Page 25 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2324252627 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Goodbye Vonta Leach

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Clearly, the Ravens offer isn't just league minimum but in willing to bet it isn't far off. There is simply no market for FB's right now. That's going to keep the price down regardless of pro bowls.
    Concur.

Let me ask the dissembled multitudes a question: How many of you (without peeking dammit) can name either of last season's All-Pro long snappers? I know I sure as hell can't. And long snappers are far more important to NFL teams in this day & age than FBs.

Having the best LS in the league on the roster (as opposed to an adequate journeyman) might make a difference on half a dozen plays during the season. Having the best blocking FB in the league on the roster (as opposed to a somewhat less capable H-back) might make a difference on about the same number of plays per season.

I think that I read somewhere that the offer included incentives that were probably not able to be reached, so it would end up being close to whatever might have been the base amount.
    Captain Offense

Disagree.

This FO doesn't pay players on past accomplishments. Leach being a pro bowl player last year is irrelevant to Ozzie. Just like with every player, he's going to pay market price based on future value.

Clearly, the Ravens offer isn't just league minimum but in willing to bet it isn't far off. There is simply no market for FB's right now. That's going to keep the price down regardless of pro bowls.
    Two million with incentives is far from the league minimum.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ins-available/

Quote Originally Posted by celticrob View Post
    Two million with incentives is far from the league minimum.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ins-available/
    Right.

I don't consider a $2 Million contract for a player of his tenure to be that far off of league minimum.

Maybe we are debating the same point?

Right.

I don't consider a $2 Million contract for a player of his tenure to be that far off of league minimum.

Maybe we are debating the same point?
    League minimum for Leach is about 850k.

Re: Goodbye Vontae Leach

I love Vontae Leach. I don't want him back.

I probably would want him back if we had a 60-man roster. But with a 53-man roster, it's a numbers game. I want to keep Pitta, Dickson and Furstenburg; Ray Rice, Bernard Pierce, and Juice; and Torrey Smith, Jacoby Jones, Deonte Thompson, Tandon Doss, David Reed, and either Streeter or Mellette with the other to the practice squad. How many other roster spots are there for TE/FB types?

Leach is great, but he does one thing and he would cost us a younger, more versatile player. I think the team would be better over the next couple years if we invested the roster spot this season on someone else.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post

I probably would want him back if we had a 60-man roster. But with a 53-man roster, it's a numbers game. I want to keep Pitta, Dickson and Furstenburg; Ray Rice, Bernard Pierce, and Juice; and Torrey Smith, Jacoby Jones, Deonte Thompson, Tandon Doss, David Reed, and either Streeter or Mellette with the other to the practice squad. How many other roster spots are there for TE/FB types?

Leach is great, but he does one thing and he would cost us a younger, more versatile player. I think the team would be better over the next couple years if we invested the roster spot this season on someone else.
    agreed. a 6th WR or 3rd TE is going to be a lot more critical to this teams offense going forward than a 2nd FB. I like leach, but imo, his presence just means were weaker at other more valuable positions.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post

I probably would want him back if we had a 60-man roster. But with a 53-man roster
    Also agree

We had nothing bad to say about Sam Gash, or Lorenzo Neal, and have nothing but appreciation for Vonta. Just because we are not upset that he is gone, doesn't mean that we wanted him gone at all.... looking ahead to who gets the final 53 spot takes a ton of steam off the bring-back bandwagon.
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Blog Entries

To me, this is very easily being chalked up to differences in ideology between Cam and Caldwell.

Go back and look at some of those Indy rosters when Caldwell was calling the shots. Very few "true" fullbacks, but almost every team carried around 4 tight ends who could all catch the ball.

Caldwell didn't use Vonta a whole lot in the playoffs either, so I just think that if they can bring Vonta back for a deal that makes sense, then they will. However, it isn't like Caldwell is begging and pleading with Harbaugh and Ozzie to bring him back.

This is also why drafting Juszyck makes sense. The guy is a decent blocker, but his upside is as a receiving threat TE/FB. Caldwell had a couple of guys like him on his Indy rosters. Gijon Robinson for example. Brody Eldridge is another, but he was more or less a traditional TE.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

The team did everything it could to make Leach into a certified receiving threat out of the backfield, just to keep opponents from automatically stacking the box whenever he was in--but in the end everyone knew that on a flare pass the T-44 was good for 5-8 yards, 10 at most. Juszczyk isn't in Leach's class as a blocker (who is? though you have to think a bright kid with a mean streak like KJ will benefit from pro-level coaching) but if Joe finds him wide open in the flat we're talking 10-15 yards & maybe a lot more.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    The team did everything it could to make Leach into a certified receiving threat out of the backfield, just to keep opponents from automatically stacking the box whenever he was in--but in the end everyone knew that on a flare pass the T-44 was good for 5-8 yards, 10 at most. Juszczyk isn't in Leach's class as a blocker (who is? though you have to think a bright kid with a mean streak like KJ will benefit from pro-level coaching) but if Joe finds him wide open in the flat we're talking 10-15 yards & maybe a lot more.
    :word
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

I can't wait to see Juice double-move some fool.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver