Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    iggyman555 Guest

Joe Linta Speaks (Merged)

Joe Flacco's agent: 'No sympathy'

Joe Flacco's agent told USA Today Sports that the Baltimore Ravens made a dumb move by not signing the quarterback before last season.

Flacco signed a six-year, $120.6 million extension this offseason after helping the Ravens win the Super Bowl. He has been criticized by some Ravens fans for the contract after Baltimore purged its roster of several high-priced veterans after re-signing its franchise quarterback.

Agent Joe Linta, however, told USA Today he has "no sympathy" for the Ravens, who could have signed his client to a much-more cap-friendly contract last year.

He told the newspaper that the hangup in the talks was over "$1 million six years from now." Flacco ended up walking away from a reported five-year extension that would have averaged $16 million per season after the Ravens wouldn't budge.

"I've never in my life seen a dumber move. I guess people can say, 'Well, Joe was dumb, too.' It could have been [dumb], God forbid, if he got hurt. But $1 million to [Ravens owner] Steve Bisciotti six years from now? That's like 100 bucks for you or me today," he told USA Today.

The Ravens likely will be forced to try to restructure Flacco's contract before the 2016 season as his deal is scheduled to carry a $28.55 million cap figure that season.

"I'm not apologetic for the fact this is really a three-year deal, there's no way they can afford $29 million a couple of years from now,'' Linta told USA Today. "I'm not apologetic. They chose to walk away.''

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/93...dumb-move-2012

WOW biscuit was that cheap, i dont believe it!

Blog Entries

Re: Joe Linta Speaks

Wouldn't it have been better to have kept his mouth shut? He seemed like a bit of an asshole here....

Blog Entries

Not sure what he has to gain by insulting the Ravens front office but he sounds like a douche.

Joe rolled the dice and it worked; good for him. Could've gone either way.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Joe's agent is a douche.

Blog Entries

Yeah he comes across as being a total dbag for sure, Flacco should ring him and tell him to keep his trap shut.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Wouldn't it have been better to have kept his mouth shut? He seemed like a bit of an asshole here....
    Yes. A stupid asshole. While $1 million might be chump change to Bisciotti, his personal wallet wasn't the Ravens' main concern in those negotiations: the salary cap and what Flacco could/would bring to the table over the course of the contract were the main issues.

In hindsight, Newsome's decision was foolish. Flacco's gamble paid off, Newsome's didn't. I don't think anyone is happier he lost that bet than Newsome. But I don't think Newsome made a bad bet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Not sure what he has to gain by insulting the Ravens front office but he sounds like a douche.

Joe rolled the dice and it worked; good for him. Could've gone either way.
    :word

It was a gamble on both sides, would he be saying Joe was stupid for not taking last years contract if the Ravens fell apart and went 3-13 instead of winning the Super Bowl? It is a douche comment, but because of what he did for Joe he will have a long ass line at his office door for years to come from athletes entering into the NFL.

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!

this guy seems to open his mouth every few months so you don't forget about him.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bacchys View Post
    Yes. A stupid asshole. While $1 million might be chump change to Bisciotti, his personal wallet wasn't the Ravens' main concern in those negotiations: the salary cap and what Flacco could/would bring to the table over the course of the contract were the main issues.

In hindsight, Newsome's decision was foolish. Flacco's gamble paid off, Newsome's didn't. I don't think anyone is happier he lost that bet than Newsome. But I don't think Newsome made a bad bet.
    Exactly. How does this affect or have anything to do with Steve? Its about the salary cap, not Steve's personal wallet. What a dumbass.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    He's showing off to other prospective clients. Linta went from a guy who specialized in quirky players to a real power broker with this deal.

He would be wise to take lessons from Flacco about humility and being low keyed. I guess he just wanted to brag indirectly about how much more money he made because Ozzie waited. He hasn't won over any Raven fans with his comments and he should be grateful he has Flacco as a client. Bet the Raven FO stays clear of this douche.

This was the first big contract Linta negotiated. He's a second-tier agent, with a major inferiority complex. And, yes, he is an asshole.