Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    If Moss had publicly accepted that he was a fuck up and was willing to take a backup role to earn a roster spot in the hopes that it could someday reenergize his career, AND we were as short camp WRs as we are on strong armed camp QBs, that would be a valid comparison.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Re: Ravens interested in Jamarcus Russell?

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Bring in Randy Moss too. Smh
    Jets should sign Moss and J. Russell. They need both, WR & QB.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Chalk me up as someone who would be ok with them kicking the tires on Russell. I realize it is a rumor and not true, but if they did I would be ok with it.

The fact of the matter is that Tyrod is athletic as hell, but isn't a very good passer. Especially from the pocket. Caleb Hanie is really not very good and he has a weak arm.

A motivated Russell could (key word here..."could") be better than Tyrod or Hanie. He has a blue chip arm. He just didn't take it seriously in Oakland at all. I'm not even going to lay this on Oakland's feet, his flameout was all Jamarcus Russell. Still, if he is serious, he has talent and he's still young. Let him come in, earn it, impress some folks, and we may be able to ship him off for a draft pick next year to a potential QB-needy team (Jacksonville, Arizona, Chicago, San Diego, Cleveland, etc).
    Agreed.

Posters seems to think the Ravens are set at QB when in reality they don't have a back-up. Flacco goes down and this team goes into the 5-6 win territory fast.

While its an incredible long shot why not see what he has. If he works out then you have your potential backup this year. If not he's gone at no real cost.

Whilst it's looking increasingly unlikely that it won't happen, I would be very intrigued to see it.

The guy has lost something like more than 50lbs, and you don't lose that kind of weight unless you put the graft in and he's clearly more Flacco's style QB than Taylor. He has an absolute weapon for an arm.

I like Taylor, but if Flacco goes down, the entire offence has to change, and it just would not be pretty. Bring Russell in, see how he handles camp and just go from there.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    Nobody wants to give him a 5 year contract. In fact I think my endorsement was the strongest and it included the caveat that I doubted he'd make the team.

We want him because we can sign him to a no risk deal and maybe MAYBE get a quality back up out of him.
    exact same situation as McClain, who Im pretty sure were not done with yet. Young guy with loads of potential that will not cost us a dime to look at. another lose nothing scenario, with plenty to gain.

for the record, hes down to his rookie weight of 265. He never was a little dude but that certainly shows signs that hes dedicated to getting another shot as well as working with Garcia on mechanics on his own time/money. He may have been sitting around eating "chicken and biscuits" to cause the problems, but he hasnt been doing that lately.

going back to what somebody said in another thread, sometimes we forget these are young men with other things going on in their lives. He may have cracked under the pressue of franchise QB while dealing with the loss of his uncles, but to be given a shot at being the backup? i really dont see the issue.
    -JAB

Just say no to ex-Raider busts. One was enough for this year.

Blog Entries
    Hope someone gives him a shot but I would be pissed if the Ravens even consider him, and I am pretty confident they won't. Do not want the biggest bust in NFL history mentioned in the same sentence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Talent can only get you so far. Vince Young is another guy with tremendous talent. 3 different teams have now given up on him and Young can't even get a try out this offseason.

Part of what made Russell so good in college was his great leadership ability. That 2006 LSU team had a weak running attack after Joseph Addai had left the year before. On top of that the o-line was not up to it's usual level. This was not something that they were used to dealing with. JaMarcus put the offense on his back and carried that team. He looked like Big Ben moving around and making plays despite constant pressure. Those were the exact skills that JaMarcus lost when he came to the NFL. Honestly I don't think you can just turn it on again. Talent alone just isn't enough

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Talent can only get you so far. Vince Young is another guy with tremendous talent. 3 different teams have now given up on him and Young can't even get a try out this offseason.

Part of what made Russell so good in college was his great leadership ability. That 2006 LSU team had a weak running attack after Joseph Addai had left the year before. On top of that the o-line was not up to it's usual level. This was not something that they were used to dealing with. JaMarcus put the offense on his back and carried that team. He looked like Big Ben moving around and making plays despite constant pressure. Those were the exact skills that JaMarcus lost when he came to the NFL. Honestly I don't think you can just turn it on again. Talent alone just isn't enough
    That innate ability to lead just doesn't go away though.

In all honesty, I think Jamarcus Russell became apathetic when he got into the NFL. The Raiders stunk, their organization was in disarray, and there was a different coaching staff each season. Not making excuses for the guy because he let himself get out of shape and uninterested in learning how to be a pro, but this wouldn't be the first time that a young, impressionable player goes to a team that is just permeated with negativity, so they become "whatever" about the whole thing. He signed a mega deal, made his cash, and figured that if the rest of the organization didn't give a shit (seemingly), why should he? Gotta remember, these are YOUNG kids we're talking about here. Not all of them have the maturity it takes to be a consummate professional the day they're drafted.

It is possible that he figured out the errors he made and is trying to correct them. You use Vince Young as a comparative example and while I agree to a certain extent, Young has still been in the news even after being bounced from the Titans to the Eagles and to the Bills as being financially stupid with his money. It doesn't seem like Young has hit that "bottom" yet. Maybe Russell has?

I'm not advocating that the Ravens take a chance on the guy, but I do hope that he can get back into the league because you're right GOTA, that guy was very similar to Roethlisberger at LSU. He could flick the ball 65-70 yards in the air, no problem.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

It's very simple. Signing this guy is LITERALLY ZERO RISK, at least from a monetary perspective. Best case scenario--he has legitimately turned it around and he wins the backup QB job. Worst case scenario--he hasn't, and he gets cut in camp. Either way, the Ravens would be paying a pittance or nothing at all. He won't get a dime unless he proves he's worth it, because no team is going to be handing him any guaranteed money.

I also don't see any risk from a human capital perspective. His story is going to get some press, but it will be a tiny blip on the radar of the 24 hour news cycle, so I doubt it will be much of a distraction. The only man-hour investment it's going to take is flying him out here, watching him go through drills, and going through the 10 minute negotiation with his agent.

I don't see how people could be so adamantly against such a win-win proposition.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I don't see how people could be so adamantly against such a win-win proposition.
    When you *just* look at it from a monetary perspective, anyone can be sold on the idea.

Problem is, as with McClain, it isn't *just* a monetary endeavor.

The introduction of someone who may be lazy, a head case, a malcontent, etc into a relatively young locker room could be far more disastrous than any cap / salary implications.

That's the risk I don't want the team to take. It has nothing to do with the money.

Besides, he simply isn't that good. At this point in their respective careers, I'd take Tyrod. He knows the system better than anyone other than Flacco at this point.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    When you *just* look at it from a monetary perspective, anyone can be sold on the idea.

Problem is, as with McClain, it isn't *just* a monetary endeavor.

The introduction of someone who may be lazy, a head case, a malcontent, etc into a relatively young locker room could be far more disastrous than any cap / salary implications.
    coughMcKinniecough :)

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven
    At this point in their respective careers, I'd take Tyrod. He knows the system better than anyone other than Flacco at this point.
    Valid point and one that shouldn't be overlooked.

In fact, because of this Tyrod should - theoretically - be able to beat someone like Russell out.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.