Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Underweight/undersized linebackers and injury struggles.

Quote Originally Posted by justifythegame View Post
    It didn't happen because he put on weight in the NFL. He said he was the lightest he has ever been last year, which was 240 and he missed a lot of games.
    Correlation =/= Causation

Ray tore his triceps. I'd like to see a study that shows such an injury is caused by being underweight.

It didn't happen because he put on weight in the NFL. He said he was the lightest he has ever been last year, which was 240 and he missed a lot of games.

And lastly Brown is NOT 6"1 he is 6"0
    You really don't think his injuries had anything to do with his age? Give me a break. That injury was not caused by him being too light
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

According to 'draftcountdown.com' (I'm not saying this is the expert draft site), Arthur Brown is their 20th best prospect (projected OLB), and is listed @ 6' 3/8" 241 lbs, and has 201 tackles in his combined Jr/Sr seasons at Kansas State. "Undersized, but fast and quick and hard-hitting with fantastic range." Sounds like a Raven to me... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    ooo huge difference that 1 inch is going to make for an inside linebacker, because that really matters when you go to shed a block or make a tackle, that one inch extra is going to make you so much better.
    Precisely (minus the sarcasm). Even one of his scouting reports said his size will be an issue in the NFL when trying to shed blocks. Your weight helps your leverage when bringing down big players, forcing fumbles, or making hard hits and intimidating players. Only person I can really think of as a success is London Fletcher because he was 5"11 but he was 250lbs. Brown upped his weight by 10lbs before the combine, but i think he still has more to go since he is only 6"0.

Blog Entries

Precisely (minus the sarcasm). Even one of his scouting reports said his size will be an issue in the NFL when trying to shed blocks. Your weight helps your leverage when bringing down big players, forcing fumbles, or making hard hits and intimidating players. Only person I can really think of as a success is London Fletcher because he was 5"11 but he was 250lbs. Brown upped his weight by 10lbs before the combine, but i think he still has more to go since he is only 6"0.
    None of that makes any sense at all. His weight is good, you are arguing about his height, and he's 241 lbs, which is heavier than most of todays all pro ILBs. London Fletcher was also 5'10, and yes he was 250 lbs, he was very big for his height. There is basically zero benefits of being 1 inch taller being a LB, apart from maybe you get slightly better vision over the opposing Oline and may be able to see the QB more clearly.

Blog Entries

And lastly Brown is NOT 6"1 he is 6"0

Because being 37 years old and 16 seasons under his belt had nothing to do with that.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Stephen Tulloch.
    Mychal Kendricks.
    Zack Thomas.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

The days of 260lb LBs are gone but thats because theyre not asking to do the same job as often. if there is some correlation with size and injury, were all playing under the same rules and will all be affected evenly as cover LBs are becoming a premium. eventually well have safeties playing LBs at which point offenses will turn to power running again and the cycle will somewhat repeat. at least thats what i could see happening. that or flag football.

I do think if you have a large LB running straight into a RB 80% of the time, hell hold up better than a smaller guy under the same circumstances. I just dont think that plays into modern offenses as much. the game is speed, and guys running to the edges are typically tackles from the side or tripped up. Rarely do to forces meet head to head except short yardage.
    Last edited by JAB1985; 05-23-2013 at 01:21 PM.
    -JAB

Pressure up-front is where the money is made on defense.

No idea if it's true, but I suspect that as college programs continue to de-value the position, they are "making" many, fast H.S. ILBs into DEs and OLBs; and many, slow H.S. ILBs into DTs. But no matter what is actually happening out there, if you want longevity out of your "small" ILBs then put big DLs in front of them. Ngata for Ray here. Star for Luke down in CAR.

By the way, 2012 DROY, Luke Kuechly, will be 22 years old for the entire 2013 season and playoffs.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Cool Re: Underweight/undersized linebackers and injury struggles.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Less than 240lbs.

Clearly, he was too small.
    Actually, I think he was listed as 6 feet and just 230 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    The days of 260lb LBs are gone but thats because theyre not asking to do the same job as often. if there is some correlation with size and injury, were all playing under the same rules and will all be affected evenly as cover LBs are becoming a premium. eventually well have safeties playing LBs at which point offenses will turn to power running again and the cycle will somewhat repeat. at least thats what i could see happening. that or flag football.

I do think if you have a large LB running straight into a RB 80% of the time, hell hold up better than a smaller guy under the same circumstances. I just dont think that plays into modern offenses as much. the game is speed, and guys running to the edges are typically tackles from the side or tripped up. Rarely do to forces meet head to head except short yardage.
    I think you make some good points!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PalladinInNC View Post
    Actually, I think he was listed as 6 feet and just 230 lbs.
    Wrong. He measured 6003, 241 lbs exactly at the combine.