Page 18 of 33 FirstFirst ... 1617181920 ... LastLast

Re: Goodbye Vonta Leach

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Leach played 42% of the snaps last year. I never said they weren't successful with Leach in. More than half of the offensive snaps, Leach was on the sideline.
    And if does return that number will drop. Which is why Ozzie is NOT going to pay him what he was supposed to get this year.
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis

2. Re: Goodbye Vonta Leach

I want Leach back for obvious short yardage situations.
    Between Yanda and KO, defenses won't know which side Rice or Pierce is going to go, so even if they stack the box, if both guards block one guy each, Vonta blocks another, that should give our RB the crease they need to get that 1st down or TD pretty much every time.

Leach played 42% of the snaps last year. I never said they weren't successful with Leach in. More than half of the offensive snaps, Leach was on the sideline.
    Where do people get this 42% stat? Normally fbs don't play on third down. So those numbers are skewed.

Quote Originally Posted by celticrob View Post
    Where do people get this 42% stat? Normally fbs don't play on third down. So those numbers are skewed.
    They're not skewed. They are reflective of the FB's diminished value in today's NFL. 3rd and 2 is now a passing down. 3rd and 4 used to be a running down. Or at least enough of a possibility that you would keep your FB on the field.

The fact is that we will have a lot of 3rd downs this year. And the FB will not be on the field for most of them. Doesn't that speak to diminished value of that position, whether it is Leach or anyone else?
    "Chin up, chest out."

Blog Entries

Leach ended up playing just 456 of the team’s offensive snaps -- 42 percent -- which were fewer than backup tight end Ed Dickson and offensive guard Jah Reid, who missed half the season with injuries. Leach, who will turn 32 in November, played just 22 offensive snaps in the Super Bowl win over the San Francisco 49ers.
    http://articles.baltimoresun.com/201...y-dennis-pitta

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PerpetuallyBored74 View Post
    I want Leach back for obvious short yardage situations.
    Between Yanda and KO, defenses won't know which side Rice or Pierce is going to go, so even if they stack the box, if both guards block one guy each, Vonta blocks another, that should give our RB the crease they need to get that 1st down or TD pretty much every time.
    If that were the case, then every team would use it. It's like telegraphing your play to the defense. You've simplified a short yardage play without taking the opposing DC's defensive stance/reaction to it. I'm not saying you don't have some kind of point, but "1st down or TD pretty much every time" is IMO unrealistic... Bc

Blog Entries

RB's & FB's are becoming devalued. The game evolves.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    The fact is that we will have a lot of 3rd downs this year. And the FB will not be on the field for most of them. Doesn't that speak to diminished value of that position, whether it is Leach or anyone else?
    FB won't be. H-back might, though. An H-back who's learned to be a decent lead blocker & is also a real threat to catch & run either from a shift into the slot or out of the backfield is a guy who'll play a lot of third downs. Say hello to #40.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    FB won't be. H-back might, though. An H-back who's learned to be a decent lead blocker & is also a real threat to catch & run either from a shift into the slot or out of the backfield is a guy who'll play a lot of third downs. Say hello to #40.
    Exactly. I think juice check is going to be huge in Caldwell's offense. Think 3rd and short showing a I formation with juice check and rice in the backfield. Play action to Rice and juice check slips out into the flat.

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    They're not skewed. They are reflective of the FB's diminished value in today's NFL. 3rd and 2 is now a passing down. 3rd and 4 used to be a running down. Or at least enough of a possibility that you would keep your FB on the field.

I'm not disagreeing on the diminshed role of the FB. My point is stats can be skewed. In week 17 Leach played 2 of the 89 snaps. In weeks 7 and 15 we were killed so his snap total was minimal. In contrast our best game of the year week 16, Leach played almost 60% of the snaps.

In addition that stat is wrong about the Super Bowl. Leach played 31 snaps not 22. Sloppy reporting. Kinda of proves my point about stats.

Blog Entries

I'm not disagreeing on the diminshed role of the FB. My point is stats can be skewed. In week 17 Leach played 2 of the 89 snaps. In weeks 7 and 15 we were killed so his snap total was minimal. In contrast our best game of the year week 16, Leach played almost 60% of the snaps.
    42 percent of snaps and 4 million don't add up. That's what it comes down to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk