Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233 LastLast
Results 466 to 480 of 489

Thread: OTA Tidbits

  1. #466

    Re: OTA Tidbits



    Quote Originally Posted by TheSpiderWebb View Post
    He [David Reed] (and Deonte) are going to have to look significantly better than Doss though in order for them to surpass him on the depth chart. We are almost sure to give Doss the most opportunity
    Why? Didn't Ozzie say a couple weeks ago that if the season started now, Deonte would be the #2? How does that put Doss in front?




  2. #467
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,933
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post

    Why? Didn't Ozzie say a couple weeks ago that if the season started now, Deonte would be the #2? How does that put Doss in front?
    They also said KO would be their LT.

    As we saw last season, they will package certain players on the field. If Doss can stay healthy, he will probably be in line to be the #2/slot receiver with Thompson and Jacoby battling for playing time at the "Z" receiver spot.

    In all honesty though, I think the x-factor in all of this could be Ed Dickson. He has the size and speed to be a mismatch when split out or coming off the line. That allows them to move Pitta to the slot. KJ is also a factor here as well since he is also an accomplished receiver.

    Truth be told, even if Doss or Thompson or Jacoby or Reed look outstanding, they may be hard pressed to get a lot of looks when you consider that Caldwell could run a lot of dual TE sets.

    Joe's top two targets will be Pitta and Torrey.

    Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  3. #468
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    17,952
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: OTA Tidbits

    Pat Kirwan sure is skeptical of the Ravens offense right now. He just doesn't see them replacing Boldin's catches with what's currently on the roster. It's a fair criticism but let's get into August before we go there...
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!




  4. #469

    Re: OTA Tidbits

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Pat Kirwan sure is skeptical of the Ravens offense right now. He just doesn't see them replacing Boldin's catches with what's currently on the roster. It's a fair criticism but let's get into August before we go there...
    As of right now (aside from the obvious question marks involving starting rookies) it's the only criticism you can really give this team. I can't remember another offseason where we have had such few question marks
    Formerly runrayrun27

    Twitter: @cjacks17





  5. #470
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    San Dimas, CA
    Posts
    7,805

    Re: OTA Tidbits

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    In all honesty though, I think the x-factor in all of this could be Ed Dickson. He has the size and speed to be a mismatch when split out or coming off the line. That allows them to move Pitta to the slot. KJ is also a factor here as well since he is also an accomplished receiver.
    This is a real possibility. The 49ers have been toying with Vernon Davis as a wideout during their OTAs. It's been reported that he didn't even work out with the TEs during their last mini-camp, but exclusively with the WRs. It's the new wave of NFL offenses - trying to create match-up problems for a defense by using the TE in nontraditional ways.




  6. #471
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    17,952
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by runrayrun27 View Post
    As of right now (aside from the obvious question marks involving starting rookies) it's the only criticism you can really give this team. I can't remember another offseason where we have had such few question marks
    Also lost the best fullback in the game and counting on rookies to replace two of the greatest Raven defenders ever. There are some areas that can be scrutinized.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!




  7. #472
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,933
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: OTA Tidbits

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Pat Kirwan sure is skeptical of the Ravens offense right now. He just doesn't see them replacing Boldin's catches with what's currently on the roster. It's a fair criticism but let's get into August before we go there...
    Absolutely a fair question.

    Someone will step up though. I mean, Boldin had I think 64 or 65 receptions last year and Torrey had in the high 40's. There is no reason to think that they can't divide up 65 receptions among who is still there.

    Pitta had 61, but I could see him even getting into the 70-80 range. Torrey should easily be able to jump from the high 40's into the 70's or 80's...maybe even more. Rice has shown that he can be a 60+ reception back. So, right there you've got 3 guys who can really pick up the slack of losing Boldin.

    For schnitzengiggles, let's say that Torrey gets 80 receptions (approximately 30 more than last year), so at that point you've only got 35 receptions left to divide up. Dickson could get 10-15 more receptions on the year. KJ could easily handle 10 receptions on the year. Pitta could probably get another 10-15 receptions and at this point you've already met and/or exceeded last year. This isn't even factoring in Jacoby, Thompson, Doss, Reed, Pierce, and (hopefully) Furstenburg.

    Replacing what Boldin did in the playoffs is not going to be easy at all. However, we aren't talking about a guy who had 100+ receptions, 10 TD's and 1000+ yards. Maybe that had more to do with Cam than we thought (certainly seems like it base on the playoffs); however, I definitely think that guys like Pitta and Dickson can help alleviate that loss.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  8. #473
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,933
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: OTA Tidbits

    Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    This is a real possibility. The 49ers have been toying with Vernon Davis as a wideout during their OTAs. It's been reported that he didn't even work out with the TEs during their last mini-camp, but exclusively with the WRs. It's the new wave of NFL offenses - trying to create match-up problems for a defense by using the TE in nontraditional ways.
    I agree. The funny thing is we all say how athletic Dickson is for his size, but Pitta matched a lot of his combine numbers. Both are pretty damn athletic.

