Page 29 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2728293031 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Goodbye Vontae Leach

I'd prefer to have Leach back at less than the supposed $2M base offer. I value his experience and leadership and toughness. But not at $2M.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    and like i said, imo, the best vs guys not even in the league when you consider how many teams dont even carry one, isnt that great of a difference. Saying hes the best is fine, saying a guy off the street isnt capable of filling his blocking assignment i think is taking away from our coaches ability to coach. Carrying two FBs seems like and odd place to value roster spots. when the majority of the league, including our own with caldwell, arent using them either at all or at a high percentage.

I have less issue with the 2m assuming we can still carry over the max allowed to help us with next years cap. thats where 2m vs min comes into play for me, not this years cap necessarily, but its implications on next years.

as far as which bubble player, it could be a lot. could be our 6th WR, our 6/7th DB, a DL or most likely our 3rd TE. 1 year of Leach for goalline worth losing a Furstenburg who could be our 2nd TE next year? I personally just dont see the value in wasting another spot on position we already were phasing out before we had Caldwell calling it.

whats the point in having the best at a position if hes on the sideline 60%+ (assuming hes not splitting time with Juice)?
    Juice isn't going to be a fullback. He's going to be a Joe Gibbs style H-back. If they do resign Leach, KJ will be the 3rd TE. You're going to see a lot of short yardage with Leach and KJ on the field at the same time.

Blog Entries

Juice, pitta and dickson is a mistmatch nightmare

Blog Entries

Re: Goodbye Vonta Leach

Think of those multiple TE packages the 9ers run. No reason Leach and Juice couldn't fill those occasional roles plus Furst from MD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Vontae Leach didn't just complete his assignment. He didn't just put guys on their ass. He intimidated defenders. How many times did we see defenders shy away from Leach, opening more space for Ray Rice and company. His presence impacts the game. That is something that Juice will not immediately bring to the table. There are still plenty of situations that will require his services. On the goalline. Short yardage. Fourth quarter with a lead. You don't want to become one of these teams that has to continue to throw, because they can't run to eat the clock. You want to stay aggressive, but it's hard to quantify Leach's total impact on games, compared to what you would expect from Juice.

And I think not taking a chance on trying to figure that out, is worth 2 million and a roster spot.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Exel i feel you there what Leach bring is that physical presence to run anbody that can pancake patrick willis for a rice 10yrd run needs to be on this team i fear the running game wont be the same without leach i really dont see Juice being that physical but as Gota pointed out he wi be used more of Cooley type player as we know Cooley was a beast just not a physical guy in run blocking.

Blog Entries

I can definitely see Ray Rice being more successful in lighter packages, where the box is clearer and he is able to hit the hole more quickly. However, to see Pierce running behind Leach in the fourth quarter instills confidence in the idea that they'll close out the game. That also makes the play action a little easier. They'd only have to hit it once or twice.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

True that! Love watching the new Ravens close out games going heavy and just beating the shit outta teams down the fourth linebackers starting to crawl away from the hole cause Leach was just kickin that ass. Ravens found out how to really close games once cam got fired, it would be nice to bring him back to see that.

Every team's defense has soft spots and Leach supports a smash mouth power running game. I can see him finishing games and used more on teams the ground game is churning out yards. He's a hammer that's an addition to a tool belt. There will be games he gets fewer snaps. It's a luxury to have him available to take the heart out of a defense.

Blog Entries

And Just when they creep up, Joe goes deep, much like 08.

As much as I absolutely love the way Leach plays, I'm still not sold on the value. Last year, if I am remembering the stats I've seen correctly, our running game was statistically better when Leach was not on the field. Not by much but it certainly was not worse. Rice is just better out of single back set. The one and only value I can see is Pierce running behind Leach on short yardage and late in the game. So I guess I ultimately could take him or leave him. Certainly is fun watching him hammer guys though.

Vonta Leach is worth the money from the numbers I'm seeing and absolutely worth a roster spot. Just because the rest of the league doesn't put as much value on a power running game doesn't mean we should not. Anywhere from 2M or less I think it will be worth it.

Leach is a guy who consistently gets lower and overpowers everyone else. With the rest of the league moving toward the passing game, defenses are going that direction, too. Leach will overpower the lighter, faster LBs these league has 99% of the time, which we've obviously seen since Vonta has been here. That guy may be the most valuable player on the field at the goal line, and that is where most points are scored.