Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

OT - Remembering D-Day, 6 June 1944.

Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Re: OT - Remembering D-Day, 6 June 1944.

Blog Entries

Great thread!

My unit was able to Jump in Normandy on D-Day last year and I unfortunately couldn't make it, funding fell through this year to do it. Hopefully next year we'll be able to get back over there and I'm definitely getting on that one. Would be a great experience!

:usa:
    "What would you give for the man beside you?"

Blog Entries

My wife went to the beaches at Normandy when we were in college (she studied abroad for a semester in Europe). I've been wanting to go for a long time.

Maybe we'll plan on doing that next year.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

That's a place I've always wanted to go. Will get there sometime. It strikes me as just a powerful, emotional place.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

My uncle landed on Utah Beach on D-Day. He's told us about some of the other battles, but never wanted to talk much about that day.
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

Blog Entries

Normandy is one part of France I've never visited & is definitely on the near-term itinerary--maybe as soon as the late summer. D-Day beaches a top target & I'm sure it will be emotionally stirring...

BTW let us not forget that Rome was also liberated on D-Day. A couple of my uncles fought in Italy--a nasty, nasty slog.

Slightly o/t, but something else I'd like to do--hopefully next summer on the 100th anniversary--is to fly into Paris, rent a car, & go northeast through the World War I battlefields (more properly, from cemetery to cemetery, since most of the dead were buried where they fell). I'd end up in Ypers at the Menin Gate when the local trumpeter comes out (as one does every evening) to play The Last Post in memory of the 50,000 British soldiers who died there with no known resting place & whose names are inscribed on the gate...

Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    That's a place I've always wanted to go. Will get there sometime. It strikes me as just a powerful, emotional place.

Went with the wifey 4 years ago. It's ridiculous when you stand on the beach and look up at the cliffs and picture guys in army uniforms rapelling UP the cliffs on ropes while Nazi's stood at the top and shot DOWN at them. Talk about ball sacks.. The cemeteries over there are incredible too. I think there are at least 10k Americans buried in the cemeteries over there.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jayc00 View Post
    Great thread!

My unit was able to Jump in Normandy on D-Day last year and I unfortunately couldn't make it, funding fell through this year to do it. Hopefully next year we'll be able to get back over there and I'm definitely getting on that one. Would be a great experience!

:usa:
    That would be incredible. I pulling for you. What an amazing experience it would be.

I made it there about 25 years ago. We all pictured The Longest Day which was the closest Hollywood got to that event. Once Saving Private Ryan came out it put a whole new spin on it for those of us who weren't there.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    That would be incredible. I pulling for you. What an amazing experience it would be.

I made it there about 25 years ago. We all pictured The Longest Day which was the closest Hollywood got to that event. Once Saving Private Ryan came out it put a whole new spin on it for those of us who weren't there.
    Did you ever see Band of Brothers?

Blog Entries

I was on a college trip to Paris in 70 but we didn't go that far south but I stood above the
    Arizona. It was still leaking oil.

Those WW1 battle fields are very important and little known. There are American cemetries there
    just like at Normandy where Americans took heavy casualties in the Argonne Forests. They
    held their ground and protected the flank which enabled Pershing to break thru.

A big thanks to all the vets that risked their lives and are still risking their lives.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Did you ever see Band of Brothers?
    I guess that is a little different in my mind because it focuses on the paratroopers and not the landing. Just as crazy though and important. It's just tougher to visualize when you are looking at the beach.