    I'm really hoping Furstenburg makes this team too because he is another pretty athletic TE that was horribly under-utilized at MD.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  9. #474

    Re: OTA Tidbits

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Absolutely a fair question.

    Someone will step up though. I mean, Boldin had I think 64 or 65 receptions last year and Torrey had in the high 40's. There is no reason to think that they can't divide up 65 receptions among who is still there.

    Pitta had 61, but I could see him even getting into the 70-80 range. Torrey should easily be able to jump from the high 40's into the 70's or 80's...maybe even more. Rice has shown that he can be a 60+ reception back. So, right there you've got 3 guys who can really pick up the slack of losing Boldin.

    For schnitzengiggles, let's say that Torrey gets 80 receptions (approximately 30 more than last year), so at that point you've only got 35 receptions left to divide up. Dickson could get 10-15 more receptions on the year. KJ could easily handle 10 receptions on the year. Pitta could probably get another 10-15 receptions and at this point you've already met and/or exceeded last year. This isn't even factoring in Jacoby, Thompson, Doss, Reed, Pierce, and (hopefully) Furstenburg.

    Replacing what Boldin did in the playoffs is not going to be easy at all. However, we aren't talking about a guy who had 100+ receptions, 10 TD's and 1000+ yards. Maybe that had more to do with Cam than we thought (certainly seems like it base on the playoffs); however, I definitely think that guys like Pitta and Dickson can help alleviate that loss.
    Agreed on all parts. Were not replacing a perrennial probowler. His production in the playoffs was exceptional, but how much was joe and how much was caldwell? I understand theres questions, as there should be with the unproven but i think theres a lot to be excited about as well. I think the feeling with boldin was addition by subtraction. I have a feeling they felt he was holding back the rest from what theyve seen and feel confident. Whether its doss, thompson, reed etc. Just an opinion but it goes inline with their actions.
    -JAB




  10. #475
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Balmer Merlin Hon
    Posts
    3,690
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: OTA Tidbits

    IMO much of the skepticism over the Boldin-less Ravens is less about catch numbers than about who's going to step up now. I look at the Gil Brandt quote in wicked's sig--
    When it comes to quarterbacks, don't pay attention to stats; pay attention to guys who make crucial plays at crucial times
    --& I think that might apply to WRs as well.

    In the playoffs Q went up & made the tough catches to put points on the board & keep drives moving. Doss--the most obvious candidate to take his place--muffed a couple of tough catches. Not routine catches--but still, someone has to step up, & as of the moment the jury is out on who might, or even if there's anyone on the roster who could.

    I feel strongly that one or more of the "kids" is going to step up & the offense will ignite, but I wear ultraviolet specs--& I can't fault the pundits for their skepticism. At least not unless & until they start ignoring evidence to the contrary.




  11. #476

    Re: OTA Tidbits

    Ravens will develop their own Cruz this year with who is already on the team. I have faith in the Raven coaches, the NFL will get to see the Ravens offense come alive with Caldwell and Flacco . Not worried about stats, just wins.




  12. #477

    Re: OTA Tidbits

    I believe it's commonly overlooked that Joe dropped in some nice passes for Boldin to grab. I've watched those catches several time and although Boldin deserves credit, I don't think Joe got his due for fitting passes into tight windows.
    Last edited by Bigfish; 06-19-2013 at 08:57 PM.




  13. #478
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    17,952
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfish View Post
    I believe it's commonly overlooked that Joe dropped in some nice passes for Boldin to grab. I've watched those catches several time and although Boldin deserves credit, I don't think Joe got his due for fitting passes into tight windows.
    No doubt. I personally think that playoff run was way more about Flacco than Caldwell. I give Caldwell credit for giving Joe the nod to run the offense without restrictions but it was Joe who stepped up and did it.
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!




  14. #479
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    San Dimas, CA
    Posts
    7,805

    Re: OTA Tidbits

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I'm really hoping Furstenburg makes this team too because he is another pretty athletic TE that was horribly under-utilized at MD.
    It's pretty hard for any receiver to be utilized properly when one QB transfers, three more go down with ACL tears, one has a foot injury end his season, so a scout team linebacker & true freshman ends up the guy throwing you the ball.




  15. #480

    Re: OTA Tidbits

    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfish View Post
    I believe it's commonly overlooked that Joe dropped in some nice passes for Boldin to grab. I've watched those catches several time and although Boldin deserves credit, I don't think Joe got his due for fitting passes into tight windows.
    He absolutely doesn't get credit for the passes, the general consensus amongst fans and media is that Joe's success was mostly due to him being "bailed" by Q and Torrey; Jump Ball Joe they call him.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland