Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Re: Goodbye Vonta Leach

It is not likely that the Ravens resign Art Jones. His value may be too high. The only way I see them being able to keep him is if Ngata is cut next year. I am hoping Ngata and the Ravens can agree to a three year extension that will reduce his cap number. I also think that the Ravens drafted Lewis-Moore as a potential replacement for Jones. Similar type of players in college. Ravens brought in Spears and Canty on multi year contracts. They will have a rotation next year as well so KLM would not be a starter but a rotation guy.

Next year the Ravens are in a tough spot with Suggs and Ngata. Those two situations need to be resolved before the Ravens can really sign anyone. Pitta is also going to need to be signed and it might be the right time next year to sign Torrey Smith.

It will definitely be an interesting off season next year.

Blog Entries

Re: Goodbye Vonta Leach

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Sorry to throw ice water on everyone's hopes and dreams for our cap savings...

http://russellstreetreport.com/raven...-of-moneyball/

Very good explanation of where the money will go.
    Did not factor in the additional 2 players and the practice squad. It's always something...

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Re: Goodbye Vontae Leach

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    Totally scratching my head over here. Doesn't make a shred of sense unless another move is coming.
    I read your thoughts in another thread and thought they were tight and spot on.

I later commented that I was expecting to see a move somewhere deep into July, so I too am scratching my head as to why now, but I'm reluctant to put a lot of faith in another move coming soon.

1- The brain trust knows Caldwell's playbook revisions, so there may be an even larger erosion of Leach's role next year.

2- There is a slight possibility that this is a Ray Lewis/Ed Reed let the market decide. I don't think there is anything stopping us to re-signing him at the vet minimum... but a lot of things have to line up right for that to happen, just remembering he can come up to speed very quickly if needs be

3- Brian's article on cap ramifications was excellent. While we now have cap money, it isn't as bountiful as it first sounds.

4- Trade? that involves someone assuming his salary? I think that was very gentle coach-speak to soften the way out the door.... we are not throwing you out, we will evaluate your value elsewhere (although we know it is zippo)... those words tells the media that the Ravens still believe that Leach can play and has value.... that is the FO giving a departing vet as much respect as they can. Cundiff got a bushel of it, Vonta is also getting it. But there ain't goint to be a trade or I will be flabberghasted.
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Victor Cruz' $2.8M deal goes to $600K on June 17th. I bet he'd be very open to a long term deal prior to the 17th. Pure speculation on my part but what do they need this money for?
    Now that they can carry cap space over into the following season it might not be for a specific 2013 move. If one comes up they have the option and if it doesn't they get some space next year which they will badly need. I think Ravor is dead on as usual with his cap assessment of this situation.

Unfortunate. Leach was the personification of "Play Like a Raven." Reality overcomes emotion. Again.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by houstonravensfan View Post
    Unfortunate. Leach was the personification of "Play Like a Raven." Reality overcomes emotion. Again.
    The Ravens have lost a LOT of the players that personified "Play Like a Raven" this off-season. To me, that always meant playing tough, hard-nosed, physical football. With the loss of Boldin, Pollard, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, and now Leach, the Ravens have lost a huge number of the tough guys on the team. I don't want to see them turn into a finesse team that can get punked by the likes of the Steelers.

Quote Originally Posted by houstonravensfan View Post
    You said it man. Really liked this dude. He beat the hell out of a lot of guys for us lol. Wherever he goes I sure the hell hope we don't play 'em!

If this is not a prelude to a WR move this year, I would think his loss will probably set our offense back a bit this year, or at least at the beginning of the year. Since the Ravens have clearly shown this offseason that they are dedicated to building the team for the long run, I figure they are more likely to save the cap savings for next year, or sign Pita to a new contract.
    Twenty years of Cheers.
    Thanks Baltimore Ravens Fans - You're the Best!

Blog Entries

and as I expected, no trade partner was found.

Vonta Leach has been released, per Ravens twitter

There is this too...

Baltimore Ravens ‏@Ravens 1m
    Ozzie Newsome on Leach: “There could be an opportunity for him to return to the Ravens once he explores the free agent market.”
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by Iscull View Post
    Anyone have any suggestions for what team would even trade for Leach? St. Louis? Tampa?
    KC?

hmm...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    The Ravens have lost a LOT of the players that personified "Play Like a Raven" this off-season. To me, that always meant playing tough, hard-nosed, physical football. With the loss of Boldin, Pollard, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, and now Leach, the Ravens have lost a huge number of the tough guys on the team. I don't want to see them turn into a finesse team that can get punked by the likes of the Steelers.

What, Suggs returning from a torn achilles isn't tough, hard-nosed enough for you? Ngata playing through knee pain all season long in the trenches? Flacco getting the shit beat out of him because the OL stunk and never missing a game? Rice? Webb? Yanda? KO?

Those guys don't play hard-nosed, physical football?

Yes, losing Leach and Ray, Matt, and Ed suck, but everyone acting like the Ravens are being turned into a bunch of softees needs to go take a lap.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

This smells of Ozzie doing the "cut then re-sign" move.

Starting to look like Vonta thought he was worth more than he what the market will demand.

Ding ding ding!

Ozzie Newsome on Leach: “There could be an opportunity for him to return to the Ravens once he explores the free agent market.”

Ozzie's nice way of saying, "we like you, to a point. But go ahead and see what you're worth on the market!"