Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfish View Post
    It was funny, but Chad isn't about to change. It will take about 2 days before they want to throw him out of jail for running his mouth constantly.
    I don't think so. I don't think he'll be running his mouth in there.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Re: Chad Johnson butt slap in court

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    The month in jail was the original sentence. The hearing was submitting a plea deal, which the judge decided not to accept after that happened.

It's not as if she said "For slapping your lawyer's butt, you will serve 30 days in a prison". That's essentially what it was, but it's not as if she made up that number or punishment.
    Exactly.

Honestly I dont blame the judge. Its a total sign of disrespect for both her and the legal process. Its also a sign that he learned nothing. If you cant even act remorseful or slightly contrite in front of a judge who holds your freedom in their hands then there is about zero chance you will once you walk out the court room. He did not get 30 days for slapping his lawyer on the butt, he got 30 days for demonstrating he had learned nothing to that point about the behavior that landed him in court.

I doubt 30 days does much to quash an ego his size. She should have gave him a year and made him grovel in a month for his freedom. I am as liberal as they come and all about second and third chances but when you cant even show respect/remorse when your accused of and admitting guilt to assaulting a woman then you need to be taught a lesson.
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

Blog Entries
    Judges think they are god.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

I dont see how that warrants 30 days in jail. Judge on a power trip, imo. want to hold him overnight for contempt or something go ahead and prove your point, but 30 days is just excessive.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenous1 View Post
    Exactly.

Honestly I dont blame the judge. Its a total sign of disrespect for both her and the legal process. Its also a sign that he learned nothing. If you cant even act remorseful or slightly contrite in front of a judge who holds your freedom in their hands then there is about zero chance you will once you walk out the court room. He did not get 30 days for slapping his lawyer on the butt, he got 30 days for demonstrating he had learned nothing to that point about the behavior that landed him in court.

I doubt 30 days does much to quash an ego his size. She should have gave him a year and made him grovel in a month for his freedom. I am as liberal as they come and all about second and third chances but when you cant even show respect/remorse when your accused of and admitting guilt to assaulting a woman then you need to be taught a lesson.
    This .....

And apparently, this wasn't the first time he was doing dumb stuff in her court.

I've got no issue with the 30 days at all considering that the maximum penalty for probation violation is one year.

Blog Entries

i actually just saw the video. its even worse than described. She says your attorney did a great job you should thank him. so he gives him a pat on the butt and says good job. the court laughs but he never even cracks a smile. then she punishes him for the courts reaction. "the whole court room laughed, I will not accept these plea negotiations. Everyone was laughing". Bravo lady. Justice served.

What would happen if they laughed at her ridiculous reaction? does she throw herself in jail at that point for inciting laughter?
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    i actually just saw the video. its even worse than described. She says your attorney did a great job you should thank him. so he gives him a pat on the butt and says good job. the court laughs but he never even cracks a smile. then she punishes him for the courts reaction. "the whole court room laughed, I will not accept these plea negotiations. Everyone was laughing". Bravo lady. Justice served.

What would happen if they laughed at her ridiculous reaction? does she throw herself in jail at that point for inciting laughter?
    If he'd taken the matter serious and thanked his lawyer he'd be a free man. It's the clowning and not taking it serious. Overkill? probably but he controlled his own behavior

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

So did I.

You simply don't do something like that in a courtroom. And again, this wasn't the first time he's done something like this in the courtroom.

When you violate probation, you're already on thin ice. He screwed up once and got a pass. He screwed up again and is now paying the price.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    If he'd taken the matter serious and thanked his lawyer he'd be a free man. It's the clowning and not taking it serious. Overkill? probably but he controlled his own behavior
    i dont think that was a sign of not taking it serious. If he smiled or laughed, ok, but he actually looked pretty sincere when he said it to his lawyer. He did what she told him to, just not in a manner she felt was acceptable, which even then she didnt say anything right away. She took offense to it because the court laughed. she made that abundantly clear. He could have just turned and said thanks and made somebody laugh, would that warrant the same reaction? why is he getting held accountable for others reactions? basically shes saying "i dont think youre taking this serious because others were laughing at you" like he can control what people find humorous. i got a cunty vibe from her, and maybe thats because he did do other things in court and she was fed up, but i think she took it too far for what he actually did this time.

Only time ive been in court, the judge made a joke and had people laughing. the reasons he was there, werent a laughing matter clearly, but I dont think his actions were intended as the way she or the people around him perceived them.
    -JAB

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

JAB-
    I hear your point, but maybe her point(s) were the ones that Ravenous noted - disrespect for the judge and the legal system, and more importantly, he seemed to have learned nothing. His attitude reminds me of junior high when he might have been caught smoking in the boysroom (queue Brownsville Station), or papering the Vice Principal's yard on Halloween. He's been sent to the Principal's (judicial system) office and barely gets a slap on the wrist (the plea deal), and figures, "Hey, no big deal!" IMO, the message that is sent was reflected by the response of those laughing in the courtroom.

However, my understanding is that Johnson had previously pleaded no contest to a domestic violence charge, which while it does not mean he's "guilty" tells me that this was a serious incident. "[Trying] to keep a smile on my face", as Johnson put it to the court, suggests to me he isn't taking the whole thing seriously.

Anyone else seeing the irony?

A player known for excessive celebration has his plea deal thrown out after excessively celebrating?

the reasons he was there, werent a laughing matter clearly, but I dont think his actions were intended as the way she or the people around him perceived them.
    In isolation, you can take the judge's reaction to the butt-slap as an over-reaction. But first of all, he abused a woman. Then he did not take that crime seriously enough to actually meet with his probation officer, which is what got him in the courtroom in the first place. And the judge indicated this was by no means the first time he has acted the fool in her courtroom, and I have absolutely NO problem believing that. I'm glad she did what she did. Hopefully she finally got his attention.

The whole thing was a laughing matter to this dumbass. Maybe after these thirty days are over, he will learn that there are some things in this world that need to be taken seriously -- for example, the legal penalties associated with domestic abuse.
    "Chin up, chest out."