Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

OTA Notes: Flacco "Spotted" and the WR Games Begin!

Many will debate the significance of players who choose not to participate in the voluntary OTA’s. Arguments can and will be made to defend or criticize the players but from my perspective, it’s difficult to make excuses or provide logical reasoning why newcomers or those battling to earn a spot on the team would want to miss any opportunity to practice with teammates. Their motivations or lack thereof at the very least should be questioned.

Speaking of motivation, some who showed up appeared noticeably leaner and/or in better shape including: Bryant McKinnie; Jimmy Smith; Damien Berry; Nigel Carr and Bobby Rainey. One person who appeared to turn into a marsupial during the offseason and sported a hefty pouch around the mid-section was Courtney Upshaw.

Upshaw’s conditioning is rather disappointing. Last summer you may recall the former national champion from Alabama spent a lot of energy getting down to a playing weight in the neighborhood of 270. In 2012 he reported around the 290 mark. For the moment he seems to be at or beyond a rather sloppy 290.

Complete notes & observations HERE
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Blog Entries

Re: OTA Notes: Flacco "Spotted" and the WR Games Begin!

Disappointing about Upshaw. I'd hope Suggs could impart some lessons to him on how much showing up in shape can up your game (After holdout years when he was franchised, he showed up on time in shape in 2010 and had a HUGE bounce back year. Then, 2011...DPOY.

Also disappointing that Furstenburg is looking Sypniewski-ish. Bajema is a guy who could end up back here I guess.

Love hearing about Brandon Williams having big impact early on. He just tweeted out that he went to the facility on the off day to get some extra work in. I love hearing these types of things. Guys like him and Simon having the hunger early is going to be GREAT.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Disappointing about Upshaw. I'd hope Suggs could impart some lessons to him on how much showing up in shape can up your game (After holdout years when he was franchised, he showed up on time in shape in 2010 and had a HUGE bounce back year. Then, 2011...DPOY.

Also disappointing that Furstenburg is looking Sypniewski-ish. Bajema is a guy who could end up back here I guess.

Love hearing about Brandon Williams having big impact early on. He just tweeted out that he went to the facility on the off day to get some extra work in. I love hearing these types of things. Guys like him and Simon having the hunger early is going to be GREAT.
    Comparing Furstenburg to Sypniewski was not a knock. Quinn was a nice blocking tight end who developed into a decent pass catcher.
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Have not been hearing a lot about John Simon.

Huh?

I'd be thrilled if Furstenburg has a career like Sypnewski.

Are you expecting Antonio Gates?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    Comparing Furstenburg to Sypniewski was not a knock. Quinn was a nice blocking tight end who developed into a decent pass catcher.
    Yeah Sypniewski was a fantastic blocker and good enough pass catcher. If Furstenburg wants to make the team looking like Syp should be exactly what he is shooting for.

Veterans who are locks missing OTAs doesn't bother. It was a long season and many are still rehabbing injuries.

Upshaw must have a eating/weight problem, but at least he's there working. While his weight is a disappointing concern, I'm not going to overreact just yet since it's just the beginning of June. He can easily drop weight in that amount of time.

I'm excited about Williams. There's no waiting for him to build strength. Coaching will improve technique and he'll need to learn the playbook.

Blog Entries

Okay, I took that to mean he could catch a pass about as well as McKinnie could. It'd be ideal if we had a superb blocker who could also threaten a little as a target, that way D doesn't just assume he's a 6th OL.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfish View Post
    Veterans who are locks missing OTAs doesn't bother. It was a long season and many are still rehabbing injuries.

Upshaw must have a eating/weight problem, but at least he's there working. While his weight is a disappointing concern, I'm not going to overreact just yet since it's just the beginning of June. He can easily drop weight in that amount of time.

I'm excited about Williams. There's no waiting for him to build strength. Coaching will improve technique and he'll need to learn the playbook.
    Yeah I agree about the veterans. You'd like to see Canty and Spears there to get acclimated to their new defense, but they have both been around for awhile, and should be fine. Bernard Pierce not being here is a bit disappointing though. While his spot on the depth chart wouldn't change at all with him being here, he could at least show the coaches he is deserving of a bigger share of the carries.

Upshaw certainly is disappointing as well. This is the 2nd straight year he has came in overweight. He was fantastic against the run last year, but very poor rushing the passer. I was hoping he would come in a little lighter this year to improve on his speed and explosion. Maybe he can still improve playing at the same weight as last year, but I guess time will tell.

It's hard not to be excited about Williams, especially after Cody the last couple years. I'm hoping we run a bit more 4-3, because we should be able to more easily get our best 7 in the lineup that way. Suggs-Williams-Ngata-Dumervil up front with Upshaw-McClain/McClellan/Bynes-Brown behind them would be a very hard group to deal with, regardless of down and distance.

Okay, I took that to mean he could catch a pass about as well as McKinnie could. It'd be ideal if we had a superb blocker who could also threaten a little as a target, that way D doesn't just assume he's a 6th OL.
    I must be missing something...are you saying Syp couldn't catch? No he wasn't a big receiving threat due to being a limited athlete, but when the ball came to him, he caught it from what I remember.

And Fursty is a much better athlete.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

I'm very excited to see Brandon Williams in some live action when he can go all out. Imagine Williams lining up next to Ngata. Good luck moving them.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSpiderWebb View Post
    Yeah I agree about the veterans. You'd like to see Canty and Spears there to get acclimated to their new defense, but they have both been around for awhile, and should be fine. Bernard Pierce not being here is a bit disappointing though. While his spot on the depth chart wouldn't change at all with him being here, he could at least show the coaches he is deserving of a bigger share of the carries.

Upshaw certainly is disappointing as well. This is the 2nd straight year he has came in overweight. He was fantastic against the run last year, but very poor rushing the passer. I was hoping he would come in a little lighter this year to improve on his speed and explosion. Maybe he can still improve playing at the same weight as last year, but I guess time will tell.

It's hard not to be excited about Williams, especially after Cody the last couple years. I'm hoping we run a bit more 4-3, because we should be able to more easily get our best 7 in the lineup that way. Suggs-Williams-Ngata-Dumervil up front with Upshaw-McClain/McClellan/Bynes-Brown behind them would be a very hard group to deal with, regardless of down and distance.
    Why run a 4-3? Suggs and Dumervil are better in the 3-4. Best base is McPhee/Canty, Williams, Ngata. With Suggs and Dumervil manning the Olb spots. When in Passing situations it will probably Ngata and McPhee/Canty with Dumervil and Suggs rushing on the outside. The most exciting thing is the depth. It will keep everyone fresh.