Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your Greatest Ravens Plays of All Time?

Relatively dead part of the season, and with the Broncos Divisional Game being replayed, it got me thinking of what are some of the Greatest Ravens Plays of All Time. Don't remember having a thread on this topic, and I'd like to see other people's opinions.

Mine are going to be 2000 and 2012 heavy since winning the SB is paramount

10) tie (Copout... I know)

A) Tuck's 47 yarder --- Ended the greatest Ravens game of all time, clutch 47yarder and mostly importantly exorcised the demons from Cunleft

B) Boldin's SB47 catch in the 4Q on the 3rd and 1 -- Had to have a Boldin play here in honor of his amazing playoff stretch... Why this one?? Don't know but I feel this one is the definition of Boldin. Maybe his most important catch as a Raven. The Ravens absolutely needed to stop the bleeding by moving the chains and Boldin made an extremely tough catch with Rodgers draped all over him. Kudos for Joe with the ballsy checkoff. Just one of the biggest clutch plays in Ravens History

9) Torrey TD catch @ Pittsburgh in 2011 --- Two reasons. 1) last second TD pass and 2) beats Steelers in Pitt. Ok TJ's catch in 2010 is the same then... Well difference was Torrey's was part of a 90 yard drive (and Torrey didn't drop a frickin perfect 4th and 18 pass later on in the year)

8) 4th down stop in SB47 --- My nails were gone and my blood pressure was through the roof. Really all 4 plays during that goalline stand qualify as a group

7) Graham OT INT in Denver --- Just the sheer importance of the play. Against Peyton too, who had beat the Ravens 9 times in a row previously

6) Shannon's 96yd TD in Oakland AFCC --- TD against Broncos is crazier, but did anyone think we were gonna lose that game. This catch was bigger.

5) 4th and 29 --- Ray Rice vs. the entire Chargers team....Simply Incredible. Props to Boldin for destroying Weddle.

4) Ray goes 50 in 2001 Titans Divisional --- His signature play. I never thought he was gonna make it to the end zone b/c he seemed to be running really slow. Some may think this is better than the Block FG return in the De Facto Super Bowl. Not me. Mitchell's play was bigger but this one was incredible too.

3) Flacco to JJ in SB47 – Like it better than JJ’s KR Return b/c of a JJ KR for TD was commonplace this season. Love how Joe stepped up in the pocket and delivered the bomb. Also the JJ moves after catch were simply incredible

2) Anthony Mitchell TD return of Keith Washington's FG block- Completely changed the game around in 15 sec. Thought the Titans would win if they got that FG b/c our offense didn't have a pray in that game. Just an amazing crazy play

1) JJ TD catch in Denver Divisional

Re: Your Greatest Ravens Plays of All Time?

I'd have JLew's two punt returns against the Jets in 2000 on this list, as well as his SB return for a TD.

That's a great list - thanks for sharing!

Brings up an interesting distinction - great plays versus important plays. I can think of a couple of really crazy plays that happened in lopsided games that dont make the cut of "important" but were certainly impressive.

I think Pollards decapitation of Ridley deserves a mention..

After doing my list, I realized I left out so many great ones. Here are my Honorable Mentions.

12) JJ KR in SB47
    13) JLew KR in SB35
    14) Rice goes 83 in 2010 NE WC
    15) Reed INT return in 2009 Miami WC
    16) Ray chases down Tiki Barber in SB35. Best Ravens tackle I’ve seen.
    17) Boldin 18yd TD in 2013 Colts WC --- Beast Mode
    18) Pitta OT catch in Denver Divisional.--- 3 and 13 @ own 3 --- CLUTCH
    19) Shannon takes Jamal’s bobble 58yds for TD in 2001 Denver WC --- Bonus Gash decleats Romo
    20) Dilfer to Stokley in SB35
    21) Heap 23yd catch in 2009 Titans Divisonal --- 3rd and 2 with 2:51 left in tie game. Joe’s announcement to the world that the playoffs are MY TIME.
    22) Lee Evans 14yd TD to win 2012 AFCC ---- PSYCHE! Lee, Lee.. :grbac: Should have been in Top 10
    The Real 22) Reed goes 107 against Eagles in 2008
    23) CMAC goes 107 after a missed last second 1H FG against Denver in 2002. And Ray’s Block!
    24) Boller in 2005 Denver Game --- 12-3 in 4Q with 6:08 left --- HeeHee
    Real 24) McNair to Heap in 2006 SD Game
    25) Jamal 25yd TD against Pitt in 2003 to eclipse 2K
    26) Boldin TD in SB47
    27) Starks INT Return in SB35
    28) Banks to Sharpe against Jax in 2000
    29 & 30) Willis and LeRon go back to back against Dallas in 2008

Possible Others: Flacco to TJ to beat Pitt in 2010, Mason TD in 2009 Titans Divisional, Scott’s sack on Big Ben in 2006, Either JLew Punt Return in 2000 Jets game, Either Boldin TD in 2013 AFCC, Pollard's hit in AFCC. Josh Wilson INT Return to win 2010 Texans game

I have other Favorite plays that were not ‘Amazing’ but memorable...

