Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Tim Tebow signs with the Patriots

^OMG nice pic.

If they're smart they'll let Tebow run the option spread like he ran in college. That's something he's good at

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by RavensQB View Post
    This has Kraft written all over it. BB would never do someting that S T U P I D!!
    This is not a Kraft move. He generally does not get involved in stuff like that and definitely not for a back up QB. I think people are greatly overestimating the importance of this move. I think its an invite to camp to compete and he will most likely not get a roster spot. If for some reason he turns out to win a spot, then its a bonus. Low risk high reward and they can always cut him. Its just like the Ravens taking a shot at Rolando McClain.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by akashicrecorder View Post
    I know it's been done before. My point was more that everyone and their dad keeps saying "make him switch positions!" as if it's such an easy or obvious solution. There's no proof he's really good at any position in the NFL so far, because the one he actually did play he was bad at.
    I agree with you that he hasn't proven to be very good at any position, but a good football player is a good football player; and I'd argue that Tebow is a good football player.

Here is what is known about Tebow:
    The guy is big (6'3" 240-245lbs).
    The guy is fast for his size, agile, durable, and not easy to bring down when he is on the move.
    He has really outstanding peripheral vision and his ability to set up would-be tacklers is nice.

The issues is that he isn't an NFL QB, in the traditional sense, because he can't throw. I remember a game last year where he had a WIDE open Stephen Hill in the end-zone and he shorted the pass by a good 5-8 yards in front of Hill. He can throw it far, but he has no accuracy and his best throws come after the play has already broken down and defenses are keying on him running. Even then, he's wildly inaccurate. He's no QB.

Could he be a TE/WR? Possibly. He needs to be coached on route-running and if he is a TE he is going to have to get used to blocking, even marginally. I'd like to think that all QBs at the professional level have a good understanding of route-running and how to get open. Even if they've not done it in practice, they still have that understanding and sometimes that can be a catalyst for developing into a really solid route-runner that knows how to set up defenders and get open (a la Hines Ward). I actually think that if the Pats use him as a slot receiver and limit his route-tree to short stuff designed to get him into space, then he could be effective for the Patriots. Eventually, if he is serious about it, he'll develop better route running skills, maybe drop some pounds, and become a decent possession receiver. Then, of course, can the guy catch? I'm just speaking from experience here, but QBs are almost always some of the best athletes on the entire football team. Now, I don't see Tebow turning into Larry Fitzgerald or anything, but I think if he can get looks where he is not in tight coverage, he could be ok.

Could he be a RB? For schnitzengiggles I signed Tebow to the Ravens in Madden a few years ago and moved him to RB and used him as Ray Rice's back up (this was before Pierce). He was great. Granted, Madden isn't a great litmus test for REAL world, but I am in the boat that thinks Tebow's best position would be as a change-of-pace running back who comes in on short yardage situations/goal line situations. You could devise a few gadget plays where he might throw it, but ultimately you want to let him do what he does best, and that is run the rock. He needs to learn how to block, but I think as a Mike Alstott/Peyton Hillis type of player, Tebow would find the most success. He doesn't have a lot of wear and tear on his body right now either, so someone could conceivably get a good 3-5 years out of him as a #2 RB.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    I'd love to, but I wouldn't be imagining Tebow. Woodhead is a shifty, undersized runner with quick burst and a low center of gravity.

By RB standards Tebow is more like Brandon Jacobs. I big, upright plodder with little to no hip flexion.

I'm not saying he can't be a RB, but I don't think it's likely.

Better use or his talents would be as an HBack. He's big, and strong and a willing blocker. Let him bang heads with defenders, catch a couple balls a game, and maybe take a carry or two on occasion. (Which by the way was my take on him from Day 1 of his senior year at Florida. I would have loved the kid on our team... In the 4th round.)
    I understand the Brandon Jacobs comparison, but I would certainly argue that Tebow is A LOT shiftier and much more fluid than Jacobs ever was.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavensQB View Post
    This has Kraft written all over it. BB would never do someting that S T U P I D!!
    I actually think this has Josh McDaniels written all over it.

God... all you thread police need to take a freaking break....
    "It deserves it's own thread why..."?
    LOL, get over yourselves already. If it doesn't interest you, don't click on it. Otherwise it may be a conversation worth having betwen the rest of us.

As far as Tebow goes, I don't think any of his talents are worth the media circus that he will initially bring. But, I think Belicheck will pretty much ignore the media and keep it fairly quiet. In fact, it's the perfect opportunity for him to thumb his nose at the media which he loves to do. Whatever.... I would have to think Tebow is the #3 when it comes to actually throwing the ball. If anyone can make good use of any of his talents, it's Belicheck. Should be interesting....
    Last edited by MinnesotaRaven; 06-11-2013 at 10:41 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I actually think this has Josh McDaniels written all over it.
    It sure does. McDaniels drafted Tebow and thinks he knows how to turn him into that player he envisioned. The price was right and he made his case to Bill.

Maybe Belichick signed him to give post-game interviews for him when they lose.

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    I don't think people are saying it because it's an easy or obvious solution. I think people are saying it because it might be the only option, as he doesn't seem to be able to make it as a QB. If the opinion of NFL people is that he isn't an NFL QB, the only way to attempt to stay in the NFL is by switching positions.
    Good point. I agree w/ the majority that it's probably his best if not only option at this point. Just hoping the pundits/fans can remember that even if he does switch positions, there's no guarantee it's a magical cure-all that makes him a relevant football player who is decent at that position.
    My Ravens Blog: Brittany Rants About Football
    Ravens-Redskins: Dissecting the Final Drive

"The days are long. But the years are short." - John Harbaugh

Blog Entries

BB has rolled the dice on players before and it didn't work - Chad Johnson, Haynesworth, and there are others. It'll be interesting to follow but I don't see Mallet going anywhere unless it's a trade. They typically don't carry 3 QBs.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by saintmatthew View Post
    Maybe Belichick signed him to give post-game interviews for him when they lose.

speaking of...Ravens traded pick to Denver so they could take Tebow, and used the Denver picks for Dickson and Pitta? according to Peter King

"That's where McDaniels comes in. In 2010, I spent a day inside the Broncos when McDaniels was the head coach, watching him install his offense to a quarterback group that included Kyle Orton, Brady Quinn and Tebow. McDaniels, you'll recall, traded second-, third- and fourth-round picks to Baltimore to move up and pick Tebow in the first round of the 2010 draft. (Good move, as it turned out, for Baltimore -- they got Dennis Pitta and Ed Dickson out of the deal.)"

I vaguely remember but not specifically
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)