Page 38 of 41 FirstFirst ... 283435363738394041 LastLast
Results 445 to 456 of 489

Thread: OTA Tidbits

  1. #445

    Re: OTA Tidbits



    Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    Devin Hester is a prime example of a guy who's efficiency as both a returner and a receiver was hampered by splitting his focus. I personally hope one of the young guns steps up as a receiver to move Jones down to the third spot where he'll be under less pressure to perform on the offense so he can continue to excel on STs.
    Jacoby Jones initially did very well as a returner for Houston. However, once they tried to make him a starting WR AND returner, he struggled.

    Here, again, he was asked to be a third WR and returner.

    He'll get the chance to show that it will be different this time if he is named a starter.
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"




  2. #446

    Re: OTA Tidbits

    http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/...8-446197d823d6

    You could see why the Ravens felt comfortable going with rookie Kyle Juszczyk over veteran Vonta Leach as a receiving threat. Juszczyk lined up in a variety of spots and exhibited nice hands. It appears he could be a plug-and-play target. But you can’t tell in a minicamp whether he’s going to be effective enough as a blocker. A judgment on that will have to wait until training camp, when the pads go on. Juszczyk can’t match Leach there, but he needs to be solid or the Ravens might have to sign a veteran blocker.
    Joe Flacco looked like the accomplished veteran he has become, very much in command. And there’s no doubt his favorite target is tight end Dennis Pitta. Pitching the ball to Pitta almost seems to be Flacco’s default mode now. The two are best friends off the field and have a keen rapport on it. You can’t manufacture that, but it would be nice to see Flacco develop the same caliber of rapport with another downfield target.
    Juan Castillo is having a big impact in his role as run game coordinator. He’s a major figure in the offensive line drills and can be seen (and heard) counseling the linemen throughout practice.


    There’s a lot of talk about the qualities that the various candidates to replace Anquan Boldin bring to the table. None are more explosive after the catch than David Reed. He hasn’t been mentioned as much as Doss, Jones and Deonte Thompson, but he’s one of the team’s best athletes and could be a playmaker.




  3. #447
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    27,365
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: OTA Tidbits

    You know, two off-seasons ago, David Reed was looking like he could emerge as a hell of a slot receiver.

    Injuries can derail a career big time.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  4. Re: OTA Tidbits

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    You know, two off-seasons ago, David Reed was looking like he could emerge as a hell of a slot receiver.

    Injuries can derail a career big time.
    I remember how pumped people were with him. I would love to see him emerge as a slot. I don't think we're going to get one solid guy to play the slot so we're going to need an assortment of guys to make big plays
    Formerly runrayrun27





  5. #449

    Re: OTA Tidbits

    Quote Originally Posted by runrayrun27 View Post
    I remember how pumped people were with him. I would love to see him emerge as a slot. I don't think we're going to get one solid guy to play the slot so we're going to need an assortment of guys to make big plays
    I don't give Reed much thought because he disappears when the season starts. He has flashed some explosiveness, but injuries have limited his play. This has to be a make it or break it year for him.

    We're going to find out about Doss. You can train and train to do something, but everyone is not going to react the same way under pressure. I used to train emergency procedures. Some folks forget everything they know when fear attacked them. It's a mental thing. Playing in the slot puts you into traffic so you need to be physical. Hopefully he's ready to go.




  6. #450

    Re: OTA Tidbits

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    You know, two off-seasons ago, David Reed was looking like he could emerge as a hell of a slot receiver.

    Injuries can derail a career big time.
    Some of us still think that. Good hands, quick, shifty, and despite injuries i dont think he has a reputation for being soft when it comes to playing the middle. If it werent for injury we could already have our 3rd/STR and never even picked up jacoby to begin with.

    I like how our WRs compliment each other, as well as having youth/depth within those. Torrey, Doss, Jacoby, Thompson, Reed, Streeter. doubt we go 7 so i have Williams out and Mellette on PS. Im completely confident in that group and i think all of them will see the field in various packages.
    -JAB




  7. Re: OTA Tidbits

    Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    I like how our WRs compliment each other, as well as having youth/depth within those. Torrey, Doss, Jacoby, Thompson, Reed, Streeter. doubt we go 7 so i have Williams out and Mellette on PS. Im completely confident in that group and i think all of them will see the field in various packages.
    One of the unnoticed battles will be Streeters vs Mellette IMO. I think Smith, Doss, Jacoby, Thompson and Reed (as long as he stays healthy) will be locks and the battle will be over the sixth spot.

    Does Streeter have any ST upside?
    Formerly runrayrun27





  8. #452

    Re: OTA Tidbits

    Quote Originally Posted by runrayrun27 View Post
    One of the unnoticed battles will be Streeters vs Mellette IMO. I think Smith, Doss, Jacoby, Thompson and Reed (as long as he stays healthy) will be locks and the battle will be over the sixth spot.

