Page 11 of 33 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Re: Goodbye Vontae Leach

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    No. But you do need players like Leach, Boldin and Pollard to give you an identity. Pollard singlehandedly changed the complexion of the AFCCG with that hit on Ridley. And who can forget Boldin literally laughing while caught that TD pass? That's all I was implying.
    You know what gives a team an identity? Winning. And that's what this new look Ravens team will do. It's more in line with a faster, athletic league. To suggest they don't have toughness is quite laughable. They have tough trenches on both sides of the ball. And where is this Pollard boner coming from? He is an average strong safety at best. Yes he made what is my favourite play of the run knocking out Ridley, but he was shit in pass coverage and if you haven't watch Elam play he can hit too.

I'm pumped for the new identity they are going to have this year
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    No, those players are not enough for me. I hope that Suggs and Ngata return to their 2011 form this year, but that is TBD. Even with those guys, the Ravens were getting pushed around a few years ago. That was the catalyst for them to go out and get players like Boldin, Pollard, and Leach in the first place. I am very happy that McKinnie was re-signed, because his presence solidifies that OL. I am not saying that the Ravens will definitely be less successful, but they do look much more like a finesse team after this off-season.

I am talking about the identity of the team. The 2013 Ravens look more like the Patriots than Ravens teams of the past. The Patriots are a very successful team, but in a tough, physical, street fight of a game, I would prefer the traditional Ravens teams.
    I tend to agree.As impressive as Flacco was throughout the post season I'm just not sure how great of an idea it would be to have an AFC North team that has an offense predicated on the QB putting the ball in the air 35-40 times a game. Tough defense,ball control offense and timely big plays are the direction that I would like to see the team take.

Run the ball effectively,stop the run on defense and have the capability to burn the opposing defense deep when they are least expecting it.

Blog Entries

'12 With Leach on field: Ray Rice 206att/869 yds Without Leach 135 att/582 yds

That's 4.2 yards per carry with Leach and 4.3 without.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Laughably, it could be releasing Leach to add JaMarcus Russell...
    Well, he (Russell) don't miss too many meals IIRC. Maybe he can play a litlle FB. JK

Vontae is/was a class act and, for a one-trick pony, he had a helluva trick. Probably the best (& last?) pure blocking FB the NFL will see in our era. Can't pay him almost $4 million for it, though.
    Ozzie left the door open in the press. Vontae may be much more open to a reduced contract after he tests the market.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    '12 With Leach on field: Ray Rice 206att/869 yds Without Leach 135 att/582 yds

That's 4.2 yards per carry with Leach and 4.3 without.
    I think this could be a little misleading. On first and 10 without Leach and maybe 3 WRs, the field is spread and Rice tends to break those long runs (example). On 3rd and one with Leach there to power block, everyone knows what's coming but they still convert. I am generalizing but I think Leach was used in a lot of short yardage situations where they just needed to get the first.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by runrayrun27 View Post
    You know what gives a team an identity? Winning. And that's what this new look Ravens team will do. It's more in line with a faster, athletic league. To suggest they don't have toughness is quite laughable. They have tough trenches on both sides of the ball. And where is this Pollard boner coming from? He is an average strong safety at best. Yes he made what is my favourite play of the run knocking out Ridley, but he was shit in pass coverage and if you haven't watch Elam play he can hit too.

I'm pumped for the new identity they are going to have this year
    I'm onboard with this. The liability of Reed as a tackler and the liability of Pollard as a pass defender was obvious. I believe the combination of Elam and Huff will be more physical, better in coverage and faster than the duo of Reed and Pollard; with less personal fouls too. With all of the acquisitions to the defense everyone should conclude that the d-line will be much better. Suggs will be better and we have Doom who should lay to rest any concern about losing Krueger. When Krueger can string together a bunch of seasons that Doom has accomplished, then that discussion can be opened. I'm excited and confident enough that I would wager that this year's defense will out perform last season's.

Leadership is an intangible that's not measurable. Since proof of leadership is elusive I can dismiss leadership as an non-issue as easily as someone can question it. Some of the so called leaders started the infamous mutiny last year. I would argue the most important leader to a team is the coach. Undermining his authority is leading everyone where? Even with losing several players last year, they have plenty of veterans capable of leading. Can you place a value to having a championship team who's roster is mostly comprised of Super Bowl winners and veterans with 5 straight years of playoff experience?

Re: Goodbye Vonta Leach

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I'm not so sure about that one. This defensive line worked best when it had a reliable swing man, that was Brandon McKinney. Once he left, they clearly lacked depth and suffered for it.Arthur Jones is the new swing man and if the team can lock him up now for decent money, I think it is a move to be made.
    I like Jones, too. He can be used as DE or DT. With Cody underperforming, Jones depth helps keep the DL fresh vs. faster-paced offenses. Jones future depends on what additions like Canty, Spears, Dumervil, and the rookie Williams do for the team this year

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfish View Post
    I'm onboard with this. The liability of Reed as a tackler and the liability of Pollard as a pass defender was obvious. I believe the combination of Elam and Huff will be more physical, better in coverage and faster than the duo of Reed and Pollard; with less personal fouls too. With all of the acquisitions to the defense everyone should conclude that the d-line will be much better. Suggs will be better and we have Doom who should lay to rest any concern about losing Krueger. When Krueger can string together a bunch of seasons that Doom has accomplished, then that discussion can be opened. I'm excited and confident enough that I would wager that this year's defense will out perform last season's.

Leadership is an intangible that's not measurable. Since proof of leadership is elusive I can dismiss leadership as an non-issue as easily as someone can question it. Some of the so called leaders started the infamous mutiny last year. I would argue the most important leader to a team is the coach. Undermining his authority is leading everyone where?
    The Super Bowl 47 Trophy and ring.

I'm not too worried about the scenarios and situations. Provided we suffer no whammies, I think that the 2013 Ravens will be better than the 2012 teams in every major offensive and defensive statistical category. Suggs, Webb and Smith will "lead" the defense, but we are chock full of leaders and vets on that side of the ball.

Joe, Marshal and Torrey will handle the offense just fine.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post

Just like you were right before last season when you insisted the Raven's defense would be a top 10 unit. How'd that turn out?
    They won the SB. That's how it turned out.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post

I think this could be a little misleading. On first and 10 without Leach and maybe 3 WRs, the field is spread and Rice tends to break those long runs (example). On 3rd and one with Leach there to power block, everyone knows what's coming but they still convert. I am generalizing but I think Leach was used in a lot of short yardage situations where they just needed to get the first.
    Good point.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    I'm not too worried about the scenarios and situations. Provided we suffer no whammies, I think that the 2013 Ravens will be better than the 2012 teams in every major offensive and defensive statistical category. Suggs, Webb and Smith will "lead" the defense, but we are chock full of leaders and vets on that side of the ball.

Joe, Marshal and Torrey will handle the offense just fine.
    And Rice. And Pitta. And Oher.