Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 37 of 37
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,512


    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I'm an Apple user, so I normally buy stuff from the iTunes store.

    Probably not as inexpensive as some other music outlets, but I don't have to worry about anything malicious being attached to what I am downloading.
    Me too.

    A fried of mine was one of the unlucky 10,000 or so the "industry" sued for using illegal file sharing. She had to pay $7,500 when it was all said and done. She had 20,000+ songs on her PC when they nabbed her.

    I don't understand why people illegally download. Well, I do, but it's theft any way you cut it.

    If someone puts in the blood, sweat and tears into making music and I like it, I gladly ship them a few shekels for their efforts.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  2. #32
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Westminster - Raventown, MD!
    Posts
    13,099
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: RSR Music Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Oh, and anyone that is a fan of Fall Out Boy, their new album is really good too.
    I never liked Fall Out Boy, but I have to admit, that "My Songs Know What You Did In The Dark" song is pretty catchy. If I can ever figure out how to put together a fan video, I'm going to try to make a 2013 season primer set to that song.

    Still write them off as teen pop rock crap, but there are plenty of those bands where I am fine liking one song out of all their stuff (Blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while, right?)
    .
    .
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.


    Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!




  3. #33
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    13,453
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: RSR Music Thread

    Speaking of theft, there was also the case of the 12 yr old girl whose mom had to
    pay $3,000 for the tunes the girl stole and shared. The industry sued the little
    girl. The public was furious but the industry made a point.

    That 3 grand was down from about 9 grand and they lived in the projects in
    NY. The industry said that's the case where the parents have to make sure they know
    what their kids are doing on the computer but I think I lot of people sent money
    in to help her.

    There's also Pirate Bay where people down load thousands of torrents for movies.
    PB is always getting sued and they always bounce back. The danger with that site
    is there's tons of viruses. The more hits a torrent has the more chances of crashing
    your PC. I stole a movie once but didn't think it was theft because it was an oldie.

    A sign came up on the screen saying they were considering awards. I never did it again.
    There's millions of people stealing movies and tunes but they don't go after you until
    you share them big time. It's theft.


    Like I said above, I paid $300 when Itunes was brand new and download the tunes
    that cost 9 cents on the above links.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 06-10-2013 at 12:11 PM.




  4. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,512

    Re: RSR Music Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    I never liked Fall Out Boy, but I have to admit, that "My Songs Know What You Did In The Dark" song is pretty catchy. If I can ever figure out how to put together a fan video, I'm going to try to make a 2013 season primer set to that song.

    Still write them off as teen pop rock crap, but there are plenty of those bands where I am fine liking one song out of all their stuff (Blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while, right?)
    Agreed.

    I have two of their songs but they tip toe too close to the pop line for my taste.

    Not to say that all pop is bad though
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  5. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,883
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: RSR Music Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Me too.

    A fried of mine was one of the unlucky 10,000 or so the "industry" sued for using illegal file sharing. She had to pay $7,500 when it was all said and done. She had 20,000+ songs on her PC when they nabbed her.

    I don't understand why people illegally download. Well, I do, but it's theft any way you cut it.

    If someone puts in the blood, sweat and tears into making music and I like it, I gladly ship them a few shekels for their efforts.
    When I was in college I definitely poached some tunes off of share sites...I think there is some ambiguity there regarding what classifies as illegally downloading something vs uploading music you bought onto a hosting site so other people can basically download the music that you paid for. Technically, you're gifting the music...even though you're gifting it to lots of people you don't know. When I was in college, the whole Napster thing, Limewire, and sites like that were really popular and easy to use. None of us really understood what we were doing.

    However, now, I don't even mess with it. I'll stream stuff on Spotify, YouTube, etc, but if I want the music on my iPod I'll pony up the $$$ for it. Not worth dealing with those fines.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  6. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,883
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: RSR Music Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Speaking of theft, there was also the case of the 12 yr old girl whose mom had to
    pay $3,000 for the tunes the girl stole and shared. The industry sued the little
    girl. The public was furious but the industry made a point.

    That 3 grand was down from about 9 grand and they lived in the projects in
    NY. The industry said that's the case where the parents have to make sure they know
    what their kids are doing on the computer but I think I lot of people sent money
    in to help her.

    There's also Pirate Bay where people down load thousands of torrents for movies.
    PB is always getting sued and they always bounce back. The danger with that site
    is there's tons of viruses. The more hits a torrent has the more chances of crashing
    your PC. I stole a movie once but didn't think it was theft because it was an oldie.

    A sign came up on the screen saying they were considering awards. I never did it again.
    There's millions of people stealing movies and tunes but they don't go after you until
    you share them big time. It's theft.


    Like I said above, I paid $300 when Itunes was brand new and download the tunes
    that cost 9 cents on the above links.
    Speaking of which, one of the Pirate Bay owners is in today's www.thehackernews.com.

    Didn't get to read specifically what about though. Probably something relating to copyright infringement, etc. As per usual.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  7. #37

    Re: RSR Music Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    When I was in college I definitely poached some tunes off of share sites...I think there is some ambiguity there regarding what classifies as illegally downloading something vs uploading music you bought onto a hosting site so other people can basically download the music that you paid for. Technically, you're gifting the music...even though you're gifting it to lots of people you don't know. When I was in college, the whole Napster thing, Limewire, and sites like that were really popular and easy to use. None of us really understood what we were doing.

    However, now, I don't even mess with it. I'll stream stuff on Spotify, YouTube, etc, but if I want the music on my iPod I'll pony up the $$$ for it. Not worth dealing with those fines.
    Yes, this is one thing where I'm glad being in college put me at the leading edge. In College I had gigs upon gigs of music shared from "Direct Connect" and then Napster... I was a pre-napster file sharer, not many of us. Direct Connect had movies too,think around the time Gladiator wasnew in theatres and I had a perfect, DVD quality NPEG on a file sharing site... glad I stopped after college and before all of these websites started getting shut down, investigated and lawsuits flying around.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland