Salary Cap Updates: Rookie numbers plus the peculiar case of Ed Dickson

Rookie Cap Numbers

THE PECULIAR CASE OF TE ED DICKSON: Last week, upon their arrival at the team’s first mini-camp, several of the team’s Exclusive Rights Free Agents (ERFA) signed their ERFA tenders. That left Restricted Free Agent (RFA) TE Ed Dickson as the only ERFA or RFA who has still yet to sign his ERFA/RFA tender. In fact, Dickson, in lieu of signing his tender, signed a “participation agreement” in order to join his teammates on the practice field.

This situation is curious because the period during which Dickson (or any other RFA) could have signed an offer sheet with another team expired on April 19th. As such, Dickson presently has no leverage and is totally under the contractual control of the Ravens, so even if another team was interested (and there were no reports of any interest or visits during the RFA signing period), that ship has already sailed.

Further, it has to be patently obvious to Dickson (and his agent) that fellow TE Dennis Pitta is a higher priority for a contract extension, so using the unsigned tender as some sort of ploy for a contract extension would seem like an extremely futile endeavor.

So, what’s the hold up and what could possibly be achieved by not signing the tender, especially when Dickson didn’t withhold his services and did participate in last week’s mini-camp?

MORE HERE
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Blog Entries

Re: Salary Cap Updates: Rookie numbers plus the peculiar case of Ed Dickson

The only way I'd understand Dickson doing this is if he's privately asking to be traded. But, who's going to trade for him AND give him a bigger opportunity than us? He needs to have a big year this year to parlay that into a nice offer for next year, either from us as a #2 TE (or insurance if Pitta goes elsewhere), or from someone else.

Just very curious.

Nice info about the UDFAs. Originally, Furstenburg was thought to have the highest bonus, but it turns out it's Pericak got 5k more. Will be interesting to see which UDFAs make the team, I'd have to set my sights on Furstenburg, Pericak, Gaines, and Devey having the most chances of making the club. Furstenburg is setup well since there's only one other TE competing for the spot behind Dickson and Pitta...only way I don't see him making it is if they use that 3rd TE spot on JuiceCheck. Gaines and Devey probably are more likely IR or PSq candidates with McKinnie back on roster. If we only go with 8 OL, that would be McKinnie, Oher, KO, GG, Yanda as the locks, Jensen and Wagner are 2013 draft picks, and that leaves Shipley, Harewood, Reid all competing for basically one spot (I'd put Wagner as a safe bet, Jensen as bubble...so more like Jensen, Shipley, Harewood, Reid competing for two spots). I really like Gaines, but don't know much about Devey.

The interesting case there is Pericak. They gave him a pretty high signing bonus (18% of the total pool available), so I would guess the obviously have some hope for his development.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Update: Just learned that Dickson is switching agents and that could be the reason for the delay.
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Blog Entries

Maybe he's going with Jay-Z :ww:

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Maybe he's going with Jay-Z :ww:
    or Joe Linta

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    or Joe Linta

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    or Joe Linta
    Obviously a joke, but I don't think we will see any Ravens signing with him for awhile. He's kinda screwed other guys he represents like Gino Gradkowski. If we should attempt to sign him to a long term deal down the road, that is.

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

HR/Kyle--
    Welp, what with Ozzie & Co. being "dummies", it makes sense! ;)

As disturbing as this may sound, I woke up with Ed Dickson on my mind.
    Maybe this 'splains it.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Quote Originally Posted by TheSpiderWebb View Post
    I don't think we will see any Ravens signing with him for awhile. He's kinda screwed other guys he represents like Gino Gradkowski.
    How has Linta screwed Gradkowski and other guys he represents?

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    How has Linta screwed Gradkowski and other guys he represents?
    People are blowing that aspect WAY out of proportion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.