Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: What is wrong with Joe Namath.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    Rex already has a toe up his ass. The rest of the foot is coming in January.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    He really does need to put his best foot forward this year.

Years of putting his foot in his mouth are wearing thin on people.
    I agree. He needs to walk-the-walk.
    "On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the Draft

Settle down. John Harbaugh and Joe Flacco's Baltimore Ravens can beat any team, anywhere.

Having fun talking football and tech stuff on Twitter @BigPlayReceiver

Cool Re: What is wrong with Joe Namath.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Namath is over-rated.

I don't think he "Saved the AFL" by winning SB III, the merger had already happened, if that is what you meant. He certainly was part of forcing the merger, but that was before this game.
    Plus, he didn't win SB 3 as much as the Colts just plain lost it. People forget that the Colts threw 4 interceptions in the game but all anyone ever talks about is the interception off of the flea flicker to Jerry Hill just before the first half ended and Namath's passing as being the reasons the Colts lost.

That is a lie!

The real reasons were: (1) Jet's RB Snell running for around 140 yards to establish ball control (Colts stopped everyone's running game all year except for the Browns with Leroy Kelly gaining over 100 yards in the game) and (2) the other 3 interceptions in the game all occurring in the Jets' end zone. When was the last time that you saw a game where a team threw 3 interceptions in the end zone? Try almost never.

The Colts were moving the ball almost the entire game on the ground and through the air (Tom Matte had close to 120 yards rushing). However, they foolishly refused to run when they were closer to the end zone and it cost them the game!

Really, Snell was the most valuable player, not Namath but Joe had the bigger mouth and when he was picked as the All-Pro QB that year (and he didn't even complete 50% of his passes) thanks to the bias NY press, his legend was secured forever!

Namath was a joke then, and he's a pathetic joke now!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    So Your Majesty, are you saying he will get canned even if he wins the division?

Or that it's unlikely he will win the division?

If it's the later, I agree it's not likely, but there are teams every season that come out of nowhere.
    Come on Houston, to even think they'd stand a chance at winning the division.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"

Blog Entries

It all makes sense. They are stuck with Sanchez, who Rex was largely responsible to selecting and keeping out there when he stunk up the joint. Rex helped Tannebaum stroke Sanchez's ego with that raise.

The new GM is going to wait until Sanchez is off the books (Or close enough to it), to can him AND Rex, while bringing in his choice for Head Coach, next year, with a far superior QB class coming out.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Namath is over-rated.

I don't think he "Saved the AFL" by winning SB III, the merger had
    already happened, if that is what you meant. He certainly was part of forcing
    the merger, but that was before this game.
    Over-rated? He never went back to the SB or even the playoffs but he got a
    ring beating us. Bret Farve only has 1 ring. Manning only has 1 ring.

I said that he saved it when he signed with Jets instead of the NFL
    team that drafted him. Al Davis made sure the Jets got the rights because he
    wanted to play in NY. Pete Rozelle didnt' have that vision to give the rights to the
    NY Giants.

But, I read long ago there was a clause in the merger agreement
    that if the NFL won the first 3 Super Bowls, then the merger was
    voided.

Whatever, no Nameth, no AFL and the NFL wouldn't have passed
    baseball as the national past time.

Nameth had the quickest release in the game which is what beat the Colts and their
    mighty blitz and zone defense. Weeb told his receivers before the game just find the
    dead spots and Joe will hit you.

I read where Flacco's release was quicker this year and that contributed to his great
    success but no where near as quick as Joe's or Manning's.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 05-23-2013 at 02:14 PM.

Blog Entries

Actually, Joe has 2 rings including his Hall of Fame ring when he was
    inducted in 1985.

He was the first to pass 4,000 yds in a season, over 27,000 career yds and
    173 TDs. Made several all star games and a pro bowl.

That's hardly over-rated.

He signed for the un-heard of sum of $400,000 which the NFL refused to
    pay and became Broadway Joe. Pete Rozelle suspended him for his Bachelor's 3
    bar in NY where known underworld figures visited. Joe finally sold
    it to get back into the game. he almost quit.

Too bad for us he didn't.

Weeb was upset when Joe guaranteed their victory before the game. He said Shula
    will use that vs us. Joe said if the Colts need bulletin board material to beat us they're
    in bad shape. Weeb always listened to Johnny and Joe while Shula benched Unitas to
    make a point. What an ass.

http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/me...?player_id=161

Blog Entries

The most interesting thing about Namath's career was that he suffered a devastating knee injury his senior year. He was never the player in the NFL that he was in college because of it. He could really move at Alabama which at that time meant escapability and being very tough to tackle. Some have said that without that injury he would have been very similar to Steve Young in ability. Of course in the system he played in he just launched the ball down field so he never developed the accuracy of Young but it would have been interesting to see.
    He Who Dares.....Wins

With a 50% career completion rate, and something like 175 TD to 225 INTs, Namath was overrated as hell.
    He's in the HOF b/c he won a SB (a game in which he didn't even throw a frikkin TD) and worked in the media capital of the world.
    "On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the Draft

Settle down. John Harbaugh and Joe Flacco's Baltimore Ravens can beat any team, anywhere.

