Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Anyone remember this guy? Former backup QB, Cullen Finnerty, that had brief stint with Ravens is missing

Quote Originally Posted by houstonravensfan View Post
    Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    Yes. I remember reading a story a while back about athletes that die while participating in triathlons. One would assume most deaths would occur later in the race. Actually, a significant portion occurred in the first mile of the first leg - swimming. Experts theorized that the adrenaline, stress, and in some cases panic of hitting the water in those first few minutes caused them to experience heart failure.
    Thanks. I thought you could, but I wasn't quite sure how much it affected the body. I have a friend who has them, but I never knew how serious that could get. That's awful for those who deal with it.

Re: Anyone remember this guy? Former backup QB, Cullen Finnerty, that had brief stint with Ravens is missing

I'd bet the farm that either Shrooms/Acid/LSD played a part in this.

Quote Originally Posted by ikethegreat View Post
    I'd bet the farm that either Shrooms/Acid/LSD played a part in this.
    If you're referring to your post, I agree 100%. A man died; take the day off from being a farkwit.
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

ike-
    Can we assume you weren't really around in the 60's/70's?

And if you ARE willing to make such a bet, please post how we can get in on it...

Very bazaar. The autopsy should reveal a cause of death.

Beau- I'm with you, there must be some history of mental health issues here. But mental health issues doesn't explain cause of death. There has to be some other reason for that.

Oh well, thoughts and prayers to family & friends.
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
    Very bazaar. The autopsy should reveal a cause of death.
    Multiple reports are saying the autopsy revealed nothing. Waiting on brain analysis. Very strange

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/co...icle-1.1357278

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

Just happened to hear on the tube this morning that there may be a connection to concussions that Finnerty reportedly had suffered during his football career. I'm not familiar with what happened when he played ball, but I'm certain that that could have had an impact on his ability to function "normally" v. having issues with paranoia or other mental/emotional stuff. Still, very sad...

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Multiple reports are saying the autopsy revealed nothing. Waiting on brain analysis. Very strange

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/co...icle-1.1357278
    .... more results could be available this week after an examination of the brain and other tests.
    I didn't think an autopsy was really completed until these "other tests" were completed, too...which I would assume include toxicology tests. Seems a bit premature for the story to state that the autopsy "did not solve" the cause of death.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    I didn't think an autopsy was really completed until these "other tests" were completed, too...which I would assume include toxicology tests. Seems a bit premature for the story to state that the autopsy "did not solve" the cause of death.
    I think they're just reporting that there were no wounds that could cause death, his heart was not too enlarged, etc. But the toxicology tests are the ones that may provide the answers and those results are not yet available.

From SportingNews....

An autopsy performed Wednesday ruled out homicide or a major injury, WZZM-TV in Grand Rapids reported. It showed that Finnerty had an enlarged heart, but the Kent County, Mich., medical examiner’s office said that the condition likely did not cause his death. Results of a toxicology exam were unlikely to be known for another two weeks.

Lake County, Mich., Sheriff Robert Hilts told reporters Wednesday that there were no signs of foul play, adding, “It looks like it might have been natural or medical reasons." He said he planned to continue investigating and could have more information Thursday.

A Facebook post Monday reporting Finnerty's disappearance read, in part: “Finnerty was having what his family described as an episode and say he was scared and wandered into the woods ... His family says he suffered several concussions in his career and are concerned that it may (have) triggered this episode.”
    If this becomes conclusively due to concussions I think we're very close to the point where there is going to be massive upheaval in how the game is played, whether it is rule changes, equipment changes, I don't know what.

Bernard Pollard may have been right.

Blog Entries

slippery slope for family members to say it may have triggered episodes... not sure if he's ever been seen or diagnosed by a doctor. Either way something killed him, be it drugs or whatever.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    From SportingNews....

If this becomes conclusively due to concussions I think we're very close to the point where there is going to be massive upheaval in how the game is played, whether it is rule changes, equipment changes, I don't know what.

Bernard Pollard may have been right.

As I have pointed out in several other threads, there are helmets available that significantly outperform a lot of the other helmets that players use. In fact, a lot of colleges are exclusively moving to these types of helmets (Riddell Revo and Revo Speed) because of the increased protection.

The NFL has taken their sweet time with making protective gear mandatory and correct me if I'm wrong, but it has been within the past 2 years that knee and thigh pads became mandatory and I'm not even sure if mouthpieces are mandatory (I think they are). However, there are a number of players that don't use multi-strap chin straps with a hard shell on the chin (Aaron Rogers comes to mind) and having a properly fitting helmet with a snug/secure chin strap that is correctly used is something that can assist in preventing head trauma.

Again, if the NFL really wants to make an impact, get rid of the legacy helmets altogether and make the best helmets available mandatory for every player on every team. It's not like they don't have the money to do so.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.