Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Ravens interested in Jamarcus Russell?

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    It's very simple. Signing this guy is LITERALLY ZERO RISK, at least from a monetary perspective. Best case scenario--he has legitimately turned it around and he wins the backup QB job. Worst case scenario--he hasn't, and he gets cut in camp. Either way, the Ravens would be paying a pittance or nothing at all. He won't get a dime unless he proves he's worth it, because no team is going to be handing him any guaranteed money.

I also don't see any risk from a human capital perspective. His story is going to get some press, but it will be a tiny blip on the radar of the 24 hour news cycle, so I doubt it will be much of a distraction. The only man-hour investment it's going to take is flying him out here, watching him go through drills, and going through the 10 minute negotiation with his agent.

I don't see how people could be so adamantly against such a win-win proposition.
    I'm with you. At worst, the Ravens have a cannon as a camp arm...and he hits the bricks when the rosters get cut down.

At best, you have a guy who can (somewhat) duplicate the throws Flacco can make as a back-up.

I don't see Russell being a bad influence in the Ravens locker room. Yes, we lost Lewis and Reed. We aren't bereft of leaders, however, and those leaders- unlike Russell- have a Lombardi to wave around. What cred is Russell bringing into the locker room with him?

As long as he comes in to be a tackling dummy for the D's pass rushers during training camp, I think think the Ravens should sign him.

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    That was six years ago and he's been laying on the couch eating chicken and biscuits since then. You guys are nuts
    And purple drank!! Sorry, couldn't resist. Back on topic, I don't know if he's a good fit for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    hahahahahahahahhahahahahhahahah. Idk but I just LOVE meme's man.

And you owe me a new laptop cause I spit water all over it when I saw this!

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    It's a fundamental disagreement we will never agree upon.

I don't see why we have to be the team of 2nd chances. I'd rather go with younger, unproven talent than 2nd chance prospects that might hit 1 out of 100 times.
    This is why I eventually tired of debating the Rolando McClain garbage.

Some people don't care about anything...play on the field, character, morals, intelligence...as long as the player at one point was a top draft pick...and makes "only 700k" lmao.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Jamarcus would be a perfect, "can't miss" fit.

With the Jets, Cowgirls, or Bungles.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    This is why I eventually tired of debating the Rolando McClain garbage.

Some people don't care about anything...play on the field, character, morals, intelligence...as long as the player at one point was a top draft pick...and makes "only 700k" lmao.
    Because if you're a first round pick you have athletic talent, and people don't generally forget how to play football. I'm too tired to come up with an interesting segue so I'll do a quick list.

Play on the field- Certain players don't fit into certain schemes. Rhonde Barber is a possible HOF CB, but he wouldn't be nearly as good in our system that requires man-to-man coverage.

Character- I remember a fairly decent starter for us who was accused of a double murder after he'd been in the league four years. He went on to have a quality career. Vick was in federal prison before the Eagles gave him a second chance.

Are these examples indicative of every bust? Not at all. However, they do show that reclamation projects are possible. That's why people feel that former high draft picks could be brought in to "kick the tires".

Please don't take this as an endorsement for signing Russell. That's a move I'm completely bleh about.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    Because if you're a first round pick you have athletic talent, and people don't generally forget how to play football. I'm too tired to come up with an interesting segue so I'll do a quick list.

Play on the field- Certain players don't fit into certain schemes. Rhonde Barber is a possible HOF CB, but he wouldn't be nearly as good in our system that requires man-to-man coverage.

Character- I remember a fairly decent starter for us who was accused of a double murder after he'd been in the league four years. He went on to have a quality career. Vick was in federal prison before the Eagles gave him a second chance.

Are these examples indicative of every bust? Not at all. However, they do show that reclamation projects are possible. That's why people feel that former high draft picks could be brought in to "kick the tires".

Please don't take this as an endorsement for signing Russell. That's a move I'm completely bleh about.
    Vick and Ray Lewis were all pros before the character stuff. Guys like Russell had zero success.

Look, as I said before, I'm not against second chances. But you absolutely have to give me something more than simply being a high draft pick at one point...or else it reeks of desperation. Yes I would have eagerly given Ray Lewis or even Vick to amceratin degree a second chance...they proved they were not only good players, but pro-bowl and all pro players BEFORE their legal issues surfaced.

You can talk yourself into anything if you are desperate enough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Perhaps Jamarcus can teach Upshaw the secret to his dietary success... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    And how is that possible with a 53 player limit?

Someone has to be sent home eventually and I'd rather give the new guys a shot.
    We have 90 and a dew months for a guy to be deemed worthy of 53. Theres guys on our roster that simply dont have the talent to be in the nfl no matter how hard they try. Russell and others like him have the talent and need to prove the drive or whatever held them back. If youre playing the numbers theyre far better with the guys that have talent to actually play or have played.
    -JAB

Blog Entries
    I honestly can't believe some of you guys seriously want the ravens to sign the biggest bust in NFL history. A guy who has shown nothing and hasn't played in years.

Wow. Just wow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I honestly can't believe some of you guys seriously want the ravens to sign the biggest bust ...
    http://www.starpulse.com/Music/Parto...ry/KSR-014831/
    ... Bc