World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

iggyman555 Guest

Re: OTA Tidbits

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    Upshaw is 13 pounds heavier than last season weighing in at 285

http://touch.baltimoresun.com/#secti.../p2p-76141521/

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 2h

Ravens outside linebacker Courtney Upshaw trying to get down from 285 pounds after dealing with 'personal issues' http://www.baltimoresun.com/bal-rave...,3146471.story
    View summary

i wonder what issues he is dealing with, usually this stuff leaks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post

Harbs lost his #1 and @#2 QB and had to go with a rookie; how did that work out? He figured out a way to use the rest of the team (still intact) to be competitive and use the QB as a game manager. Caldwell didn't.

I know it's apples and oranges I'm just saying Caldwell was abysmal. I hope he is mega-successful as the OC this year but I doubt that would bring any HC inquiries. Maybe we'll get to find out in a few months.
    It is possible that Flacco would have beaten Boller and Troy Smith anyway and clearly Flacco is (and was) a better QB than Painter.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by iggyman555 View Post

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 2h

Ravens outside linebacker Courtney Upshaw trying to get down from 285 pounds after dealing with 'personal issues' http://www.baltimoresun.com/bal-rave...,3146471.story
    View summary

i wonder what issues he is dealing with, usually this stuff leaks
    Well, 3 months to get in shape. He can easily drop 15 lbs in 3 months.

Disappointing that Upshaw seems to be having problems staying in shape.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Is this Terrence Cody, or Courtney Upshaw?

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/photo...d-e5143729eae3

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Is this Terrence Cody, or Courtney Upshaw?

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/photo...d-e5143729eae3
    Upshaw.

Blog Entries

I dont think Upshaw looks all that different but if hes really at 290 than im not sure where his heads at. clearly not on improving his pass rush or even being an OLB worthy of taking time away from Doom on 1st and 2nd. Thats if he doesnt kick it in to gear and get in shape by TC, obviously. getting into shape instead of focused on your play is one way to quickly lose a position battle. which frankly, hes already behind Doom as a player.

Maybe they plan to use him as a DE? Ive long said 4-3 DE is his most natural position, maybe they plan on using him in sub-packages mostly.
    -JAB

We have not done well with our last two second rounders from Alabama. They both seem to be lazy. Upshaw should be no heavier than 270. Probably even 260. Coming into camp out of shape is not a good way to start. Run the risk of getting injured. On top of that instead of refining your game you are trying to play your way into shape. Not smart. If there is one way to get yourself into the Harbaugh doghouse it is to show up fat.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Upshaw.

im sure that was sarcasm because he's quite large...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    We have not done well with our last two second rounders from Alabama. They both seem to be lazy. Upshaw should be no heavier than 270. Probably even 260. Coming into camp out of shape is not a good way to start. Run the risk of getting injured. On top of that instead of refining your game you are trying to play your way into shape. Not smart. If there is one way to get yourself into the Harbaugh doghouse it is to show up fat.
    I'm not willing to step out on a limb and say that Upshaw is lazy. Nor am I really willing to say that Cody is lazy. I just think that maybe they aren't being smart about their skill set?

Cody went from around 360lbs to like 335-340lbs in an off-season. You don't do that by being lazy. I think he wasn't going about things the correct way though, because with that drop in weight he lost a lot of his raw strength, which IMO was his best asset. Apparently, he was shedding weight to gain endurance so he could be more than 2-down player, but that backfired. Whoever is coaching him needs to get him back up to the 345-355lb range because he'll never be an every down player. He's just not built that way and he needs to accept that. There is a place for him on this team and I'd hope he could become the type of player that Gilbert Brown was for the Packers or even Jamaal Jackson towards the end of his career in San Diego.

Regarding Upshaw, he is always going to have a weight issue. He's thick and massively built. He has enormous shoulders, arms, and a massive lower body. I wouldn't say he is really "fat" though. When you carry that much muscle mass, you are bound to carry an increased level of water weight, so his 285lbs can be dealt with fairly quickly and easily. I don't think that Upshaw will ever be that swift 255-260lb pass rusher that we'd all like him to be, but as long as the Ravens have guys like Doom and (hopefully) Simon, I don't think they'll really need Upshaw to be a 10-12 sack per year player. JJ was never that kind of a linebacker and he was an integral part of this defense for a long time. Upshaw's strengths are his natural strength, rip moves, and stopping the run. If I were the coaching staff I would be focusing on making him the best (which he was one of the best last year) edge-setting OLB in the game.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    im sure that was sarcasm because he's quite large...
    Upshaw is large...but he's not Cody large.