Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    The Ravens aren't one to waste cap space.

No reason to release him if that space won't be used.
    Cap space can now carry over into future seasons.

Re: Goodbye Vonta Leach

Yeah, doubt this means we are making a play or a player. More likely an extension for Pitta or carrying over cap space.

Blog Entries
    They could be clearing room for extending Pitta, Oher, and Art Jones.

Art could get pretty expensive.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Whatever, Ozzie is always planning ahead - signing Cruz or extending his current guys, Oz always thinks ahead and he wins Super Bowls.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    They could be clearing room for extending Pitta, Oher, and Art Jones.

Art could get pretty expensive.

Too much d line depth to worry about jones. Hes a luxury. Pitta and oher will be the priorities. Oher plays solid RT hes the focus.
    -JAB

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post

Too much d line depth to worry about jones. Hes a luxury. Pitta and oher will be the priorities. Oher plays solid RT hes the focus.
    Disagree. Art Jones is an ideal 5-technique defensive lineman. He can stuff the run and get after the QB. He is only going to get better and keeping him should be a priority.

Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Disagree. Art Jones is an ideal 5-technique defensive lineman. He can stuff the run and get after the QB. He is only going to get better and keeping him should be a priority.
    I agree with you, especially when the free agent signings this past season are not truly long-term solutions. Those are the depth players; Art Jones is more key than that.

one thing that we will learn in 2013 is how important team leadership really is versus skill. leach is another team leader lost but the question is does his skill set offset his leadership.

Blog Entries

So what are the odds that he is traded?

Honestly, whenever a team says "we're going to cut him if he's not traded", you might as well say "at noon tomorrow, he's cut". No one is going to want to keep him at his current salary, and they know they can just wait us out.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

I wouldn't be too quick to think this has anything to do with another move. They could have likely re-signed Pitta or Dickson or Jones without the excess Cap space.

This, IMO, has more to do with creating enough Cap space to have a cushion to carry into the season. Much like reducing Bryant McKinnie base salary last year, asking Leach to restructure/paycut/whatever has more to do with creating that cushion than anything else (and that he's being paid too much for a FB).

With only $3.6M in Cap space presently, and around $2.8M after Elam signs, they would have been hard pressed to make it through the season when injuries occur and when you need to carry everyone (53, IR, PS) under the Cap.

Granted, they would likely rather have less of a cushion and still have Leach, but obviously, they couldn't reach a middle ground.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    So what are the odds that he is traded?

Honestly, whenever a team says "we're going to cut him if he's not traded", you might as well say "at noon tomorrow, he's cut". No one is going to want to keep him at his current salary, and they know they can just wait us out.
    I was thinking this same thing. Was it him on Twitter or was it the team that released that statement?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Section 502 Raven View Post
    one thing that we will learn in 2013 is how important team leadership really is versus skill. leach is another team leader lost but the question is does his skill set offset his leadership.
    This is what I want to see. Just how important is the "leadership" aspect in games. For example, is boldins leadership more valuable than thompsons pure speed.