Thread: OTA Tidbits

Re: OTA Tidbits

I just hope we see more of this

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    I just hope we see more of this

Ahhh...I remember that play.
    Should have been a damn flag on Brown.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Aaron Wilsons observations

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/r...4.photogallery

It's been a long time since the Ravens had bookend pass rushers like Terrell Suggs, who's noticeable leaner and quicker than a year ago when he struggled with injuries, and newcomer Elvis Dumervil (pictured). Dumervil is all business, all the time, hustling into the backfield. With his shorter, powerful frame, he creates a lot of leverage against tall offensive tackles.
    Rookie nose guard Brandon Williams is massive at 6-1, 335 pounds, and he isn't fat. Williams has a lot of athleticism for a player of his stocky dimensions. The Ravens are thrilled with their third-round draft pick so far after discovering him at Division II Missouri Southern.
    Rookie first-round safety Matt Elam hasn't given the Ravens any buyer's remorse.

Although Elam is known primarily for his hard-hitting approach, he also has range to operate as a center fielder and shouldn't be typecast as a box safety.
    The Ravens like what they've seen from Smith, who has dropped 10 pounds to get down to 200 pounds after having sports hernia surgery last season. He's moving around much better and playing with more confidence than his first two seasons when he appeared unsure of himself at times.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Well, you look at the whole body of work that Doss has put forth, and there isn't much of it and what is there has been bad as often or more often than it's been good. You are talking about a guy whose 2 year stat line is 7 catches for 123 yards with 1 TD and, by my recollection, 4 or more drops. When he's been on the field, he plays soft, doesn't run crisp routes, and lacks explosion.

I understand he's been hurt a lot but that's another negative, not a positive. I liked Doss when we picked him, but I've soured on him some after seeing him rarely hit the field and not play well when he's been on it. Obviously you can always play the "we still haven't seen enough to say" card, and certainly the coaches are putting him out there for a reason, but everything is relative. Now Doss is fighting for his life against guys that are just as hungry.

You've got Deonte Thompson improving and catching the coaches' eyes, and he looked better than Doss when he played last year as a rookie UDFA. You've got Tommy Streeter improving, Aaron Mellette looking pretty sharp, and the possibility of a FA signing or trade on the horizon as well. I want Doss to succeed and the competition is going to be a good thing for everybody, but I don't think anything is going to be handed to him; far from it.

I do agree that Jacoby is best as a #3. I really do NOT like the idea of him being an every-down #2 WR and no matter what happens the Ravens need to prevent that. That's not me knocking Jacoby as a player, he has a role and needs to stick to it. Barring any acquisitions, I think the Ravens will open with Torrey and DT as starters, with Jacoby and Doss splitting #3 reps, David Reed as the ST only guy, and the last spot will be open to one of Streeter, Mellette, and the other guys. I think Mellette might be the dark horse here and if he catches on quick he could rise up.
    thats kind of my point. too early to be definitive. Im not writing him off because of last season. Im also not claiming hell lead the team in receptions or yards. I do think he has the skillset to warrant PT as the 2nd or 3rd. Im not sure comparing Thompsons PT and Doss' is fair either. Doss was ahead in the depth chart and played against starters. the only time Thompson saw the field was in garbage time of a blowout and meaningless game both against the bengals. Not much different than a preseason game for Thompson, which Doss has excelled in as well. If its too early for Doss, its certainly to early to declare Thompson anything definitive either. Both are full of potential and have shown flashes of ability.
    -JAB

Either way its probably the weakest, yet most competitive position on the squad. Too many times Torreys was schemed out of entire games last season, recording only one or two catches in 9 of 19 games not incl the Cinci one, courtesy of a member on another board.

If that continues to happen this season we will be in trouble. Caldwell has to find ways of getting the ball into his, pitta and rices hands in space, which Cameron wasn't terribly good at

iggyman555 Guest

Ravens outside linebacker Adrian Hamilton went down with an injury after landing awkwardly and was on the ground for several minutes in obvious pain.

After being attended to by trainers who were concentrating on his upper body, Hamilton eventually walked off under his own power.

He was holding his lower back with his right hand.

The Ravens practiced indoors due to inclement weather today during the final day of a mandatory minicamp.

Meanwhile, Pro Bowl defensive tackle Haloti Ngata remains sidelined as he works his way back from a sprained left knee suffered during the Super Bowl.

Ngata isn't doing much in the way of activity at practice today after working on the side on conditioning in previous workouts.

Tight end Ed Dickson and safety Omar Brown aren't practicing due to undisclosed injuries.

Also not practicing: offensive guard Marshal Yanda (shoulder surgery), defensive lineman Kapron Lewis-Moore (knee), nose guard Terrence Cody (hip surgery) and offensive guard Antoine McClain (foot surgery).

Inside linebacker Arthur Brown (sports hernia surgery) has been working into full-team drills.

Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/r...#ixzz2W7Ffguut

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    thats kind of my point. too early to be definitive. Im not writing him off because of last season. Im also not claiming hell lead the team in receptions or yards. I do think he has the skillset to warrant PT as the 2nd or 3rd. Im not sure comparing Thompsons PT and Doss' is fair either. Doss was ahead in the depth chart and played against starters. the only time Thompson saw the field was in garbage time of a blowout and meaningless game both against the bengals. Not much different than a preseason game for Thompson, which Doss has excelled in as well. If its too early for Doss, its certainly to early to declare Thompson anything definitive either. Both are full of potential and have shown flashes of ability.
    Not to argue the point because both sides are making good one's, but Thompson was very good with the ball in his hands last year as the PR/KR until he was injured. He is a crisp route runner and has very good speed. He and Torrey are close in speed and he is a better route runner since day 1. Doss is going to have big work to do to surpass Thompson this year, IMHO.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    Not to argue the point because both sides are making good one's, but Thompson was very good with the ball in his hands last year as the PR/KR until he was injured. He is a crisp route runner and has very good speed. He and Torrey are close in speed and he is a better route runner since day 1. Doss is going to have big work to do to surpass Thompson this year, IMHO.
    Doss' biggest issues are mental lapses. Between practice where he excels and games where hes inconsistent. PT can really help with that. He runs good routes, has good hands also. I think Thompsons ST play is a factor for making the roster, but not much as far as WR PT battle. Doss also was a great ST returner in college. Even last year he returned 4 punts one of which went 40. I think he surprises some and lives up to others expectations this year. Im not knocking Thompson either. I think hes got a lot to like. better route runner than expected. I like both. I just think Doss is being judged by too little of a sample to write him off.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    Deonte Thomapson baby! Just watch what happens with him.
    would be awesome for him to have a breakout year

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

I know these updates from people like Wilson have purple glasses on, but my god are they ever making me excited for the season
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by runrayrun27 View Post
    I know these updates from people like Wilson have purple glasses on, but my god are they ever making me excited for the season
    Aye. I remember after the first game of last season, the ravens were number one in the power rankings because the offense looked so dangerous in that game,so I take anything g before the first half of the season with a grain of salt, but still... It all sounds good so far!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Van Cleef View Post
    Aye. I remember after the first game of last season, the ravens were number one in the power rankings because the offense looked so dangerous in that game,so I take anything g before the first half of the season with a grain of salt, but still... It all sounds good so far!
    Yeah that's what I'm thinking as well, but the news on Suggs seems pretty real. It is obviously evident he's in amazing shape and hearing that Doom is working hard is great news. Those two coming from both sides would make any QB shit their pants
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB