Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: Joe Linta Speaks

Quote Originally Posted by rd1z View Post
    That website looks like it was designed in 2003.
    It appears that it was also last updated in 2003.

Blog Entries

Alright, let's get a few things straight.

First off, in case you haven't figured out by the way the NFL and the Networks have maneuvered to cater to them, the VAST majority of NFL fans are indeed of the general- uninformed variety. So, yes, RaveninWoodlawn's statement does speak to the majority of fans. Since we're not in that group, it's almost like we don't want to acknowledge that group exists, but it does.

Second, this is a second-tier Agent, moving up to a first tier agent, while being unaccustomed to how first tier agents work. It's basically like a college coach who comes to the NFL and tries to do things the college way. He still feels that he has to speak for himself, for whatever reason. Whether it is to defend Joe or to keep his name in the papers, I don't really know.

I doubt that Ozzie cares. He knows the business.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

here's my thoughts on this...

THIS OFFSEASON, it was the dumbest move.
    Week 7 or 8 of last year, it looked like an incredibly smart move.

I can recall stating around the Broncos game that it seemed like we'd give Joe an "Alex Smith" contract, but would probably be looking to bring in a legit competition to push him. Basically, on the year, he had done okay, but wasn't taking his play to the level we needed. Then, in a matter of 6 games, he went from "just okay" to "fucking amazing".

If we're looking at the difference between 2012 and 2013 offers being 35 mil, that means we were talking 6 years, 85 mil in 2012. That's 14.16 mil per year. Around the Broncos game, I was probably thinking 3 years, 40 mil. That's 13.3 mil per year. If not for that superstar postseason, having a 6 year, 85 mil contract would maybe not look so smart.

I get why Linta is saying this, he wants to get his name out there and show future clients he's not afraid to be brash for them. But saying something like that is going to put a serious dent in future relations with clubs. I don't think Joe dumps him, but he should be concerned that these types of comments will 1) continue and 2) come back to bite them in 3 years, when he's either re-negotiating or talking with new clubs.

Another thought, throwing it out there...with his incredible postseason, would they have demanded a re-negotiation this year on the 2012 deal?
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

The interesting thing is, we will know a lot more on how much Joe is worth 6 games into the season

I really think that Cam was hindering his development, and that Joe will be significantly better post Cam. So the SB run was not just a lucky streak but an indicator of things to come...

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I agree with GOTA.

This smells of him showing off for potential clients.
    Agreed, but there's a little more to it, IMO.

The Ravens drew a line in the sand and Linta now feels vindicated. Good for him. He said something to that effect right after the SB (without the "dumb" part). Plus, FWIW, the Ravens FO didn't have a lot of respect for Linta and he and Ozzie butted heads, so I'm sure that has a lot o do with Linta's comments.

So, both sides gambled and the Ravens "lost" according to Linta (although, I'm not sure how the end result of a SB win can ever be considered a loss). But, Linta should be mindful that as early December, when Flacco was playing very poorly, that it very much looked like he had "lost". Good for Flacco to turn it around; good for the Ravens.

In the end though, these comments, the lack of necessity of them and the total lack of of class and professionalism displayed seem to verify the Ravens belief about Linta, IMO.

Last edited by B-more Ravor; 05-27-2013 at 10:26 AM.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    Agreed, but there's a little more to it, IMO.

The Ravens drew a line in the sand and Linta now feels vindicated. Good for him. He said something to that effect right after the SB (without the "dumb" part). Plus, FWIW, the Ravens FO didn't have a lot of respect for Linta and he and Ozzie butted heads, so I'm sure that has a lot o do with Linta's comments.

So, both sides gambled and the Ravens "lost" according to Linta (although, I'm not sure how the end result of a SB win can ever be considered a loss). But, Linta should be mindful that as early December, when Flacco was playing very poorly, that it very much looked like he had "lost". Good for Flacco to turn it around; good for the Ravens.

In the end though, these comments - and the lack of of class displayed - seem to verify the Ravens belief about Linta, IMO.
    Excellent post. I agree with all of it.

An old meme but kind of relevant.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369664433.044710.jpg

Unfortunately, I think the negotiations to restructure in 2016 are going to be really, really ugly.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    Unfortunately, I think the negotiations to restructure in 2016 are going to be really, really ugly.
    Agreed. If I'm Flacco, I think seriously about changing agents. There are others out there who can get him top dollar without this kind of BS.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Quote Originally Posted by JMUpurkfool View Post
    Joe's agent is a douche.
    Show me an agent who isn't? They are all parasites.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by steelerhater View Post
    Show me an agent who isn't? They are all parasites.
    I'm not sure if all are, but you aren't far off on that.

Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    Agreed. If I'm Flacco, I think seriously about changing agents. There are others out there who can get him top dollar without this kind of BS.
    There's always BS associated with agents. It's their job to take all the heat for their client.