Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 50
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    7,256

    Re: Birk Refuses WH Invite



    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Using these visits for political statements is hilarious to me.
    Exactly. This is laughable and petty.

    Winning the Super Bowl AND meeting the president are two once-in-a-lifetime events, and you are throwing both away because the man has a different political opinion? What a waste of a golden moment. It almost leaves me speechless.




  2. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,504

    Re: Ravens at the White House Stream

    Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    It's not out of spite. Nor is it about that I disagree with their agenda. It's that I know that person is not doing the same as I am (putting things aside).

    If someone does something you find wrong it doesn't give you the license to do the same, except when they do it to you. That's the difference in this scenario.
    Still sounds like spite to me.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  3. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,742

    Re: Birk Refuses WH Invite

    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    If you already don't like someone, it doesn't take long to find something they do wrong in your opinion. It's extremely easy to find things people would complain about for almost every president in our history.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    I get what your saying. But this isn't specific to him. I have people I don't like and things I don't like about people that I and they put aside to be friends or friendly.

    I do not feel that he does the same, for example check out his body language when Benjamin Netanyahu comes in town for a visit.
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  4. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    7,256

    Re: Birk Refuses WH Invite

    Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    It's extremely easy to find things people would complain about for almost every president in our history.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    I'd go to be with my brothers no matter who's the Chief. It's not about the man (someday woman), it's about the office.
    Yup.

    I guess if one day I have a chance to meet Birk, a crucial member of my favorite team in all pro sports, I'll just turn it down. I mean, as a pro-lifer, Birk probably prefers that pregnant women carry fetuses to term even if it endangers their lives, right? I couldn't stand to be in his presence. If Birk invited me to his home to look at his Super Bowl ring and reminisce about the 2013 playoffs, I'd refuse because 1) it's not like I'm depriving myself of anything cool, 2) his feelings would be hurt SO HARD.

    /sarcasm




  5. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,504

    Re: Birk Refuses WH Invite

    Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    I get what your saying. But this isn't specific to him. I have people I don't like and things I don't like about people that I and they put aside to be friends or friendly.

    I do not feel that he does the same, for example check out his body language when Benjamin Netanyahu comes in town for a visit.
    So it's not specific to him, yet you site a specific example of him doing something to a foreign leader?
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  6. #21

    Re: Ravens at the White House Stream

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    And that's precisely what's wrong with this country.

    There was a time in this country when people from both sides of the fence would sit around and enjoy each others company. Politicians and citizens alike would put aside their political differences and simply be cool to one another.

    The event wasn't political and it was a once in a lifetime chance to go to a place very few will ever see. I couldn't stand Clinton but I jumped at the chance to meet him and go to the White House.

    As for Birk, I support his right to free speech but feel he missed out on an opportunity. Missing that opportunity is his right, too.
    I don't disagree with your premise. I would have no issue shaking Bill Clinton's hand, or many democrats. It's THIS administration of Democrats that have not earned even one ounce of respect from me. IT is not the polarized dichotomy of values and ideals that separate us, it is INTENT. IT is my belief that this administration is NOT actively working to improve the status of our nation worldwide, but is in fact intentionally taking this country into the garbage.




  7. #22

    Re: Birk Refuses WH Invite

    Quote Originally Posted by akashicrecorder View Post
    Yup.

    I guess if one day I have a chance to meet Birk, a crucial member of my favorite team in all pro sports, I'll just turn it down. I mean, as a pro-lifer, Birk probably prefers that pregnant women carry fetuses to term even if it endangers their lives, right? I couldn't stand to be in his presence. If Birk invited me to his home to look at his Super Bowl ring and reminisce about the 2013 playoffs, I'd refuse because 1) it's not like I'm depriving myself of anything cool, 2) his feelings would be hurt SO HARD.

    /sarcasm
    I'm pro-choice... would love to meet Birk.

    With me it IS specific to Obama and his cronies. It's not about minor differences in viewpoints on certain topics, it's the tactics that go with his INCREDIBLY liberal beliefs.




  8. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,742

    Re: Birk Refuses WH Invite

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    So it's not specific to him, yet you site a specific example of him doing something to a foreign leader?
    Right. The standard is not specific to him, but the reason I feel that way about him is shown inn said example.


    But anyway. I just went to lunch with a buddy who is a HUGE Obama supporter and asked would he have gone if it were Bush. HE said no but then after talking we both agreed that we actually would go regardless of the President to be with the team we won the championship with. If this were anything different than that (say a beer summit) we would like refuse.
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  9. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,742

    Re: Ravens at the White House Stream

    Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I don't disagree with your premise. I would have no issue shaking Bill Clinton's hand, or many democrats. It's THIS administration of Democrats that have not earned even one ounce of respect from me. IT is not the polarized dichotomy of values and ideals that separate us, it is INTENT. IT is my belief that this administration is NOT actively working to improve the status of our nation worldwide, but is in fact intentionally taking this country into the garbage.
    Kinda why I felt the way I do/did. If this were anything other than a team event I would refuse too.
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  10. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Westminster - Raventown, MD!
    Posts
    13,099
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Ravens at the White House Stream

    I just think it's incredibly short sighted. Wwe should be promoting bipartisanship, go and tell Obama "i don't agree with you opinion on X".

