Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Courtney Upshaw's weight issues

I'm going to try and give him the benefit of the doubt with regards to his personal problems. I'm expecting him to step up next year and being overweight again is not helping. I would like to see him around 260-265. He's got a long way to go.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ng-overweight/

Blog Entries

Re: Courtney Upshaw's weight issues

I just hope he's realizing this is not good for his career. It sounds that way in the interview, but I hope it's really getting into his head. As it stands, he'll probably get down close to where he wants by end of camp, but if he shows up in shape next year, he can focus solely on improving his technique, and not just on the conditioning.

As I said before, Suggs used to show up out of shape. After he got his new deal, he showed up on time and in shape and suddenly...the light came on even brighter.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Very disappointing but I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt since he's listing a personal issue as one of the problems.

I just hope he realizes he's really putting his career at risk right now. Not only are the coaches going to be fed up at some point, but he's going to be more injury prone the more weight he carries.

Blog Entries

Personal issues are one thing, but i dont think that just excuses it either. If its handled now, Its time to put in the work and come to TC in shape, which there is plenty of time to do. If hes still struggling with this come TC, its going to come off as more of an excuse than anything. Time will tell.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

285 isn't good. He knows where he's supposed to be. No reason why he can't just hire a diet service to prepare all his meals. Half of Hollywood does that. If he uses food to get through personal issues he's going to have a difficult life.

Blog Entries

He was never a lightweight Slim Jim, even when he was drafted. I know that personal issues can throw a curve into your daily life, but he has to understand that he has a professional responsibility to his family, the fans, and especially himself. I'd hate to see such a talented young LBer eat his way out of the NFL... Bc
    P.S. - Upshaw should be following John Simon to the gym, or he will be following Simon onto the football field.

Two years in a row equals lazy. I can't think of any personal reasons that would keep you from working out and eating healthy. The only excuse would be a health issue. If he had shown up in shape last year I would give him the benefit of the doubt. Two years in a row is a pattern.

According to Steve Davis, he apparently tweets his frequent excursions to clubs, parties and the night life.

I predict that Upshaw will have a short lived career. Remember this is a guy that was a H.S. and College All American as well as a 2 time National and SB champion all in the last 5-6 years. And to think he probably accomplished all of this (at least his part) in less than optimal shape. Also I would've been ticked when the team signed Elvis for the simple fact that he's taking my spot. Apparently Up seems to be pretty happy about being a backup.

Bottom line is the kid does not know what hard work is and while he seems to be likable and stays out of trouble he doesn't seem to have the drive to sustain his success when times get tough.

Hope I am wrong.

:DeadHorse::DeadHorse::DeadHorse:

All of this for being 13LBS over last years playing weight.. BEFORE Training Camp.
    Last edited by RavensQB; 06-03-2013 at 11:17 AM.

We talk about these guys like they are mature grown men.

Physically they may be. In emotions and thought processes they are still kids with no real vision beyond tomorrow.

When Suggs finally 'grew up' is when he became DPOY - until then he was just a physically talented kid playing the game.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mmi16 View Post

Physically they may be. In emotions and thought processes they are still kids with no real vision beyond tomorrow.

When Suggs finally 'grew up' is when he became DPOY - until then he was just a physically talented kid playing the game.

:word

Upshaw is what...23?
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mmi16 View Post
    Physically they may be. In emotions and thought processes they are still kids with no real vision beyond tomorrow...
    I'll take the other side from you and wicked here :
    Upshaw was 23 in December 2012. So, what is the "age of consent" for a drivers license, going into military service, marriage license, drinking alcohol, voting, etc? You may be right about maturity, but I'll bet he cashed his paychecks on time... Bc