Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Completely OT, but for the "old-timers"

"Rogers and Stevenson were much funnier and left for other roles and Rogers didn't
    like taking a back seat to Allan Alda."

Actually, Rogers was a hard guy to work with as a general rule. It might have been because he was very financially smart and he knew it. He wanted a bigger salary and other benefits while on MASH and when CBS didn't agree, he walked off the show.

Supposedly, he made almost as much, if not more, as a financial investor and a number of Hollywood personalities (like Peter Falk) had him invest for them! He still did some acting but he never had to rely on that alone!

Other actors also were very financially astute. Fess Parker made big money in real estate and he even had a successful winery!

However, perhaps the biggest of them all, and maybe the richest of them all was Randolph Scott. A reporter once asked him something like, "Mr. Scott, a select few have mentioned that you might be the richest man in all of Hollywood. Is there any truth to that rumor?"

Scott paused and then replied, "Oh, I don't really know that much about that stuff you call investing. All I ever do when I get some money is buy land!"

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    Killing off Colonel Blake took some guts. The shows ratings reflected its popularity.
    My understanding is that McLean Stevenson had pissed off the producers in his decision to leave the show, so he was killed off to prevent his return. The ultimate "screw you" to the actor.

Mash had more one liners than Bob Hope... remember him?

The first time I saw the movie was years after watching the TV show. Needless to say I was shocked when I first heard the lyrics to the TV theme song used in the movie.

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    My understanding is that McLean Stevenson had pissed off the producers in his decision to leave the show, so he was killed off to prevent his return. The ultimate "screw you" to the actor.
    Yes, that's exactly right and I meant to say that above and yes, Rogers was hard to
    work with. Both actors were great character actors and broke the cardinal rule of Hollywood -
    never leave a successful series for another role.

That's what Pernell Roberts of Bonanza did and it was about 20 years before he got
    another leading role.

Here's some celebrity trivia.

Bob Hope and Frank Sinatra were billionaires and Sinatra gave more money to charity than any other performer. He sued the BBC for millions when they accused his son of staging his own
    kidnapping. The FBI proved it was real and got the real guys and get this. He said he was
    gonna kidnap HOpe's son but thought it was unpatriotic and went for Sinatra's son since
    Frank was associated with the mafia. Sinatra won the case and gave all the to charity. The Godfather movie is about Frank Sinatra in part and how Frank went to
    Vegas called JOhnny Fontaine in the movie is true. He was connected to the Chicago crime
    family.

HOpe wasn't as charitable as Frank. He gave some to charity and gave nothing to his
    relatives and friends.

Jerry Lewis filed for bankruptcy back in the 70s and his wife testified that he left his
    brief case in the air port when he boarded his plane. It had $10,000 in it that he lost.
    He never wore the same pair of socks twice and always had them shipped to him from
    the manufacuter and bought a new suit instead of sending it tot he cleaners.

Tom Selleck was a cool guy and Bateman's in Bel Air has a photo of him wearing an
    O's uniform at Memorial Stadium and taking swings there. He of course wore the
    Detroit hat in the show. When the show ended Universal Studios gave him a half
    million dollars as a bonus for what he did for the show and he spent it on the cast.
    He gave HIggins, TC and Rick a Farrari exactly like the kind he drove in the show and
    gave the producers and anyone that had anything to do with the show a Rolex watch.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 06-14-2013 at 07:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    That's what Pernell Roberts of Bonanza did and it was about 20 years before he got
    another leading role.
    Ironically as Trapper John, MD.

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!

Blog Entries

The theme song, as I remember it, was called "Suicide is Painless."
    Painless was the dentist's nickname... Bc

Blog Entries

WORDS ARE LETHAL - JEAN PAUL SARTE.

Here's an encyclopedia of tons of trivial stuff about MASH such as Hawkeye was the
    Chief Surgeon of MASH in the TV show but not the movie. He got the name Hawkeye
    because THE LAST OF THE MOHEGANS was the only book his father ever read.

http://www.bestcareanywhere.net/encyclopedia.htm
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 06-14-2013 at 08:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    And he ended up on NBC in a steaming pile of "Hello, Larry".
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

TV Show -

Frank Burns eats worms.

It's nice to be nice to the nice.

Pioneer Aviation! PIONEER AVIATION!

Movie -

Did Hawkeye just steal that jeep? No sir. That's the one he came in.

I wish they wouldn't land those things here while we're playing golf.

69 is divine!

Blog Entries

FROM THE MOVIE:

Colonel Blake: [to Spearchucker Jones at the football practice] I had another idea. I think we should have some plays. You know, usually in football you have some organized plays...
    Spearchucker: If you don't mind, I took the liberty.
    Colonel Blake: Oh, you have...
    Spearchucker: I drew up about seven or eight plays. I figure that's about all this bunch can handle.
    Colonel Blake: Oh, these are good. These are very good. Uh, what are these little arrows?

---------------------

HOT LIPS TO HAWKEYE: I noticed the nurses here call you Hawkeye.

HAWKEYE: That's because it's my name.

-----------------------

Gen. Hammond: Henry, I have a report here from your Major O'Houlihan. Now she makes some accusations here that I frankly find hard to believe.
    Colonel Blake: Well, don't believe them then, General. Good-bye.
    [hangs up]

--------------------------

And one of the most famous lines in all the moves from the camp's PA announcer:

THAT IS ALL!
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 06-16-2013 at 01:19 AM.