Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Tomlin sending Steelers the wrong message

Quote Originally Posted by Losac View Post
    Have they even fired a coach since Chuck Noll's predecessor?
    Bruce Arians, which seems downright retarded in hindsight.

This is just stupid. Why would you not want your team to get as much practice in, and your coaches to have as much time to evaluate the team, as possible? Especially after the only team you were ahead of in your division was the Browns. And don't give me the "you can't tell anything about a player in shorts" crap. Sure it's a big difference from practicing in pads, and certain positions it really is hard to evaluate, but to suggest it's not even football like Tomlin did just makes him sound like a moron.

I've never really thought Tomlin was much of coach. As others have said, the majority of his success comes from holdovers. He gets praise heaped on him because he coaches for one of "America's Teams" but I've never seen him do much to earn that praise. I can't wait to see how he does when LeBeau retires.

All that being said, he could go 0-16 this year and not be fired, unless he does something like murder a Rooney.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens75 View Post
    Evans is doing exactly what he is being told by the producers (prop the National teams and diminish the others especially those that can effect the popularity/ratings/advertising of those traditional teams). He's more demonstrative because it makes him stand out more and therefore keep his job.

Ignore him.
    Dingdingdingding! We have uh WINNAH!

Once one realizes that everything in contemporary society--everything--is about MONEY, & that media earn their MONEY through selling ads, & that advertisers pay good MONEY for ads based on the number of potential customers watching, particularly those in the all-important easily-conned-into-paying-too-much-MONEY-for-any-new-glittery-thing demographic, & that those in this target group are mostly bandwagon fans of successful franchises making up for the general misery of their real lives & love to be told what they want to be true because they are unable or unwilling to separate fact from fantasy & will tune in to listen to it,...then it becomes easy to laugh off jokers like Evans & Skip Brainless as pale gridiron imitation of WWE announcers.

So the Steelers cut their June mini-camp practice short by a single day. BFD. Means absolutely nothing.

June is one slow month for football news.

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    He beat us with Charlie Batch.
    And lost to Tim Tebow. Your point?

Quote Originally Posted by trailhiker85 View Post
    So the Steelers cut their June mini-camp practice short by a single day. BFD. Means absolutely nothing.

June is one slow month for football news.
    You're missing what I'm saying. I'm not saying this is the doom of the Steelers lol. I'm saying that when you have as many question marks as they do it's not a good way to motivate your team. If anything they should be pushing to be on the field more
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Quote Originally Posted by TheSpiderWebb View Post

I've never really thought Tomlin was much of coach.
    I heard he was mainly a rah-rah-rah guy who mainly organizes and let's his positional coaches run their game plans.

Quote Originally Posted by saintmatthew View Post
    I heard he was mainly a rah-rah-rah guy who mainly organizes and let's his positional coaches run their game plans.
    Special Teams 'Yo?

All in all, it all depends on how much of the playbook the new players see.
    There is a point where you have the plays down pat and start moving on instinct...hence "shorts" practices.
    But there is another thing called game speed and hitting.

Someone can perform great under the "shorts" conditions, but wilts when the pads go on.
    In the meantime, I would make sure my players learn as much as possible to facilitate the moving from thinking to reacting/instinct, which is a huge part of the "shorts" practices.

Does skipping one practice mean failure?
    No, but I'm sure the newest players would have benefited from it.

Blog Entries

Bill Belichick cut his short too. He's got a new WR to break into the system, Gronk's hurt and that defense is garbage. Is he on the hot seat now too?
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Tomlin is an excellent head coach. He's proven it.

I doubt he's on the hot seat, especially with the Rooneys history of patience and looking to the long term. They know what they've given him to work with the last couple of years.

Blog Entries

Personally, I don't see how the debatable reality that Tomlin won with many of Cowher's guys can be held against him when you consider the fact that Cowher took goodness knows how long to win with his own guys.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore