Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries

Re: Boy Scouts End Ban on Openly Gay Members

Support the Scouts of Saint George.

That's the call going out to the new Catholic organization being suggested in wake of
    this latest BSA decision and thousands of Catholics are answering the call.

I posted above that 200,000 will leave the scouts as well as $30M from the church.

One of the comments in the link says they did it because of corporate pressure. Scout
    masters and administrators receive a pension after a certain number of years and
    corporate sponsors were threatening to pull the plug.

MOney talks. If the church pulls $30M the BSA can alway Obamasize into a federal
    organization.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-.../3024508/posts
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 05-28-2013 at 08:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    I posted above that 200,000 will leave the scouts as well as $30M from the church.
    That would be less than 8% of their members.

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Support the Scouts of Saint George.

That's the call going out to the new Catholic organization being formed in wake of
    this latest BSA decision and thousands of Catholics are answering the call.

If you know one of the comments they did it because of corporate pressure. Scout
    masters and administrators receive a pension after a certain number of years and
    corporate sponsors were threatening to pull the plug.

MOney talks. If the church pulls $30M the BSA can alway Obamasize into a federal
    organization.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-.../3024508/posts
    The BSA will do just fine. The GSA has had gay scouts for years and there's no problem with membership.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I think the reasoning is obvious. As John pointed out, you're asking a lot of churches to swallow this. It's best to tred lightly and take an incrimentalism approach rather than force feed a huge cultural shift down the throats of an entity that's historically resistant to change.

Go too far too fast and you're going to get more resistence.
    No i get that. Im saying those organizations are already allowing gay children in this case or being asked to by BCA. So whether they allow gay children or gay scout leaders, either way theyre allowing gays. why is a young gay ok but an older one not allowed? If they do believe Gay to be immoral, then allowing it in the first place is the pill to swallow, whether they lead the group or not seems like an odd stipulation to me. honestly if the church doesnt have issue with the kids they probably wont the leader, and if they do the kids then obviously the leader is out as well.
    Last edited by JAB1985; 05-28-2013 at 08:59 AM.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    No i get that. Im saying those organizations are already allowing gay children in this case or being asked to by BCA. So whether they allow gay children or gay scout leaders, either way theyre allowing gays. why is a young gay ok but an older one not allowed? If they do believe Gay to be immoral, then allowing it in the first place is the pill to swallow, whether they lead the group or not seems like an odd stipulation to me.
    Well, you are certainly correct in your logic. I think it goes to the fact that you are actually talking about 2 different sets of policies. The one in place for the members (the boys) and the one in place for the leaders (and the adults). They are different in a lot of areas, not just this one instance. The effort to change the one policy may be entirely different than the effort to change the other. Changing the language of the policy is easy. Figuring out how to train the leaders in enforcing it is a totally different matter (and a lot more effort). Maybe they want see what lessons they learn in changing the policy for the boys so that it can be applied to when they inevitably (in my opinion) change the policy for the leaders/adults in a few years? Maybe the want to ensure 100% of the effort is spent on ensuring that the policy for the boys is correctly implemented and enforced before they direct time and energy on the adults? I am just speculating, but there could be many valid reasons for their approach.

Regarding this comment: "If they do believe Gay to be immoral..."

Not sure who "they" are, but in my own personal experience with my son's troop, the sexual orientation of the boys or the leaders is just not a topic of discussion. Never. There may be gays scouts and/or leaders right now in his troop, and I suspect many/most/all of the parents would not care.

I am sure it may be different in other troops, in other communities, and at the BSA leadership level, but I can't speak to those.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    Well, you are certainly correct in your logic. I think it goes to the fact that you are actually talking about 2 different sets of policies. The one in place for the members (the boys) and the one in place for the leaders (and the adults). They are different in a lot of areas, not just this one instance. The effort to change the one policy may be entirely different than the effort to change the other. Changing the language of the policy is easy. Figuring out how to train the leaders in enforcing it is a totally different matter (and a lot more effort). Maybe they want see what lessons they learn in changing the policy for the boys so that it can be applied to when they inevitably (in my opinion) change the policy for the leaders/adults in a few years? Maybe the want to ensure 100% of the effort is spent on ensuring that the policy for the boys is correctly implemented and enforced before they direct time and energy on the adults? I am just speculating, but there could be many valid reasons for their approach.

Regarding this comment: "If they do believe Gay to be immoral..."

Not sure who "they" are, but in my own personal experience with my son's troop, the sexual orientation of the boys or the leaders is just not a topic of discussion. Never. There may be gays scouts and/or leaders right now in his troop, and I suspect many/most/all of the parents would not care.

I am sure it may be different in other troops, in other communities, and at the BSA leadership level, but I can't speak to those.
    "They" being the church hosting in this instance or I guess whoever is taking issue with the BSA changing policies. all valid points and i do believe it will eventually happen as well.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    That would be less than 8% of their members.
    I also posted 70% of the BSAs sponsorship comes from the church and most of that
    is from conservative churhes.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    The BSA will do just fine.
    It will always be there but will never be as fine as it was.

It isn't in Canada where they lost over 50% of their membership in just over 5 years
    after allowing gay scouts forcing camp closures, staff layoffs and huge budget cuts forcing them to change their name to Scouts Canada.

Looking north of the border for clues, then, we can expect that, with current membership at around 2.6 million, it’s more likely that roughly 1.5 million Boy Scouts and troop masters will walk.

Then again, we’re talking about “progressive” Canada. This is the good ol’ USA. With over 61 percent of Scouts, Scouters and parents opposing the homosexualization of Boy Scouts, and over 70 percent of U.S. Scout groups sponsored by churches and religious organizations, it’s not unreasonable to expect that defections will even exceed Canada's.

BSA can always federal size and change the name to Scouts America and still have a membership but no where near 2.6M.

Just saying ya, know.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 05-28-2013 at 04:27 PM.