Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Let's be super pessimistic and call it 15-20 lbs overweight instead of the weigh in reported 12. That's in June. He's clearly acknowledged it and has claimed to be working on it. Does anyone here doubt he can't lose most if not all of that by mid-August?

Hell, as a high schooler I would drop more than that much every year to go from football (145-155 lb FB/LB) to wrestling (119 class.) It's not hard to do if its mostly water and some tummy fat.

I'll save my concern for the third preseason game.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Blog Entries

Re: Courtney Upshaw's weight issues

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    Let's be super pessimistic and call it 15-20 lbs overweight instead of the weigh in reported 12. That's in June. He's clearly acknowledged it and has claimed to be working on it. Does anyone here doubt he can't lose most if not all of that by mid-August?

Hell, as a high schooler I would drop more than that much every year to go from football (145-155 lb FB/LB) to wrestling (119 class.) It's not hard to do if its mostly water and some tummy fat.

I'll save my concern for the third preseason game.
    ^^^THIS^^^

Upshaw has muscle, a lot of it. When men with a lot of muscle up their metabolism, the weight will melt off of him. Non-story. Done it myself.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    It's concerning...I don't see how anybody can't see it that way. It doesn't mean he'll be fat when the season starts, but to show up 2 years in a row significantly out of shape is the start of a really bad precedent...McKinnie gets absolutely crushed when he does it.

He needs to watch what he eats...I remember seeing a bunch of junk food and unhealthy stuff on his twitter timeline last year. Hopefully he gets it together and realizes the importance of diets before it's too late.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    McKinnie's been doing it his entire career.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

On the eating topic, truth be told, Ray Lewis didn't learn how to eat properly until he hooked up with Shannon Sharpe, and that wasn't until he started living with Sharpe, following his big incident. He'd already been in the league for a few years.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by RavensQB View Post
    2 years in a row???? Has Training camp started yet?
    Sure a crash diet two months before training camp is a great way to go in prepared. That will be effective.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    How do we know he wasnt working out? Did he say that? (serious question...I don't know)

You can work out all you want, but if you arent doing the right things it won't mean much.

Again, I agree with you in part, but there are a lot of things that could have played into this (stress eating, working out incorrectly, poor nutrition, etc).

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Yes. He did say that he has not been working out.

From Wilson:
    Upshaw explained his weight gain by saying he's been dealing with personal issues and wasn't working out at the Ravens' training complex on a regular basis this offseason.

Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/r...#ixzz2VFBQ6MdU

Come on...crash diet to lose 15 lbs in 2 months for a 23 year old who if he was 10% body fat would still be 265 solid? Not hardly. He has to tighten up on his diet a little, hit the weights, and really hit the cardio(like he should anyway) and he'll be fine. He has the testosterone level of a young bull. It won't be a "crash diet" and he said he wasn't working out at the Ravens facility, not necessarrily that he wasn't working out at all.

Upshaw told Aaron Wilson of the Baltimore Sun that he weighs about 285 pounds, well over last year’s playing weight, and that he hasn’t been able to work out as much as he’d like because he has had personal problems.

“I’ve got to drop a couple pounds and get ready for the season,” Upshaw said. “My offseason has been kind of hectic. I had a personal issue where I had to handle that. Right now, I’m trying to get back into football shape. I was back and forth between Alabama and Baltimore, just real personal issues that I had to handle. Just trying to drop a couple pounds and get ready for the season.”

This is what has everyone all concerned?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    Upshaw told Aaron Wilson of the Baltimore Sun that he weighs about 285 pounds, well over last year’s playing weight, and that he hasn’t been able to work out as much as he’d like because he has had personal problems.

“I’ve got to drop a couple pounds and get ready for the season,” Upshaw said. “My offseason has been kind of hectic. I had a personal issue where I had to handle that. Right now, I’m trying to get back into football shape. I was back and forth between Alabama and Baltimore, just real personal issues that I had to handle. Just trying to drop a couple pounds and get ready for the season.”

This is what has everyone all concerned?
    It's the offseason, what else do we have to worry about? :p

He doesn't look as bad as I thought (obviously this is in a big T-Shirt)

Blog Entries

Little pudge on the belly, but not too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    The Ravens are not hasty whatsoever in their personnel decisions.

If they were, Kindle would have been gone before the end of year 1. Same with Dan Cody and a slew of others. The Ravens understand that a lot of these players are just kids and the adjustment from college to the pro's is quick and relentless. As fans, we want to see every player (even the UDFAs) turn into all-pros immediately and we're quick to grab the torches and pitchforks when they don't. I agree that the weight issue is a problem and I was one of the ONLY people on this forum last year who wasn't ecstatic about Upshaw. Frankly, I'm still not. I think he is a good player, but I think he lacks explosiveness to be an every down player. Even if he dropped down into the low 260's, he still wouldn't be very fast or explosive. Right after the draft when watching him in shorts and a t-shirt I made the comparison that he is a defensive tackle stuck in a 6'2" 275lb body.

I really liked Derek Wolfe and he was who I was hoping they would take when they traded down into the 2nd. Mychal Kendricks was another one. Both of those guys would be a lot of fun to watch in this D.

Still though, Upshaw had a solid rookie year and was one of the higher rated run-defenders. He played an integral part of the SB Championship against Kaepernick and the option-o. Kruger barely played in the SB because Upshaw is so good at defending the run and setting the edge.
    I agree with this post. I was not a fan of the pick and that fact that he does not seem to be a professional yet is making like the pick even less. The guy is not the most explosive guy. He is not playing dline.

It is not losing weight that I am concerned with but rather how much muscle is he losing as well. It is easy to lost 15lbs. He is not working out so he is losing muscle. He is putting on bad weight. He will lose the weight but he will also not be as strong as he could be either. If he gained 15lbs because he was lifting and not really doing any cardio, I would not be as concerned. The guy hasn't been doing much of anything. That is fine if your job does not require you to be a finely tuned athlete. Look at the year Suggs had when he was out of shape. It was his worst year as a pro and he was in his prime as well.

Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    I agree with this post. I was not a fan of the pick and that fact that he does not seem to be a professional yet is making like the pick even less. The guy is not the most explosive guy. He is not playing dline.

It is not losing weight that I am concerned with but rather how much muscle is he losing as well. It is easy to lost 15lbs. He is not working out so he is losing muscle. He is putting on bad weight. He will lose the weight but he will also not be as strong as he could be either. If he gained 15lbs because he was lifting and not really doing any cardio, I would not be as concerned. The guy hasn't been doing much of anything. That is fine if your job does not require you to be a finely tuned athlete. Look at the year Suggs had when he was out of shape. It was his worst year as a pro and he was in his prime as well.
    We all can see you have an axe to grind with Upshaw. But damn bro how many times do you have to say the say thing????