Page 7 of 41 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: OTA Tidbits

Re: OTA Tidbits

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Not a fan of crossfit at all.
    Me neither. My cousin is one of the top competitors in the province of Ontario for his weight so I started doing it and didn't like it. I prefer traditional lifting and speed/agility drills
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

I know a guy I worked with who cross-dresses. Is that the same ... Bc

Blog Entries

Neither am I... I don't knock it because I am for any type of exercise, and it's just good in general for more people to be active.

My main concern is how they teach people how to do certain lifts. It seems like they don't stress proper form too much.

IE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=BDDyxXyf6UU

4. Re: OTA Tidbits

CrossFit can be very effective, but the injury rate is high:

http://www.strengthandconditioningre...2/28/crossfit/

I think a lot of it depends on the coach. I can't imagine doing as many deadlifts/squats as you can for "time" being a good idea. That's when form breaks down and injuries happen. However, a good coach can go a long way. I'm just not a fan of the "workout 'til you puke" fad that is happening with CrossFit/P90X/Insanity/etc. People don't have to kill themselves to get ripped. Just do the proper movements with a decent load and run a caloric deficit with high protein.

Although a GREAT thing that CrossFit has done is get more women lifting weights. It's really helping crush the myth that girls will get "bulky" if they lift heavy weights.

Preston reiterates that Upshaw (along with McClellan) is looking a little hefty

*Second year outside linebacker Courtney Upshaw looked like he might need to slim down before training camp. Ditto for fellow linebacker Albert McClellan.
    Zrebiec's observations

Second-year wide receiver Deonte Thompson was the talk of training camp last year and if yesterday’s practice session was any indication, he’s ready to have another impactful camp. Thompson was all over the field making tough catches and showing his speed and athleticism. With Jacoby Jones seemingly holding the edge for the No. 2 WR spot, Thompson and Tandon Doss could be in for a spirited competition for the third wide receiver role. Both looked really good yesterday
    But I do feel comfortable pointing out that tight end Ed Dickson was extremely active and made a bunch of athletic catches. I also thought cornerback Jimmy Smith looked to be in really good shape. It’s hard to tell sometimes, especially when you are used to seeing players in full pads, but he looked pretty lean to me. Smith had talked last year about dropping a few pounds and getting a little quicker. It looks like he’s accomplished that. Another thing that struck me is the size of rookie nose tackle Brandon Williams. You can see why team officials are so excited about the third-round pick. We’ll see how Terrence Cody recovers from hip surgery and how the coaching staff moves around the defensive linemen, but I think Williams has a pretty good chance of starting come Sept. 5 in Denver.
    http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/r...#ixzz2U8T2CYGB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pyramid Head View Post
    I'm just not a fan of the "workout 'til you puke" fad that is happening with CrossFit/P90X/Insanity/etc. People don't have to kill themselves to get ripped. Just do the proper movements with a decent load and run a caloric deficit with high protein.

Although a GREAT thing that CrossFit has done is get more women lifting weights. It's really helping crush the myth that girls will get "bulky" if they lift heavy weights.
    Agreed on both. Diet is everything especially if you are trying to be lean. The lifting heavy part is key also to try to maintain as much muscle as possible while cutting weight.

What I recommend to everyone starting out in lifting is starting strength. http://startingstrength.com/ I went from deadlifting 225 for 1 when I first started to pulling 405 for 1 at 170lbs body weight in about a year.

Blog Entries

I'm just not a fan of the "workout 'til you puke" fad that is happening with CrossFit/P90X/Insanity/etc. People don't have to kill themselves to get ripped. Just do the proper movements with a decent load and run a caloric deficit with high protein.

Agreed on both. Diet is everything especially if you are trying to be lean. The lifting heavy part is key also to try to maintain as much muscle as possible while cutting weight.

What I recommend to everyone starting out in lifting is starting strength. http://startingstrength.com/ I went from deadlifting 225 for 1 when I first started to pulling 405 for 1 at 170lbs body weight in about a year.

8. Re: OTA Tidbits

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post

Aaah, Starting Strength...so simple, so effective. And nice pull, man! I'm currently doing Jim Wendler's 5/3/1. Such a good program for the intermediate/advanced lifter.

Blog Entries

Aaah, Starting Strength...so simple, so effective. And nice pull, man! I'm currently doing Jim Wendler's 5/3/1. Such a good program for the intermediate/advanced lifter.
    Thanks. Couple of my friends did 5/3/1 and had good results with it.

Not a CrossFit thread, folks.

Lets get back on topic.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Not a CrossFit thread, folks.

Lets get back on topic.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    There is no way. Sal Pal is just wrong on this one.

If Joe were a rookie and added 15 lbs of muscle in the offseason, I would say ok. But he's entering his 6th year now, and he's been in the program this whole time, including the strength training. He's already added most of the muscle he is ever going to add during his playing career. There's no way he suddenly added 15 more pounds of muscle, esp in the shortened offseason they've had since the Super Bowl. Otherwise, what has he been doing with his strength training the previous 5 years?

If Joe has gained 15 lbs, it's McDonald's and sympathy weight, like lovefootball said. But I don't believe that either. Sal Pal is just wrong on this.
    I saw that on NFL live. Sal said SEVEN (7) pounds of muscle this offseason, not 15. That's much more reasonable. The 15 the total is over the 5 years that Flacco's been here.

http://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/201...co-filling-out