    How many of us get an opportunity to speak DIRECTLY to the President? Will he listen, maybe not, but you look like you're trying to work to change someone's mind. Otherwise, to me, just looks you are pouting.

    Also, I was not a supported of GWB...but watching the speech he gave the 2000 Ravens, I thought he was much more cool and confident speaking about them, I felt he gave a much better speech than Obama. And I would still have gone.
    .
    .
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.


    Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!




  11. #26

    Re: Ravens at the White House Stream

    Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    I just think it's incredibly short sighted. Wwe should be promoting bipartisanship, go and tell Obama "i don't agree with you opinion on X".

    How many of us get an opportunity to speak DIRECTLY to the President? Will he listen, maybe not, but you look like you're trying to work to change someone's mind. Otherwise, to me, just looks you are pouting.

    Also, I was not a supported of GWB...but watching the speech he gave the 2000 Ravens, I thought he was much more cool and confident speaking about them, I felt he gave a much better speech than Obama. And I would still have gone.
    2 separate things entirely. This is an invitation to shake his hand, not speak with him frankly about policies and have him even attempt to make it look like he cares. Would I sit down and break bread with him if I thought he had even one smidgen of genuine curiosity as to what I might have to say? ABSOLUTELY.

    And in that context, would i show respect to the office and the fact that he is privy to much more information than I am? ABSOLUTELY, once again. I wouldn't be overly harsh and accusatory as I am behind his back. I would respectfully lay out some complaints about policy that does not seem to coincide with promoting the welfare of the common American.




  12. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    13,453
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Ravens at the White House Stream

    Elway refused to go after he won the SB when Clinton was in WH and it was all political. Rush made a big deal of it.

    Once in church our pastor was preaching and said if the president of the US called you to the WH you would go wouldn't you. He was equating him like God calling you. I started laughing my ass off and then the rest of the church did and he turned to me and said maybe that was a bad question.

    He said Trap, it's the importance of the office. He's the most important man in the world so you would still go wouldn't you. I said nope.

    And I sure wouldn't go for this clown too the way he's raised the debt, taxes not to mention
    destroying the country. It is all political for me and I wouldn't go if I were a star.

    I got to meet President Ford. That was at work. As you know I worked in the federal court system for years and we had a naturalization hearing at Ft McHenry in front of 7,000 people and Ford came to speak and hand out the certificates and I got to shake his hand.

    http://gurukul.american.edu/heintze/FourthPres.htm

    WE were on the stage and a big wind came in and blew the certificates all over the place and underneath the stage where we were all sitting with the Prez. I jumped up and got the certificates and even had to crawl under the stage all dressed up to get some.

    AFterwards the Prez said Trap, I'm sure glad you jumped up. You moved pretty fast.
    Just like OBY knew about Ray's dance, Ford knew my nick name. I was impressed.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 06-06-2013 at 04:47 PM.




  13. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    7,256

    Re: Ravens at the White House Stream

    Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    I just think it's incredibly short sighted. Wwe should be promoting bipartisanship, go and tell Obama "i don't agree with you opinion on X".

    How many of us get an opportunity to speak DIRECTLY to the President? Will he listen, maybe not, but you look like you're trying to work to change someone's mind. Otherwise, to me, just looks you are pouting.

    Also, I was not a supported of GWB...but watching the speech he gave the 2000 Ravens, I thought he was much more cool and confident speaking about them, I felt he gave a much better speech than Obama. And I would still have gone.
    Well said. Comes off pouty and possibly pointless.




  14. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    7,256

    Re: Birk Refuses WH Invite

    Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I'm pro-choice... would love to meet Birk.

    With me it IS specific to Obama and his cronies. It's not about minor differences in viewpoints on certain topics, it's the tactics that go with his INCREDIBLY liberal beliefs.
    What tactics?

    Also, you capitalize "incredibly" ... I guess I don't mind that, not just because I am liberal but also because liberalism is based on giving more freedom/options to more groups of people than conservatism.

    I also want badly to comment on holy books and how they warp people into having petty/spiteful mindsets like Birk is showing here ... but perhaps this isn't the thread.




  15. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,504
    Quote Originally Posted by akashicrecorder View Post
    I am liberal but also because liberalism is based on giving more freedom/options to more groups of people than conservatism.
    I used to think this way too. Give it time

    For another thread as well I suppose.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland