Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Courtney Upshaw's weight issues

call jenny craig

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Some players, in general, just need to be bigger. Ngata tried to slim down and it backfired. Cody tried to slim down and it backfired. Ray tried to slim down and the injuries started piling up(Well, not that he was really big to begin with).

It's not for everybody.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Our defense isn't going to rise-and-fall on the play of Courtney Upshaw.
    Let's hope that this is the worst OS news that we have to absorb.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    Two years in a row equals lazy. I can't think of any personal reasons that would keep you from working out and eating healthy. The only excuse would be a health issue. If he had shown up in shape last year I would give him the benefit of the doubt. Two years in a row is a pattern.
    Fans can't dictate what is and what is not a personal issue. Supposed there is a close family member with a medical issue? We don't know what his personal issue and quite frankly it's none of our business. Unlike McKinney he's acting like a man and taking responsibility. He's not showing up late with a mysterious back injury. He's here at the "Voluntary" camps putting in his work. Check the stats. Upshaw had a much better year than Jarrett Johnson in San Diego. I bet you loved JJ. This thread featured, " when I played softball as a 23 year old" and " I saw him mention fast food on his twitter" Are you serious? The young man was solid last year and I expect him to improve in the years to come.

Blog Entries

When a player gets older, it is harder to keep the weight off. For Upshaw, 23, it should be "a piece of cake"...Hmmm, maybe I should rephrase that ... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by celticrob View Post
    Fans can't dictate what is and what is not a personal issue. Supposed there is a close family member with a medical issue? We don't know what his personal issue and quite frankly it's none of our business. Unlike McKinney he's acting like a man and taking responsibility. He's not showing up late with a mysterious back injury. He's here at the "Voluntary" camps putting in his work. Check the stats. Upshaw had a much better year than Jarrett Johnson in San Diego. I bet you loved JJ. This thread featured, " when I played softball as a 23 year old" and " I saw him mention fast food on his twitter" Are you serious? The young man was solid last year and I expect him to improve in the years to come.
    I'm with you. I don't see an issue for concern here. He's not 30 or 50 lbs. overweight. He's 10-15. He's young. Between now and training camp he'll probably have that weight off, and by the start of the season he'll be fine.

It might be concern as he gets older (the end of his rookie contract), but not now.

Quote Originally Posted by celticrob View Post
    Yeah, he's a big fatty!
    He sucks! I hated when he was collapsing the entire edge and sending runningbacks through the air when he was completely knocking them off their feet.
    I HATE THAT!!!
    And that hussle when he missed the tackle, got off the ground, ran after the runningback and caused the fumble in the super bowl, THAT WAS AWFUL!!!
    I don't know if I could handle any more of that kind of AWFUL PLAY.
    And with him being a member of the Ravens for around 14 months is just wearing on me something terrible!
    Just think, a player gets drafted, comes in from college and plays a 20 game season.
    As he begins his second year, he is still learning the ropes.
    But he helped bring in a championship.
    I am surely not going to jump the gun on this guy this early.
    He has produced so far on the field. That's the place he earns his money.
    I'm going to wait for him to go through training camp.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens44 View Post
    Yeah, he's a big fatty!
    He sucks! I hated when he was collapsing the entire edge and sending runningbacks through the air when he was completely knocking them off their feet.
    I HATE THAT!!!
    And that hussle when he missed the tackle, got off the ground, ran after the runningback and caused the fumble in the super bowl, THAT WAS AWFUL!!!
    I don't know if I could handle any more of that kind of AWFUL PLAY.
    And with him being a member of the Ravens for around 14 months is just wearing on me something terrible!
    Just think, a player gets drafted, comes in from college and plays a 20 game season.
    As he begins his second year, he is still learning the ropes.
    But he helped bring in a championship.
    I am surely not going to jump the gun on this guy this early.
    He has produced so far on the field. That's the place he earns his money.
    I'm going to wait for him to go through training camp.
    Wow.

You can always count on one of these types of posts any time someone posts or says something that isn't with purple shades on. Unless it's about Bryant McKinnie of course.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries
    Must be off season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Some players, in general, just need to be bigger. Ngata tried to slim down and it backfired. Cody tried to slim down and it backfired. Ray tried to slim down and the injuries started piling up(Well, not that he was really big to begin with).

It's not for everybody.
    Speaking of this, I wish we would stop forcing players to lose/gain weight. They tried to bulk up Kruger to play DE, and he never saw the field. Once he gets back to his normal playing weight he is one of the most productive situational pass rushers in the league. Each of the cases above also back fired. I believe they wanted Suggs to bulk up a few years back, but he took it about 10-15 pounds too far. He loses the weight, he's DPOTY.

Moral of the story: Let them do what they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Wow.

You can always count on one of these types of posts any time someone posts or says something that isn't with purple shades on. Unless it's about Bryant McKinnie of course.
    Naw, it's ok. I just believe that we shouldn't jump all over someone before he has proven to be a problem in any sense of the word.
    And in looking back, I see what he brought to the table for the Ravens last season when they said he was overweight then, too.
    I like the fact that as a young guy, he produced.
    And what he brought, was HIS game, collapsing the edge.
    Which was exactly what he did in college.
    I'm waiting to see whether he has learned anything from the veterans on getting into shape AFTER this second season.
    For a young college player to come right in and go through that 20 game grueling schedule...he did fine.
    I'm glad he was able to get some rest for his body and heal.
    I can't imagine what going through training camp, 4 preseason games, and then that 20 game season does to one's body after just coming out of college. I only know what a short college season did to mine.

Pretty Straightfoward

Baltimore Ravens @Ravens
    Harbs says Courtney Upshaw eats too much and the wrong foods but says he's playing well and will be in "fighting shape"