Page 17 of 33 FirstFirst ... 1516171819 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Goodbye Vonta Leach

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I think it is less likely that KJ will be able to be as effective as a lead blocker. How could he? Leach is one of the best in the league as as lead blocker.
    However, IMO, KJ's ability as a receiver makes up for what he may lack - initially - as a blocker.
    Right, that's why I'd like to have Leach back for one more season...to educate KJ in what a lead blocker needs to do. "Juice" is much younger, and probably an over-all better talent, but it's always good to have a veteran teach the rookie the finer points before he (Leach) sails off into the sunset of his career... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    and I'm saying at the right price, we could have the best of both worlds. I don't see the downside, it's worth the roster spot. Leach is also great on special teams and can blow people up. I hope he comes back
    One downside I can see with having Leach and KJ is that you lose the unpredictability factor. Instead of wondering whether it's a run or pass with KJ, you can pretty much bet it's a run whenever Leach hits the field.

Still I'd have no problem seeing Leach back.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    One downside I can see with having Leach and KJ is that you lose the unpredictability factor. Instead of wondering whether it's a run or pass with KJ, you can pretty much bet it's a run whenever Leach hits the field.

Don't agree. Cam (LOL), I mean our current OC could use Leach as a decoy. Yeah, put him in the backfield with Rice, then use Torrey, JJ, Pitta, or Rice as receiving options. Let the opposing defense figure it out (?) ... Bc

I know one thing. When Leach comes onto the field on 3rd and 1...the defensive players take a deep breath and say "crap, it's him again"...
    Willis is STILL shaking his head...
    I have never seen anyone blow him up like Vonta did.
    I can't imagine being a DB and turning upfield and seeing THAT 44 leading the way.

AND with all that said, I DO understand about the flexibility of having KJ coming out there. I get it.
    But if there are a couple 3rd and shorts and KJ can't open the path...people are gonna wish 44 was still in purple. It's up to KJ to prove his worth early.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post

I am not sure I agree, they can get creative with these guys like San Fran does with their big TE packages. Also when you need a yard, it's man up time so it's OK if the D knows what's coming; they still have to stop them without giving up a yard.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Line leach up in TE position wit KJ in backfield, power running for Rice or Pierce. If defense stacks that side, Flacco has field day with Pitta or other receivers. Hope Leach returns, he brings pain and nightmares for opposing defenses.

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Don't agree. Cam (LOL), I mean our current OC could use Leach as a decoy. Yeah, put him in the backfield with Rice, then use Torrey, JJ, Pitta, or Rice as receiving options. Let the opposing defense figure it out (?) ... Bc
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I am not sure I agree, they can get creative with these guys like San Fran does with their big TE packages. Also when you need a yard, it's man up time so it's OK if the D knows what's coming; they still have to stop them without giving up a yard.
    I guess we just disagree on Leach's value v.s K.J. potential value, I'm just not sure if having Leach is an absolute must to accomplish either of the above scenarios.

Blog Entries

As far as the Juice is concerned, he'll be good, no Leach but good but let's not forget
    Caldwell uses a FB much less now and Ravens weren't paying all that money for less
    work.

Is your boss going to pay you what you're making now if your work load is down-sized?
    You'll probably get laid off.

I would love to see him return but its unlikely. No chance he signs anywhere for the veteran minimum. The Ravens offer will remain the same around 2 mill with incentives. He knows with the Ravens he's definitely gone after next year. He probably doesn't want to be in this same position next year. Look for some under the radar team like KC to give him a two year deal. He would be great for Charles. Houston is out. they have no money and signed a FB earlier this year to a guaranteed deal. Houston is agent blowing smoke.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    As far as the Juice is concerned, he'll be good, no Leach but good but let's not forget
    Caldwell uses a FB much less now and Ravens weren't paying all that money for less
    work.

Is your boss going to pay you what you're making now if your work load is down-sized?
    You'll probably get laid off.
    Also, the offense generally moved the ball better and got more big plays with Leach on the sidelines. Think when they started going no huddle with 3 WR's against the Pats.

Leach is fantastic at blocking, but what's that really do for you if the defense knows what you are going to do with Leach on the field? Even with Leach's great skills, the defense will just stack the box and play press man on the receivers. Maybe Leach knocks out one guy, but there is another ready to tackle the RB.

I just don't think Leach fits into what this offense is now under Caldwell.

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Also, the offense generally moved the ball better and got more big plays with Leach on the sidelines. Think when they started going no huddle with 3 WR's against the Pats.

Leach is fantastic at blocking, but what's that really do for you if the defense knows what you are going to do with Leach on the field? Even with Leach's great skills, the defense will just stack the box and play press man on the receivers. Maybe Leach knocks out one guy, but there is another ready to tackle the RB.

I just don't think Leach fits into what this offense is now under Caldwell.
    I disagree. the first td drive the Ravens had against the Pats, Leach was in for most of the series. In fact the drive started with a pass to Leach and ended with him as the lead blocker for the Rice TD. In the second half we took advantage of the Aqib injury so we stayed three wide and used Leach less. Where will miss leach is when we have a lead and need to run.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by celticrob View Post
    I disagree. the first td drive the Ravens had against the Pats, Leach was in for most of the series. In fact the drive started with a pass to Leach and ended with him as the lead blocker for the Rice TD. In the second half we took advantage of the Aqib injury so we stayed three wide and used Leach less. Where will miss leach is when we have a lead and need to run.
    Leach played 42% of the snaps last year. I never said they weren't successful with Leach in. More than half of the offensive snaps, Leach was on the sideline.