Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Goodbye Vonta Leach

Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    Juice will have a swivel on his head just learning the system.

That is less of a concern for me when I realize that is a Harvard swivel.
    Harvard is very much interested in good athletes – if they meet the college’s academic standards.
    http://www.hcs.harvard.edu/womswim/r...ing/myths.html

But yes, he has a lot to learn and get instinctive but
    Playing a h-backposition, he made 6th all-time in receptions at Harvard with 1,576 yards (7th all-time) and 22 touchdowns (3rd all-time).... we ain't dealing with a bad wonderlic (but I couldn't find his score) I really think he is a lock (maybe IR lock, but a sure lock).

Furstenberg is a watch and see (an undrafted "Davon Drew" is nothing else, he will be kept as close and long as we can, I'm shocked if not PS minimum.
    To understand paranoid people better, follow them around.

Blog Entries

Armando Salguero ‏@ArmandoSalguero

Vonta Leach does have a standing contract offer from the Baltimore Ravens but he wants to do better than that offer.

Blog Entries

Just take the offer Leach. An extra million is nice and all, but you'll blow it trying to make yourself feel better, playing for Miami.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Armando Salguero ‏@ArmandoSalguero

Vonta Leach does have a standing contract offer from the Baltimore Ravens but he wants to do better than that offer.
    The fact that no other team has even made him an offer in the past month should tell him something.
    He Who Dares.....Wins

Blog Entries

Originally Posted by Paintballguy
    Vonta Leach does have a standing contract offer from the Baltimore Ravens but he wants to do better than that offer

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    The fact that no other team has even made him an offer in the past month should tell him something.
    Let me see, if I only get one offer of $7.50 an hour, but I want $10.00 an hour, then... I'd better call my sister-in-law for advice (?) ... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Let me see, if I only get one offer of $7.50 an hour, but I want $10.00 an hour, then... I'd better call my sister-in-law for advice (?) ... Bc
    If you know that you won't get paid for a month even if you do take the 7.50 now, and there's a real strong chance that another company is going to have a need for your services in August if one of their guys gets hurt on the job who might give you 8.50, why take the 7.50 offer now?

Leach has no incentive to sign yet, let camps start. A team could lose their starting FB and suddenly he'll be a hot commodity, and if not, the Ravens' offer will probably still be there.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Blog Entries

He is probably waiting for someone to get hurt during training camp.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    If you know that you won't get paid for a month even if you do take the 7.50 now, and there's a real strong chance that another company is going to have a need for your services in August if one of their guys gets hurt on the job who might give you 8.50, why take the 7.50 offer now?

Leach has no incentive to sign yet, let camps start. A team could lose their starting FB and suddenly he'll be a hot commodity, and if not, the Ravens' offer will probably still be there.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com

Blog Entries

You make good points, except that many teams do not hold the FB position in high regard nowadays. So, would you rather (at 32 years of age) have a guaranteed (perhaps vet minimum or slightly above) contract, or roll the dice with your career (?) I do not think Leach will be a "hot commodity" as you posted... Bc

Say training camp starts, and the Ravens are not overwhelmed by their WRs outside of Torrey Smith. If a good WR becomes available for whatever reason, the Ravens may look to bring in such a player. In that scenario, the Ravens offer to Leach may no longer be on the table, due to salary cap constraints.

Blog Entries

Just have to add in any guarentee.
    I seriously doubt that the Ravens offer has any guarenteed money, and I starting to think that the other "offers" were contingent on making the roster.

Ed Reed got 5 mil guarenteed, essentially he got a years salary guarenteed up front. Sign and the money was his.
    Vonta probably is not getting a lock for any money....so no incentive to sign.
    Yes it is true he can wait, but elsewhere he has to learn an O terminology (even tweak here a little) so he can't be increasing his chances of making teams by sitting long.
    It has to be guarentee some money, wait for a value increasing injury, or fall back on a Ravens offer for what is now camp competition. All he has to look back at is Tucker to know it will be viewed as competition no matter how good a blocker he is.
    To understand paranoid people better, follow them around.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    Say training camp starts, and the Ravens are not overwhelmed by their WRs outside of Torrey Smith. If a good WR becomes available for whatever reason, the Ravens may look to bring in such a player. In that scenario, the Ravens offer to Leach may no longer be on the table, due to salary cap constraints.
    Obviously that's a gamble every unsigned player takes. But Leach knows he's better than most at his job and his in the top 1% of human beings on the planet in terms of FB talent. Worst case scenario, he'll find a spot somewhere for the same minimum deal he's turning down now.

Point is, there is nothing football related happening right now, and thus there's no need to take an offer if you're confident that its the lowest bid you're going to get.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Obviously that's a gamble every unsigned player takes. But Leach knows he's better than most at his job and his in the top 1% of human beings on the planet in terms of FB talent. Worst case scenario, he'll find a spot somewhere for the same minimum deal he's turning down now.

Point is, there is nothing football related happening right now, and thus there's no need to take an offer if you're confident that its the lowest bid you're going to get.
    Just Oz playing poker again. He knows he has the best offer out there to Leach. It's either take it or leave it. He's not going to increase his offer. He knows how important Leach is to Rice, both on and off the field but the emergence of Pierce lessens the need. Stop with the signing for the minimum. The minimum for Leach is $800,000. He will get much better offers than that. The hold up is that he would like a second year guaranteed. That offer hasn't come in from any team

The fact that Leach hasn't signed a contract yet makes me wonder if this might well play out until late summer. As others have said, Leach is a luxury for the Ravens at this point. I'd like to see him back on a one-year deal, but if that doesn't happen the team will move on. But Leach or no Leach, I am really looking forward to seeing what the team does differently on offense given a full offseason & training camp under Caldwell.

Blog Entries

I'm actually surprised that a team more reliant on rush offense has not made him a quality offer yet. Then again, if you really think about it, most of those teams already have fullbacks. Cleveland, Houston and Minnesota all have good FBs.

You know, thinking about Leach reminds me of the scene from Major Payne where he says, "Got to be somebody need some killin''.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"