2013 AFCC, Ravens only up 1 in 3Q, 3rd and 2, Pierce takes the handoff to run inside but bounces it outside. Narrowly avoids Ninkovich and gains 11yd to move the chains... I LOVE that play.

The Rice draw in OT against the Broncs with the Yanda assist.

Or something as simple as CMac blowing up Wheatley for a 6yd loss in 2001 AFCC... basically telling the Raiders #1 rushing offense that you ain’t gaining crap against our defense.

Blog Entries

I'm going to make my list based solely on the isolated awesomeness of the play, with no regard to how important it was in the grand scheme of things.

10. Shannon sharpe touchdown off deflected pass vs broncos in 2000

9. 83 yard touchdown run by ray rice on first play of pats game

8. Mark Clayton 70 yard one-handed touchdown vs bengals in 2008

7. Crazy Travis Taylor one-handed catch where he rolled over, got back up, and ran for touchdown

6. Ed Reed picks it off vs bengals in 2004, fumbles, and CMAC picks it up and brings in for touchdown

5. Joe Flacco's first touchdown a 36 yard run. WTF!

4. Ed Reed 108 yard touchdown

3. Jacoby's Super Bowl touchdown catch

2. The F bomb

1. Ray Lewis grabs ball from Eddie George and brings it back for a touchdown vs the titans in 2000

Honorable mentions:

Jamal Lewis's entire 2003 season, and his 75 yarder vs the bengals in 2004

Every pass by Flacco in the 2012 playoffs

Flacco's 40 yard catch

Torrey Smith's touchdown vs new England in 2011 AFCCG (where he dragged the player them dove)

Mark Clayton's long touchdown vs panthers in 2006 off of a deflected pass

Adalius Thomas's long fumble return touchdown in the 2006 27-0 victory vs Pittsburgh, where he ran faster than the steeler's wide receiver to the endzone

Trent Dilfer's touchdown pass to Stokley in Super Bowl. Would've just been another throw for Flacco, but for Dilfer to make such a great play in the big spotlight made it special. Of course, he missed several WIDE OPEN receivers later in that game, but, oh well.

Reed's 64 yard pick-six vs dolphins in playoffs 2008

Sharpe 98 yard TD vs Oakland. Because the play made no sense/

These are some great plays. I think I would put the F- Bomb at the top of the list as the greatest play in Ravens History. Top 5 in no particular order for me would also include the 4th and 29, Jermaine Lewis's TD off kickoff return in 2000 Superbowl, Ray taking the ball from Eddie George and C-Mack's TD off the missed field goal with Ray's block.

While it is not a top play, one of the most memorable plays from the 2000 Superbowl run was Goose crushing Gannon in the AFC Championship game. I just remember Goose just laying on top of Gannon and thinking, "He is not getting up from that." When Hoying came in, I knew we were going to the Superbowl.
    Last edited by somedumbguy; 06-03-2013 at 02:32 PM.

Not quite as important as the post season plays but one that did preserve a win...

Ray Lewis' perfect timing hitting Darren Sproles in the back field to end the game in San Diego in 2009!
    Everybody's talkin' at me; I don't hear a word they're saying; Only the echoes of my mind

I'm going where the sun keeps shining; Thru' the pouring rain; Going where the weather suits my clothes

Banking off of the North East winds; Sailing on a summer breeze; And skipping over the ocean like a stone

Blog Entries

Bart Scott smacking BR to the turf?

It's not top 10, but it's in the Honorable Mention list.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Honorable Mention - Vinnie Testaverde, 9 yard rush vs Oakland Raiders in 1996.

Some great plays here. This years playoffs were just littered with them. I know a lot of people get caught up in the "what have you done for me lately" frame of mind, and tend to pick the current over the historical. That said, I don't really think that is the case here. A lot of those plays were only-happens-in-the-movies level.

I remember one play that will never get much recognition, and probably happened numerous times. It was around the time I was just beginning to really understand what was happening and why in football, maybe 01-02.

Ogden was pass protecting against whoever the opposing DE was, when he noticed a safety coming on a delayed blitz. He proceeded to toss the DE out like yesterdays trash before cleaning the clock of the safety. Ah.. what I wouldn't give to have him back and in his prime.

Quote Originally Posted by OC Bob View Post
    Not quite as important as the post season plays but one that did preserve a win...

Ray Lewis' perfect timing hitting Darren Sproles in the back field to end the game in San Diego in 2009!
    Yeah I'll probably always remember this as one of, if not the, last signature play of 52's career. Shows why sometimes your brain is your most valuable asset on the field. I think that's what we will miss most about him this year. Even if he couldn't quite make the plays he use to, he was able to put his teammates in the position to make them.