Page 18 of 41 FirstFirst ... 1617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: OTA Tidbits

Blog Entries

Re: OTA Tidbits

Nigel Carr could even make the starting team, you never know... He seems to be killing it in camp, and had an impressive camp last year too. He seems to be a Harbaugh type guy too, overcoming adversity to make the NFL.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    If he does play well this year, I hope the Ravens lock him up to a long term deal before he hits his contract year, like they did with Webb. Jimmy Smith is going to be the type of player (if he has a big year) that will command top tier money because of his size, age, and how that type of corner will be heavily coveted by teams because of his size and skillset that fit in perfectly with today's NFL. The Ravens could avoid the head ache and pay him early, and let Graham walk (as much as I like him, he's likely going to want big money if he has another stellar year). I know that would be a lot of money tied into our CBs, but in today's league its all about pass rushers and corners.
    Well, Chykie won't be much money. Graham won't be here after this season and Webb is locked up for a while. So, realistically because they just drafted Elam and signed Huff to a nice deal, they could get away with extending Jimmy. I hope they do.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

BTW is Nigel Carr more of an athletic coverage type LB, or a run thumper? The website lists him at 232 lbs, so that suggests he's more of a sideline guy, but all the reports I see of him suggest that he's a stout run defender. Anyone know where his strength lies? It would be cool to have two athletic guys in the middle who can cover adequately while being able to stop the run. That's what today's NFL is all about. You need two good corners, two good pass rushers, and athletic LBs who can cover the field.

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

leach-
    I really do agree with your thoughts on Smith/long term contract, etc., but I also am reminded of some of the results after a guy signs a sweet deal where his "passion" (or whatever you want to call it) begins to erode over the term. Think of how many guys we hear or see that finally "show their potential" in a contract year, then don't play at the level that we expected. I understand that's a little different than a relatively new guy like Smith where you propose locking him up "early", and the bet in your situation is that Smith will continue to improve and perform at a high quality level. I think the issue for the FO is, how much is enough to lock in Smith -- like Louie's old conflict on "Taxi" -- "Hhmmm, is 3 years at $2M enough...no, no...he needs more, maybe $3M....Wait! That's too much...but he may sign for $1.5M...but what about his agent...."and on and on and...

I'm sure Ozzie et al struggle with this all the time, but again, I agree that getting Smith under their belts gives the Ravens a lot more flexibilty with the overall CAP a couple seasons down the pike.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    My 53, as of right now, is this:

QB - Flacco, Taylor
    RB - Rice, Pierce, Allen
    FB - Leach, KJ
    WR - T. Smith, J. Jones, Doss, Thompson, Reed, L. Williams
    TE - Pitta, Dickson, Furstenburg
    OT - McKinnie, Oher, Wagner
    OG - Yanda, KO, Jah, Jensen
    OC - Gradkowski

DL - Ngata, Canty, Spears, A. Jones, McPhee, B. Williams, Cody, Tyson
    OLB - Suggs, Doom, Upshaw, Simon
    ILB - Brown, McClain, McClellan, Bynes, Bryant
    CB - Webb, Jimmy, Graham, Chykie, Jackson
    FS - Huff
    SS - Elam, Ihedigbo, Thompson

K - Tucker
    P - Koch
    LS - Cox

PS:
    QB - Dayne Crist
    RB - Bobby Rainey
    WR - T. Streeter, Marlon Brown, Rashard Carter
    TE - Alex Silvestro
    OL - David Mims, Reggie Stevens, Joe Unga
    DL - Will Perciak, Meshak Williams
    LB - Brandon Copeland, Adrian Hamilton, Nigel Carr
    DB - Omar Brown, Brandyn Trawick, Anthony Levine, Marc Anthony

IR:
    Aaron Mellette, Will Perciak, Jack Cornell, Roger Gaines, Antione Caldwell
    Theyre going to get an exemption for Thompson, so it should be a final 54 until week 5, or am i mistaken?

I think Streeter makes it and Williams doesnt. Hes good ST, but with Reed likely making it they wont need him as bad, which if last year indicates anything, he was used sparingly anyway. Streeter gives us a redzone WR to fill in for Boldin.

Cant see them going with just GG unless Jensen beats out AQ outright at C. I like Cornell as a wild card in this. Possibly taking Reids spot as T/G depth.

I think 5 OLB is more likely than 5 ILB. Hamilton or McAdoo probaby gets the nod and years past indicates well value a 6th DB "never enough corners or pass rushers".

