Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Goodbye Vonta Leach

Plus, let's think about this, is Leach really in a rush for training camp?
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    He is probably waiting for someone to get hurt during training camp.
    That's a risky move if it continues after camp starts. Give these young guys a chance and they might impress the coaches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Plus, let's think about this, is Leach really in a rush for training camp?
    Yeah, true. I'm not sure how hard it is for a FB to play in the NFL in terms of learning a scheme, but it can't be that much of a challenge where signing now would set him back. He's easily in the top-5 FB ranking, and is widely considered the best and has been for a couple years now IIRC.

I'd like Leach back. I wouldn't lament his return and would celebrate it, but I won't be upset if he goes to another team. He did a great job for us and I think he did a good enough job catching the ball as I don't see him as back at receptions as I've heard. With that said, I will miss watching him roll over linebackers like they're CB.

Blog Entries

If I was an older player I'd want to be on a team come the start of camp. There are a ton of rookies and young players especially at fringe positions who can impress and make teams. If KJ looks good early that offer to Leach might no longer be there. Even if a team loses their starting FB they probably aren't going to panic and get the most expensive player out there. This is a position that has become less and less important in the NFL. Leach could find himself desperate for a non-guaranteed salary spot come week 2 of the season
    He Who Dares.....Wins

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GrimCoconut View Post
    Yeah, true. I'm not sure how hard it is for a FB to play in the NFL in terms of learning a scheme, but it can't be that much of a challenge where signing now would set him back. He's easily in the top-5 FB ranking, and is widely considered the best and has been for a couple years now IIRC.

I'd like Leach back. I wouldn't lament his return and would celebrate it, but I won't be upset if he goes to another team. He did a great job for us and I think he did a good enough job catching the ball as I don't see him as back at receptions as I've heard. With that said, I will miss watching him roll over linebackers like they're CB.
    According to ESPN's Mort, the last offer from the Raven's was $2M base+$1M in incentives. Potentially $3M.

Given that Miami has seemingly pulled out of the race for his services, I doubt Leach will find many teams willing to match our offer.

Of course, the Ravens know this too, and that offer may no longer stand, even though they said it would.

It says a lot that the best FB in the league is still without a job and can't find an offer much appealing than the one the Ravens offered.

We have ~$5.3M in cap space

Blog Entries

According to Ravor that cap space will get eaten up very quickly once PUP and IR start. I would not be surprised if the Ravens lowered their offer.
    He Who Dares.....Wins

Blog Entries

I also would be shocked if the offer was still there.

Ravens made a fair offer, and the path was taken to let the market decide.
    Looks like the market is deciding that the Ravens were overpaying badly.

We have seen this done by the FO before and I can think of once one player that we "overpaid" for their return (Ray Lewis-at least rumors had it what no one offered as much as we gave him ). There may be others, maybe put McKinnie in that class, but most in my memory have left.
    Pashos, Brown, Chester (Chris and Taylor), Ed,
    Not trying to prove anything, just giving background for my feeling that the offer on the table has melted and is now a lot softer. Maybe bigger (unattainable to allow face saving) incentives to make the contract look big... but Vonta rolled the dice and now is looking at the reality of house rules.
    The longer he waits the more Caldwell plans plays without him in there, I'd step out on a limb and venture a guess that 1/3 of the plays have been tweaked toward an H-Back already. But I'm guessing.
    To understand paranoid people better, follow them around.

I think it's a standing offer. Both sides are just waiting until camp. The Ravens would like to have him back on their terms, and I think Leach would prefer to return if there are no better financial opportunities out there. Once camp starts, if someone gets hurt, Leach's market might rise. If not, I'm still hopeful that he's back with the Ravens after the first couple weeks of camp.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Blog Entries

every day that passes I think the chances are reduced that he's coming back. Just feels that way to me, especially with Miami saying they're not going to sign him before camp. Some team may call him if there is an injury this fall.

I love the guy and LMAO when he delivers some of those hits but this offense can move on without Leach IMO. If he does return, great but I'm not expecting it anymore.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...training-camp/
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Supposedly the Ravens offer is still on the table.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ins-available/

Going by this, I'd put it at 50/50 right now. If I'm Leach, I'm not going to take a marginally better deal with Miami.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfish View Post
    Supposedly the Ravens offer is still on the table.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ins-available/

Going by this, I'd put it at 50/50 right now. If I'm Leach, I'm not going to take a marginally better deal with Miami.
    I think that the offer to Leach is still on the table.....for now. Leach is apparently waiting to see if one of the handful of teams that still have a FB on their roster suffer an injury at that position during training camp. But what if the Ravens suffer an injury or two at other positions on their team, which necessitate them signing other players to fill those holes? Then their available cap space would dry up fast. Leach would be wise to sign the best deal he has available to him now.

Quote Originally Posted by celticrob View Post
    Just Oz playing poker again. He knows he has the best offer out there to Leach. It's either take it or leave it. He's not going to increase his offer. He knows how important Leach is to Rice, both on and off the field but the emergence of Pierce lessens the need. Stop with the signing for the minimum. The minimum for Leach is $800,000. He will get much better offers than that. The hold up is that he would like a second year guaranteed. That offer hasn't come in from any team
    Said this before. Oz knows the market. I read somewhere that there are only 8 teams with FBs on their rosters. That's bad news for Leach.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by celticrob View Post
    Said this before. Oz knows the market. I read somewhere that there are only 8 teams with FBs on their rosters. That's bad news for Leach.
    He's an older vet in a position that isn't valued by many teams. He doesn't really have any leverage even if he's the best at his position.

Blog Entries

Miami made a push for him and Leach probably didn't want to go to a losing team. So now, Miami is catching feelings. Can't argue with that.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"

Miami hasn't even made him an official offer. I think he'll be back in the next 2 weeks.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...