    Does Streeter have any ST upside?
    Probably less than Mellette, but im not sure of Mellettes history in that area. Streeter hasnt offered much in that area. He does offer a redzone threat however. My thinking is with Jones and a healthy Reed (and lesser extent Doss) they may feel safe with the ST contributors and want to add another weapon to the offense.
    -JAB




  9. Re: OTA Tidbits

    Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Probably less than Mellette, but im not sure of Mellettes history in that area. Streeter hasnt offered much in that area. He does offer a redzone threat however. My thinking is with Jones and a healthy Reed (and lesser extent Doss) they may feel safe with the ST contributors and want to add another weapon to the offense.
    That's true and Streeters size and speed are a huge upside. I just haven't heard anything but "still raw". It was only OTA's though so nothing to look too much into
    Formerly runrayrun27





  10. #454
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    809

    Re: OTA Tidbits

    Quote Originally Posted by runrayrun27 View Post
    I remember how pumped people were with [David Reed]. I would love to see him emerge as a slot. I don't think we're going to get one solid guy to play the slot so we're going to need an assortment of guys to make big plays
    Coming out I thought he had a great chance to be a bigger, better Derrick Mason. All indications coming out of camp suggest he looks incredibly explosive as an open field runner after the catch. If he stays healthy I think he could make a pretty big impact for us.

    He(and Deonte) are going to have to look significantly better than Doss though in order for them to surpass him on the depth chart. We are almost sure to give Doss the most opportunity, and I'm sure Jacoby will get the 3rd most snaps of any WR. So whoever doesn't win the competition between Doss, Thompson, Reed, Streeter and Melette is going to be hard pressed to find snaps.




  11. #455

    Re: OTA Tidbits

    Quote Originally Posted by runrayrun27 View Post
    One of the unnoticed battles will be Streeters vs Mellette IMO. I think Smith, Doss, Jacoby, Thompson and Reed (as long as he stays healthy) will be locks and the battle will be over the sixth spot.

    Does Streeter have any ST upside?
    I agree with this position. Obviously Smith and Jacoby are 100% locks, but Thompson, Doss, and Reed are all versatile and offer ST contributions, Thompson had his moments as a KR last year, Doss showed well on a few punt returns, and Reed is the team's best gunner and can also return kicks and punts. That makes those guys all locks as well at this point.

    I don't see either Streeter or Mellette offering ST value and whichever of the two of them wins the 6th WR spot is likely to be a game-day inactive most weeks. It's kind of a tough call between those two right now because quite honestly, judging from their college tape, neither one is anywhere close to ready to contribute. Mellette is probably ahead technically a little bit and I think he has a little more inherent route-running ability, but not much.

    Streeter just looked so stiff and sluggish getting in and out of his breaks last preseason that I didn't see a ton of upside as an NFL WR for him. Of course, now he's had a whole year to really polish and sharpen things up, and his roster status is really going to depend on how much he was able to do with the time he had. If he made strides, he might convince the team to hang onto him. Otherwise, I would put it 55/45 or so towards Mellette.




  12. #456
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    27,365
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: OTA Tidbits

    Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I agree with this position. Obviously Smith and Jacoby are 100% locks, but Thompson, Doss, and Reed are all versatile and offer ST contributions, Thompson had his moments as a KR last year, Doss showed well on a few punt returns, and Reed is the team's best gunner and can also return kicks and punts. That makes those guys all locks as well at this point.

    I don't see either Streeter or Mellette offering ST value and whichever of the two of them wins the 6th WR spot is likely to be a game-day inactive most weeks. It's kind of a tough call between those two right now because quite honestly, judging from their college tape, neither one is anywhere close to ready to contribute. Mellette is probably ahead technically a little bit and I think he has a little more inherent route-running ability, but not much.

    Streeter just looked so stiff and sluggish getting in and out of his breaks last preseason that I didn't see a ton of upside as an NFL WR for him. Of course, now he's had a whole year to really polish and sharpen things up, and his roster status is really going to depend on how much he was able to do with the time he had. If he made strides, he might convince the team to hang onto him. Otherwise, I would put it 55/45 or so towards Mellette.
    Well, truth is we really don't know what Mellette offers as a STs player. I will say - purely based on the tape I have seen - he is a lot more fluid than Streeter is.

    When I watch Streeter, I see a deep-route receiver. I don't see him physically being able to shake defenders with savvy route running, but I do think he could provide some value as a corner/jump-ball red zone threat and maybe a few 9-routes here and there.

    Mellette is a better route runner and has good hands. He just needs to get acclimated to the NFL level.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland