in game shape. He mentioned coming to Harbs before the NY game IIRC saying he was ready and Harbs told him to prove it in practice, but his injury still wasn't right. Before the Cinci game, he had the practice that Harbs would sign off on. He played in that game as a gear up and the rest was history.

Players come here because of the perceived fairness that Harbs brings. Corey Graham said as much before signing with the Ravens after speaking to BA, so not every player shares that problem with Harbs. So far it looks to be only journeyman Pollard.

Even Flacco told Pollard to shut it in so many words as he was complaining after the Houston game. A couple of local reporters mention that every time someone brings up Pollard. Pollard was divisive and he was one of my top 5 in favorites on the team last year to the point I almost got his jersey.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I think that Rex is a better defensive coordinator than what the Jets have produced. However, it takes more than being a great coordinator to be a great head coach.

Rex will fall into categories with guys like Norv Turner, Wade Phillips, Jack Del Rio, and many others who are great coordinators, but just didnt have the "stuff" to be an effective head coach.

To be fair, I think Del Rio could have done something had he hit on his QB. Then again, that is a part of being the HC. You tend to have a bit of say in who that franchise guy is going to be. Maybe not 'thee' say, but 'a' significant say.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post

To be fair, I think Del Rio could have done something had he hit on his QB. Then again, that is a part of being the HC. You tend to have a bit of say in who that franchise guy is going to be. Maybe not 'thee' say, but 'a' significant say.
    Some coaches just can get more out of some players. Del Rio seemed to kind of be mailing it in the last couple of seasons in Jacksonville. Spending top 10 picks on major busts can really kill your franchise (Derrick Harvey and Tyson Alualu). Still, the Jags have been a mess for a while.

It'll be interesting to see how they do this year. Cleveland too.

It would be an accomplishment in and of itself for those teams to get to 500 this year.

Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Being considered a good coach is kind of like getting a nickname, it doesn't count if you're the only one saying it.

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Strange Bru View Post
    Being considered a good coach is kind of like getting a nickname, it doesn't count if you're the only one saying it.
    Well played. And I've always said if you're really good at something, you don't have to tell people

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!