Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Underweight/undersized linebackers and injury struggles.

Its definitely an issue. I love the potential alot of these guys have because of their speed, but a lot of them have issues staying on the field. We have our own experience with Tavares Gooden.

Some other guys to note:

Jonathan Vilma - had lots of potential, and still played to that potential when he was on the field, but his injuries issues basically caused the Jets to say they had enough, cut him, and look for another future LB. Not as injury plagued on the Saints, but i thought he was smarter and didn't go for the harder hits either.

Jon Beason - guy has amazing quickness on the field and plays LB just as good as Willis imo, the only thing that sets him apart is the fact he hasn't been on the field half his career.

Bruce Carter - 6'3 240lbs, jones called him the fastest LB. He started his rookie year injured, he ended his 2nd year injured again.

not to say there aren't guys like Daryl Washington who has managed to stay healthy. But the fact Arthur Brown is out already isn't a good sign in terms of if he is going to be able to start for us long term. We should've drafted at least 2 ILBs.

Re: Underweight/undersized linebackers and injury struggles.

Quote Originally Posted by justifythegame View Post
    We should've drafted at least 2 ILBs.
    Easy to say, but who instead of whom?

If the Ravens drafted another ILB, who would it have been, and at what expense - after all, it is a zero sum game.

Blog Entries
    And then you have Bobby Wagner who is not an enormous guy who played all season.

Lawrence Timmons is under 240lbs.

Size and durability do not necessarily go hand-in-hand.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Last edited by Purple Maniac; 05-22-2013 at 06:51 PM.
    When Ray goes to Canton, I'm going too.

Blog Entries
    Two weeks have already gone by and it's just a procedure for a sports hernia

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

He will be back just in time for mini camp.
    When Ray goes to Canton, I'm going too.

Blog Entries

Bobby Wagner and Mychal Kendricks had no problems at that size last year. I'm really not worried about Brown.

Blog Entries

Unhappy Re: Underweight/undersized linebackers and injury struggles.

Beware boys, my sister-in-law had a similar injury in 1989, and hasn't worked since ... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Beware boys, my sister-in-law had a similar injury in 1989, and hasn't worked since ... Bc

LMAO Bc Your sister-in-law must be a PEACH

Blog Entries

There have been plenty of big guys that have washed out due to injuries. Some guys can hold up to the rigors of the NFL and some can't. I don't really think there is a direct correlation to size. Ray Lewis was considered an undersized linebacker coming out of Miami, and we all know how that story went.

I don't see how a sports hernia sustained during his college career correlates with his size. Hernias happen to everyone, including oversized corners like Jimmy Smith.

Torrey Smith played almost the entirety of his rookie season with a sports hernia, then had surgery to repair it at the end of February, and was good to go.

I don't want to make light of a surgery, because I haven't had the injury myself...but in an age of medicine where Terrell Suggs can play the same season after a partially-torn Achilles, Ray can play 12 weeks after tearing his tricep, a sports hernia surgery is as close to getting your tonsils out as a professional athlete gets.