Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Brian Urlacher retires after 13 seasons

Because the bar has been lowered so much in recent years, Urlacher will make it to the HOF, hopefully on his 2nd try. I think he was more of the Mike Curtis / Ted Hendricks competence level, i.e. very good, but not true HOF calibre. Playing in the NFL's 2nd largest city boosted his image, but not his abilities.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    I am in agreement with you. I always felt like he was overhyped a good bit. He was a solid player, but he guessed A LOT, and I watched him with an open mind.
    The Great White Hype!

*ducks*

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darksouleyez View Post
    When i read that from Urlacher on what he said about Lewis being the best at that position actually made me like this guy more. From what I hear he does a ton in the community. i don't know if the Bears fans would have been happy to hear him say Lewis was the best of all time considering the whole Dick Butkus debate...
    :word
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Because the bar has been lowered so much in recent years, Urlacher will make it to the HOF, hopefully on his 2nd try. I think he was more of the Mike Curtis / Ted Hendricks competence level, i.e. very good, but not true HOF calibre. Playing in the NFL's 2nd largest city boosted his image, but not his abilities.
    Wow. A Mista T post that I agree with 100%!!! :ww:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    I'm actually a little annoyed by his timing. Now either he waits a 6th year to go into the Hall because the committee doesn't want to send two guys at the same position from the same era in together, or he goes in with the man we all know was the GOAT and he has to share the spotlight.
    I wouldn't worry about it. There is no possible way that Urlacher would make it over Ray.

Blog Entries

Brian Urlacher has had his moments when it is easy to dislike him. His reputation away from the field was not one of a menace to society, really just a prick when he wanted to be. However, from what I gather, he did a lot for the community and it is clear that he did a lot for the organization. There are a lot of athletes like that though. Like people in general really, they have their prick moments, but also do their share of good.

It took years for that defense to fall off. So, I think the fact that Ray's defense took even longer to fall off overshadows him. Personally, I have always thought that he was 'somewhat' overhyped, but it will be difficult to deny him a place in Canton with his numbers.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Anyone read Ernie Accorsi's comments? One thing about Ernie is that he was a great judge of talent for decades. Accorsi isn't even sure if Urlacher is a Hall of Fame player and he is someone who would know a lot more than most.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...hall-of-famer/

“I think he’s a borderline Hall of Famer,” Accorsi said. “I don’t know that he’s a definite Hall of Famer. I think there is a host of them, like Willie Lanier, that were dominant players. He was good, but I wouldn’t put him in that level.”

Asked if he’d put the “guaranteed Hall of Famer” label on Urlacher, Accorsi said he wouldn’t. Instead, Accorsi said, Urlacher was a somewhat limited player who doesn’t deserve to be mentioned among the all-time greats.

“I definitely wouldn’t,” Accorsi said. “That’s my opinion. I don’t think he’s a guarantee. I mean, he may get in because he got a lot of publicity and he was a hard player. But his span that he covered was really restricted. Now a lot of those middle linebackers were in those days. They didn’t have three or four wide receivers so they stayed on the field for three downs. They might be off today. But, no, I certainly don’t have him in [Dick] Butkus or Ray Lewis [category]. And I don’t think he should be in there, really with [Joe] Schmidt and [Ray] Nitschke and those guys, either.”

Blog Entries

I don't know if any of you guys listened to the SVP and Russillio show today on ESPN radio but they made it very clear that Urlacher was THE better player above Ray. Yup if it's on an analyst show it has to be true. So I'm sorry to burst everyone's bubble but BU was better... so says ESPN

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Its kind of difficult to really judge the two, because although they both played MLB, they werent asked to do the same thing for most of their careers. Cover two vs our hybrid. hes dropping back into coverage often, which he did extremely well that doesnt always show up as stats if they dont throw his way. I think if you value a run stuffer, you probably think hes overrated. You respect he brought an ability to cover so well, hes right up there. however what maybe gets lost is while Lewis wasnt as good imo, when he was younger he was certainly not far outside that. He was a more complete player in their youths. stats dont tell the whole story, but id say these are somewhat inline with how i feel. great player, comparable but clearly not the GOAT.

Urlacher 7.34 T/g .228 S/g .121 INT/g .5 PD/g
    Lewis 8.99 T/g .182 S/g .136 INT/g .52 PD/g
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I don't know if any of you guys listened to the SVP and Russillio show today on ESPN radio but they made it very clear that Urlacher was THE better player above Ray. Yup if it's on an analyst show it has to be true. So I'm sorry to burst everyone's bubble but BU was better... so says ESPN
    So these guys have absolutely zero crdibilty then. Zero. There is no sane person who isn't a huge Bears fan who thinks that Urlacher is the better player of the 2.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    So these guys have absolutely zero crdibilty then. Zero. There is no sane person who isn't a huge Bears fan who thinks that Urlacher is the better player of the 2.
    They agreed that Urlacher could 'do things Ray couldn't do'. But they never expanded on what those things were.... I guess it's like these lists that get everybody up in arms. Gotta throw a little ridiculous claim once in a while to get the debate heated

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!