Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

Completely OT, but for the "old-timers"

Sorry to veer away from football, but SWMBO just informed me that a dear friend of her Mom died a couple months ago. Without using actual names (to protect the innocent), the lady who passed was the wife of the guy who Alan Alda and the MASH producers used as the basis for the character B.J. Hunnicutt. SWMBO and her sisters grew up in the same NC neighborhood with the "Hunnicutts", and played as kids with their kids. Mrs. Hunnicutt came up to visit SWMBO's Mom in E.C. a number of years ago (well after the Doc passed), and was quite the charming lady - evidently she was a Master Gardener and just a really nice person.

I realize this is not Ravens related, but I know some of youse guys are old farts and remember MASH...

Mods, forgive me! ;)

Blog Entries

Re: Completely OT, but for the "old-timers"

Remember MASH??!?!?! Sacre dieux! I saw the original movie in a thee-ay-ter, first run!

Hey MASH ended before I was even born, but I still enjoyed it, the movie in particular. Young people are people too :(

Blog Entries

Who can forget MASH. Even the young guys show know about it. Re-run's are on cable every
    night and the actors get royalties every time it's re-shown.

I saw the original movie in London and the place went wild.

Speaking of football, it was hilarious in the movie when they had a football game between
    two MASH units and Hawkeye's team was smoking weed and passed it down the bench.
    LOndoners loved it. Ben Davidson of the Raiders was the one smoking and passing it down
    to Tim Brown of the Colts. Brown played a ringer Hawkeye's team used in the movie to beat
    the other team.

Donald Southerland played the original Hawkeye and Elliott Gould played BJ' role. Also
    funny was when Gould met Hawkeye for the first time and Hawkeye gave him a martini
    and Gould asked for an olive.

Hawkeye said, do you know where the hell we are. We're in the middle of Korea and you
    ask for an olive for a maritini you're lucky to get. Then Gould pulls out a jar of olives
    and dumps one in the drink.

Alan Alda, who looks so old now, see pic in link played Hawkeye in the TV series and the show became such an American institution there's a display about it in the Smithsonian Institute.

The guys who played Radar and Father Mulcahy in the TV show also played the same role in
    the Altman movie. Here's the cast of the TV series.

http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Klinger's role was always hilarious. He was always trying to get out on a Section 8 by wearing
    woman's clothes. One day there was a visiting General and Klinger was on gaurd duty to
    meet him totally naked. BJ looked at him and sarcasticly said "You're disgusting."

When I was drafted and went for my induction physical there were guys who actually showed
    up wearing woman's clothes to get out. The Army didn't buy it in real life either-lol.

'
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 06-14-2013 at 09:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Donald Southerland played the original Hawkeye and Elliott Gould played BJ' role.
    There was no 'BJ' in the movie. Gould played Trapper John.

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    The guys who played Radar and Father Mulcahy in the TV show also played the same role in the Altman movie. Here's the cast of the TV series.
    William Christopher (Mulcahy) was not in the movie.

Are you old enough to remember when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

The characters name in the original movie who played the Chaplin was " Dego Red"

lob-
    Saw it "at the movies" as well, back in the early 70's in Blacksburg!
    spidey-
    No offense meant, mon ami. I just figured there're a bunch of "mature":) vets on here who would immediately remember Hunnicutt, who as moose noted, wasn't in the original movie but was introduced in the series (when Trapper was discharged back to the States, IIRC).

AF-
    Not the most politically correct name, but wasn't Brown's character named 'Spearchucker Jones', or something like that? As funny as much of the movie was, the football game was hilarious! You had to watch everything going on in the periphery of the camera shots, there was a lot of funny stuff.

moose-
    I ain't no more-on! I remember when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor! ;)

Mrs. H said her husband was a technical consultant of sorts, and the show would have him recount incidents that were used to build certain episodes. Wish I could have spent time with 'B.J.' to hear first-hand stuff. In real life, SWMBO said he was a great guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Petard View Post
    Sorry to veer away from football, but SWMBO just informed me that a dear friend of her Mom died a couple months ago. Without using actual names (to protect the innocent), the lady who passed was the wife of the guy who Alan Alda and the MASH producers used as the basis for the character B.J. Hunnicutt. SWMBO and her sisters grew up in the same NC neighborhood with the "Hunnicutts", and played as kids with their kids. Mrs. Hunnicutt came up to visit SWMBO's Mom in E.C. a number of years ago (well after the Doc passed), and was quite the charming lady - evidently she was a Master Gardener and just a really nice person.

I realize this is not Ravens related, but I know some of youse guys are old farts and remember MASH...

Mods, forgive me! ;)
    Old Timers! I resemble that statement. I was and still am a huge M.A.S.H. fan. Was very sad when it finally went off the air although it was getting kind of old and stale. Yes in the movie Brown's name was Spearchucker Jones, if I am not mistaken it was due to his track and field prowess in college for the back story. Great show

Loved MASH. That was appointment television in our house.

I always catch a show or two when its on the tube.

Beau -- No worries on the OT nature of the thread. We allow them during the off season.

MASHS spells HAMS! What's the other "S" for? It stands for Salt. We throw that away!!!

On your BIG FAT FLAT ENDTABLE HEAD, Beau!!!

BAWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!

How do you like me now??!!!

BBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRPPP!!!!

I FEEL BETTER NOW!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Petard View Post
    Not the most politically correct name, but wasn't Brown's character named 'Spearchucker Jones', or something like that? As funny as much of the movie was, the football game was hilarious!
    That was Fred Williamson (formerly with the Chiefs); Tim Brown was Cpl. Judson. Surprisingly, the Jones character carried over to the TV show for a few weeks (not with Williamson), until they must have figured out that you can get away with a lot less on TV.

My favorite part of the football game was at the gun to end the first half, when Hot Lips yells, "Oh my God, they've shot him!".
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

HR-Thanks, I didn't want to go too deep into the weeds, but I was kinda surprised and sad to hear about the lovely Mrs. Hunnicutt. Like the BALTIMORE Colts, another little piece of life that will be sorely missed...:(

ed--
    Agree completely, great show but it was time for it to go.

R-44-
    O....M.....G!!!:happyanim I had NO IDEE-AR!!! How are ya, mon ami? Please tell everyone howdy for me, and give xxx's and ooo's to you know who (no, NOT Gary! )

moose-
    Thanks for the clarification on the football ringers' IDs. Sometimes the memory gets a little fuzzy due to the extreme mental "stress" many of us experienced in the 60's/70's! ;)