Having fun talking football and tech stuff on Twitter @BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

With a 50% career completion rate, and something like 175 TD to 225 INTs, Namath was overrated as hell.
    He's in the HOF b/c he won a SB (a game in which he didn't even throw a frikkin TD) and worked in the media capital of the world.

He got them close enough to score all those FGs. He kept hitting those
    dead spots. The Colts defense was the best ever at the time, and no
    one could go deep on them. Colts won 15 games. Nameth was sacked once by
    Dennis Gaubltaz-sp early in the game and if you look at the vid he looked like
    he was seeing stars.

That one hit almost knocked him out. He was also hit for no loss. There were tons
    of hits just after he released the ball. Most of those hits would be penalties today.

The short stuff was enough to win the game. He also picked on Lenny
    Lyles who had the virus. Weeb heard about it and attacked him.
    When Lenny came up to the line, Nameth would throw over him.

Finally Shula sent Curtis over to help out and Weeb attacked the
    other side, the strong side containing Bubba and Volk. Boozer
    ran around Bubba all day and hit Volk in what Nameth said was the
    hardest hit he ever saw in football. Volk almost died when he tried
    to swallow his tongue. The trainer had to hold it with his fingers.

The Jets moved on all short plays and that's all it took.

Unitas got the game's only TD in air and that was a short flair to Tom Matte
    who ran it in. Matte played his best game as a pro and still has the record for
    longest run in a SB. His record for most yardage was broken by Seattle.
    Former Colt Johnny Sample said Colts would have won if they had started Unitas
    in just the 2d half but Shula stuck with the choking Morrall.

Unitas always said he only need 1 more minute to win. Jerry Hill
    said John lost 80% off his fast ball. Nobody could hit Jimmy Orr
    who was open in the end zone the entire game. Unitas' balls in the
    4th qtr kept going over his head he was so rusty from not playing
    all year.

He got hit in the arm during a pre-season game vs Dallas.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 05-23-2013 at 02:51 PM.

I agree that Namath was overrated as hell.

In addition to terrible career numbers, his defense was constantly pissed at him for always being a turnover machine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Yup. Namath made the game a lot more popular. There had been big NFL stars with the Giants for years like Frank Gifford, Andy Robastelli , Sam Huff, YA Tittle, Charley Conerly but none of them were popular the way Micky Mantle or Joe DiMaggio was. Namath changed that. He was a counter culture player that younger fans could identify with. My mother still talks about Super Bowl III being the battle of the 50's crew cut vs. the 60's long haired freak. Namath was as big a star as professional football had ever had at the time.

That's why he's in the Hall of Fame. It's difficult because non-football factors are not supposed to be part of the equation. Take out the cultural stuff and Namath doesn't sniff the Hall. Just compare him to a contemporary QB Hall of Famer like Len Dawson or Fran Tarkenton and the numbers aren't even close. Namath was inducted for the wrong reasons.
    He Who Dares.....Wins

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Yup. Namath made the game a lot more popular. There had been big NFL stars with the Giants for years like Frank Gifford, Andy Robastelli , Sam Huff, YA Tittle, Charley Conerly but none of them were popular the way Micky Mantle or Joe DiMaggio was. Namath changed that. He was a counter culture player that younger fans could identify with. My mother still talks about Super Bowl III being the battle of the 50's crew cut vs. the 60's long haired freak. Namath was as big a star as professional football had ever had at the time.

That's why he's in the Hall of Fame. It's difficult because non-football factors are not supposed to be part of the equation. Take out the cultural stuff and Namath doesn't sniff the Hall. Just compare him to a contemporary QB Hall of Famer like Len Dawson or Fran Tarkenton and the numbers aren't even close. Namath was inducted for the wrong reasons.
    Dawson and Tarkenton were from Joe's era of the 60s. Fran was the
    original scrambler of Minn. He didnt win the Sb. Dawson beat Minn in SB 4 with
    pin point passing.

I never liked either one because Colts always beat them. They contained Fran's
    scrambling pretty well but I sure would have like to see Joe here after Unitas left.

To borrow a phrase from Mr. Uber, saying Nameth got into the Hall for the wrong
    reason is "sour grapes" from Baltimoreans. Hey, I hated him as much as the next
    Baltimorean but I respect him for what he did for football even though it came at
    our expense.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 05-23-2013 at 04:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    Say what you want but tell those youngsters he made his guarantee good and beat us for SB 3. He saved the AFL. Al Davis made sure he got to NY. Pete Rozelle should made the
    Giants sign him.

If only Flacco had his release. It was the quickest in football. Maybe ever.

BTW, that white fur coat looks like the one Ray had in the Cobalt Lounge in Atlanta.
    I talked with my dad about it before (he can't stand Namath), and he had said that Johnny Unitas didn't even play the entire game. Earl Morrall started and threw 3 picks until Unitas finally came in later.
    "A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football." - Ray Lewis

Cool Re: What is wrong with Joe Namath.

Thank you, BigPlay, a voice of reason, among all of the Bull- shit wilderness!

And like I said before, if it wasn't for Snell having success running the ball, the Jets would have been toast and that is even with the Colts throwing 4 interceptions!