With our DL depth, im almost thinking somebody gets traded. maybe Cody for a conditional late rounder? Not sure how that plays out with only one true NT on the team at that point.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Petard View Post
    leach-
    I really do agree with your thoughts on Smith/long term contract, etc., but I also am reminded of some of the results after a guy signs a sweet deal where his "passion" (or whatever you want to call it) begins to erode over the term. Think of how many guys we hear or see that finally "show their potential" in a contract year, then don't play at the level that we expected. I understand that's a little different than a relatively new guy like Smith where you propose locking him up "early", and the bet in your situation is that Smith will continue to improve and perform at a high quality level. I think the issue for the FO is, how much is enough to lock in Smith -- like Louie's old conflict on "Taxi" -- "Hhmmm, is 3 years at $2M enough...no, no...he needs more, maybe $3M....Wait! That's too much...but he may sign for $1.5M...but what about his agent...."and on and on and...

I'm sure Ozzie et al struggle with this all the time, but again, I agree that getting Smith under their belts gives the Ravens a lot more flexibilty with the overall CAP a couple seasons down the pike.
    I absolutely agree with you on this one, that is a concerning point you bring up in regards to signing Smith long term (may have to look at signing the other Smith too before its too late btw). However, at the CB position, its a different kind of animal IMO. We didn't offer Ellerbe enough money so he took Miami's offer, but he was only a great run thumping ILB, we can afford to lose players like him. Also, it is pretty uncommon for CBs to drop off a cliff after a really solid year (apart from injuries etc), historically once a CB breaks out, they have more times than not continued that production for a long period of time. I'm not sure why that happens with CBs, and not so much for any other position, but its an interesting debate none the less.

Blog Entries

Nigel Carr could even make the starting team, you never know... He seems to be killing it in camp, and had an impressive camp last year too. He seems to be a Harbaugh type guy too, overcoming adversity to make the NFL.
    Very true.

BTW is Nigel Carr more of an athletic coverage type LB, or a run thumper? The website lists him at 232 lbs, so that suggests he's more of a sideline guy, but all the reports I see of him suggest that he's a stout run defender. Anyone know where his strength lies? It would be cool to have two athletic guys in the middle who can cover adequately while being able to stop the run. That's what today's NFL is all about. You need two good corners, two good pass rushers, and athletic LBs who can cover the field.
    Carr reminds me of Ellerbe. Both are athletic and would have been drafted had it not been for off the field issues. Ellerbe was 6'1" 236 when he came into the league. Maybe Carr can be good in coverage against athletic TEs. The only ILB that has that ability right now is Brown. The other guys seem to be more run stoppers.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    At this point I have to think the Ravens are going to cut Tyson. It is probably going to be either Tyson or Cody. Team can't carry 8 guys for 3 spots. McPhee is being looked at as an OLB as well.

If One of the other guys shows that he will be able to play center should GG get hurt or be ineffective, they may cut AQ.

Not sure I see Bryant making the team. I have not heard much about him. Hoping Nigel Carr steps up.
    Also, I just can't see them cutting Tyson. He played a fair amount last year and while he wasn't astounding, he wasn't terrible and showed some nice ability for a 7th round pick. Considering Art Jones may be quite expensive to re-sign next year, Tyson may be a good insurance policy/depth in case Art Jones leaves.

I'm pretty sure we can't extend anyone early from jimmy and Torreys rookie class on. Don't they have to pay out the four year deals now with this new CBA

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Also, I just can't see them cutting Tyson. He played a fair amount last year and while he wasn't astounding, he wasn't terrible and showed some nice ability for a 7th round pick. Considering Art Jones may be quite expensive to re-sign next year, Tyson may be a good insurance policy/depth in case Art Jones leaves.
    The problem is that would mean 8 guys for 3 positions. Ngata, Jones, McPhee, Williams, Canty and Spears are locks assuming no injuries. Last year the Ravens carried 7 on the dline. Assuming no injuries the Ravens are going to have a tough decision.

Probably need to add at least 1 more DB. Last year the Ravens went with 11. They are key to special teams as well as increased nickel and dime coverage.

I am also guessing there might have to be a decision on Furstenberg and Leach. Pitta and Dickson are the TEs. You can't carry two FBs unless one is a very good special teams player. KJ is going to either be backup TE and special teams or the only FB. If KJ is capable of being FB maybe they cut leach and keep Furstenberg. If KJ can't handle it and they keep Leach that probably means PS for Furstenberg.

Of course injuries in training camp will change everything.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    The problem is that would mean 8 guys for 3 positions. Ngata, Jones, McPhee, Williams, Canty and Spears are locks assuming no injuries. Last year the Ravens carried 7 on the dline. Assuming no injuries the Ravens are going to have a tough decision.

Probably need to add at least 1 more DB. Last year the Ravens went with 11. They are key to special teams as well as increased nickel and dime coverage.

I am also guessing there might have to be a decision on Furstenberg and Leach. Pitta and Dickson are the TEs. You can't carry two FBs unless one is a very good special teams player. KJ is going to either be backup TE and special teams or the only FB. If KJ is capable of being FB maybe they cut leach and keep Furstenberg. If KJ can't handle it and they keep Leach that probably means PS for Furstenberg.

Of course injuries in training camp will change everything.
    Well, if they are considering McPhee a part time DE/OLB, then that means they could carry 1 less OLB.