Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2122232425 ... LastLast

Re: Goodbye Vonta Leach

Supposedly the Ravens offer is still on the table.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ins-available/

Going by this, I'd put it at 50/50 right now. If I'm Leach, I'm not going to take a marginally better deal with Miami.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfish View Post
    Supposedly the Ravens offer is still on the table.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ins-available/

Going by this, I'd put it at 50/50 right now. If I'm Leach, I'm not going to take a marginally better deal with Miami.
    I think that the offer to Leach is still on the table.....for now. Leach is apparently waiting to see if one of the handful of teams that still have a FB on their roster suffer an injury at that position during training camp. But what if the Ravens suffer an injury or two at other positions on their team, which necessitate them signing other players to fill those holes? Then their available cap space would dry up fast. Leach would be wise to sign the best deal he has available to him now.

Quote Originally Posted by celticrob View Post
    Just Oz playing poker again. He knows he has the best offer out there to Leach. It's either take it or leave it. He's not going to increase his offer. He knows how important Leach is to Rice, both on and off the field but the emergence of Pierce lessens the need. Stop with the signing for the minimum. The minimum for Leach is $800,000. He will get much better offers than that. The hold up is that he would like a second year guaranteed. That offer hasn't come in from any team
    Said this before. Oz knows the market. I read somewhere that there are only 8 teams with FBs on their rosters. That's bad news for Leach.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by celticrob View Post
    Said this before. Oz knows the market. I read somewhere that there are only 8 teams with FBs on their rosters. That's bad news for Leach.
    He's an older vet in a position that isn't valued by many teams. He doesn't really have any leverage even if he's the best at his position.

Blog Entries

Miami made a push for him and Leach probably didn't want to go to a losing team. So now, Miami is catching feelings. Can't argue with that.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Miami hasn't even made him an official offer. I think he'll be back in the next 2 weeks.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    Miami hasn't even made him an official offer. I think he'll be back in the next 2 weeks.
    Reminds me of Ray Lewis shopping himself around the league several years ago.

I really don't think he'll be back. For some reason I don't think they want him, even at a discount.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mmi16 View Post
    Reminds me of Ray Lewis shopping himself around the league several years ago.
    LOL - That reminds me of a funny story DeCosta told us at Nest 1. Remember when Ray was
    shopping himself around and telling Dallas he wanted to wear the STAR and all that. I didn't
    believe it at the time. Adam Sheftner was pimping that story at the time.

Anyway, DEE told us that Ray called Rexy boy almost every day trying to get him to sign him
    and not even Fat Rex wanted him.

I thought Ravens would sign Leach like the day before the season starts but it seems like
    they really like The Juice and drafted him to take Leach's place and play TE/H-Back.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Miami made a push for him and Leach probably didn't want to go to a losing team. So now, Miami is catching feelings. Can't argue with that.
    No, I'm pretty sure he wanted to go to Miami...his agent was telling everybody that's where he wanted to go.

It's just that like I said at the beginning of the year, nobody is paying fullbacks any money because its being phased out in favor of multiple tight ends and H-backs. Probably only 1/4 of the teams in the league use fullbacks at all on plays that aren't short yardage.

It's just clear like I said then, his salary was way out of whack for that position...even with him being the best.

It's an obvious case of a player having a problem accepting that his position is almost totally phased out (hence low offers), and his agent did a really bad job of reading the market...I doubt anybody comes remotely close to offering him a deal where he can make $3 million with incentives like we did/are.

I think now, pride is not letting him come back right now and he's going to really hope that someone gets desperate after an injury in camp (not likely for his position).

I think he'll be back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

Just a question(s)---
    How would you all see the Ravens keeping Leach AND The Juice, given how the roster is laid out? By that, I mean do they have the luxury of keeping both? If the offense is truly going to use a TE/H-back look, that suggests to me that Juice starts/plays most of the time. Does Leach then play mostly special teams? Also, does the team have other priorities for other slots (O- and D-lines, LBs, etc.) that would create a squeeze in having Leach on the roster?

Just trying to understand the logic/thinking of how the team would employ both if Leach is re-signed, and the overall impact on other positions/numbers. Thanks....

Blog Entries

Phil Savage just said Juice isn't the power hitting knock their heads off blocker like Leach but he'll make more plays catching the ball and moving the chains. Phil also said he's a West Coast
    Offense guy.

The Juiice said I can't wait to put the pads on and show them I can knock some heads off.
    Someone posted that he stood linebackers up in the SR Bowl where Phil Savage is now
    the Director.

As mentioned above, it looks more unlikely that Leach is coming back.