Page 34 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: OTA Tidbits

Re: OTA Tidbits

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    Bingo. The electrons I saved not typing this thank you.
    Has Castillo ever been an offensive coordinator? Or just oline coach?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    Has Castillo ever been an offensive coordinator? Or just oline coach?
    OL and Defensive Coordinator.

The thing id be worried about in this scenario is him being exceptionally good at one thing. Kind of like lebeau being a great DC but not so good coach. Im not sure being able to teach OL technique equates to being able to put full gameplans and call plays. If this is the scenario, id rather be hearing about him being beside Caldwell at practice and over seeing everything rather than just working the OL which we already know he can do.
    -JAB

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

Don't have the 'pleasure' of seeing Preston's musings in the media as much down here, but reading those quotes above, I'm reminded that he and his approach remind me if the Black Knight in "The Holy Grail"!

Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    My guess:

1) Good chance that Caldwell is one and done as OC as he gets another head coaching job for 2014.

2) Castillo then is the heir apparent OC. Besides being de facto o-line coach this year he is also teaching...

3) Moeller, who learns from Castillo this year so that he gets his job back as o-line coach in 2014 when Castillo is promoted. As a bonus he and Castillo develop a close relationship for 2014.
    IMHO, Caldwell isn't a head coach. Similar to Wade Phillips and Norv Turner, he is much better as a coordinator.

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    OL and Defensive Coordinator.

The thing id be worried about in this scenario is him being exceptionally good at one thing. Kind of like lebeau being a great DC but not so good coach. Im not sure being able to teach OL technique equates to being able to put full gameplans and call plays. If this is the scenario, id rather be hearing about him being beside Caldwell at practice and over seeing everything rather than just working the OL which we already know he can do.
    yea well I knew he was a d cord and he sucked. But It would be a risk having him as an o cord when he has never done it before

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Iscull View Post
    IMHO, Caldwell isn't a head coach. Similar to Wade Phillips and Norv Turner, he is much better as a coordinator.
    take it for what it's worth, but a few sources around the league said had Caldwell not made it to the SB, he would've gotten interviews for at least one or two HC openings.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Preston observations:

If rookie safety Matt Elam, pictured, makes as many plays in a game as he made in this minicamp, he is going to have an outstanding career. This kid is fearless and he doesn't just attack a receiver, he drives through to the ball.
    He can cover one-on-one and has good closing speed for a safety. And, get this, he walks just like former Pro Bowl safety Ed Reed. He has those semi-long, pigeon-toed strides, but he has a more muscular-toned body than Reed.
    I know it's only minicamp, but third-year cornerback Jimmy Smith, pictured, did a nice job of covering wide receiver Torrey Smith. He was physical and showed a lot more confidence than a year ago.
    According to several coaches and players, Jimmy Smith was one of the team's hardest workers during the offseason. He might finally live up to the potential that made him the Ravens' first-round draft pick in 2011.
    Outside linebacker Terrell Suggs is getting a lot of props for reshaping his body, but second-year linebacker Nigel Carr, pictured, deserves a lot of credit as well. He was too big and bulky last season, but he has been flying around to the ball in this minicamp. He loves to hit, but sometimes is too aggressive and gets washed down in the piles
    The best competitions of training camp will be at cornerback with Chykie Brown, pictured, Jimmy Smith and Corey Graham looking to start, and at wide receiver with David Reed, Tandon Doss and Corey Graham. All three wide receivers performed well at the three-day minicamp.

Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/r...#ixzz2WDCXdmB9

Blog Entries

The coaching hires made by John Harbaugh show how confident he is in himself. I think that the hire of Steve Spagnuolo is another to keep our eyes on.

The coaching staff is stacked.

I think the Ravens learned from constantly dealing with the loss of a DC and finding themselves out in the cold when they wanted to replace Cameron. Now, especially since Harbaugh has the ring and all of the emotional benefits that come with it, they are stacking the coaches with depth as if they were players.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

"Tandon Doss doesnt show up in games."

Are you serious right now? Tandon Doss doesnt show up in games? He has to be given a chance to show up in the first place. The dude barely sees the field and when he does, barely gets thrown to. The most action Ive seen him receive was during the colts/ravens playoff game where he was targeted 3 times, 3 bad passes/good coverage and couldnt get a grab.

Look back at those plays, youll see why he didnt catch them.

I mean, he was the 4/5 option at the receiver position how can ANYONE here say that he has disappointed?

Quote Originally Posted by landspeed View Post
    "Tandon Doss doesnt show up in games."

Are you serious right now? Tandon Doss doesnt show up in games? He has to be given a chance to show up in the first place. The dude barely sees the field and when he does, barely gets thrown to. The most action Ive seen him receive was during the colts/ravens playoff game where he was targeted 3 times, 3 bad passes/good coverage and couldnt get a grab.

Look back at those plays, youll see why he didnt catch them.

I mean, he was the 4/5 option at the receiver position how can ANYONE here say that he has disappointed?
    First off I agree with you, but what a lot of people are referring to is the game where he had 2 drops (including one for a TD) in the same drive. Was just noticeable to anyone watching the game. Can't remember what game it was, someone refresh me please
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

It's the whole, "We need a veteran, the young guys aren't proven, we need a veteran, these young guys aren't proven" sinkhole.

They couldn't get on the field, because Boldin was on the field. Now that Boldin is gone, they aren't proven, so their is a need for somebody else.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Under the current conditions, it reminds me of the Colts when they brought in no names to go along with Reggie Wayne. A very good quarterback with time to throw, like Joe has now, can make any of these young WRs look good if they can just catch the damn ball. He will get it there. We will see who rises to the challenge. We have alot of talent trying to rise. I have faith that a couple of them will more than surprise.
    We will be fine.