Page 37 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: OTA Tidbits

Re: OTA Tidbits

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    I think many in the league remember the earlier success, and combine that with the job he did turning our offense around, and he's bound to be an intriguing name.
    Plus, to be frank, he'll get requests for interviews due to the Rooney Rule. People had been using him for that for awhile, I believe. Heck, I think the Ravens did. It's VERY likely that Caldwell will, at least, go on interviews. Take the Rooney Rule, with what Scallywag said above, with the possibility that Caldwell actually interviews well...yeah, it's a good idea to have a succession plan in place.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamjo View Post
    Plus, to be frank, he'll get requests for interviews due to the Rooney Rule. People had been using him for that for awhile, I believe. Heck, I think the Ravens did. It's VERY likely that Caldwell will, at least, go on interviews. Take the Rooney Rule, with what Scallywag said above, with the possibility that Caldwell actually interviews well...yeah, it's a good idea to have a succession plan in place.
    I agree wholeheartedly. I was just pointing out the absolute change in perception in the span of less than a quarter of one regular season, a complete post season, albeit ending in the ultimate pinnacle of the game, and a couple of OTA's. this guy coming in late in the season was scrutinized because he had never officially called plays. People were totally doubting his ability to actually do so, and now people (who may quite possibly be 100% correct) think he is going to get hired right out from under us in less than the span of 8 months.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    The thing id be worried about in this scenario is him being exceptionally good at one thing. Kind of like lebeau being a great DC but not so good coach. Im not sure being able to teach OL technique equates to being able to put full gameplans and call plays. If this is the scenario, id rather be hearing about him being beside Caldwell at practice and over seeing everything rather than just working the OL which we already know he can do.
    Disagree. Preseason is teaching season; coordinators don't have much to coordinate at this time of year. Castillo is by all accounts a superb teacher & evaluator of talent for the OL & he should be doing exactly that through August.

Now, once the season starts, I'm with you--Juan should be glued to Caldwell's hip & picking up on everything he does, prepping for eventual elevation to OC if/when Jim gets another HC gig.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    Disagree. Preseason is teaching season; coordinators don't have much to coordinate at this time of year. Castillo is by all accounts a superb teacher & evaluator of talent for the OL & he should be doing exactly that through August.

Now, once the season starts, I'm with you--Juan should be glued to Caldwell's hip & picking up on everything he does, prepping for eventual elevation to OC if/when Jim gets another HC gig.
    i can agree with that. Come september their futures better be pretty clear.
    -JAB

iggyman555 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    Devin Hester is a prime example of a guy who's efficiency as both a returner and a receiver was hampered by splitting his focus. I personally hope one of the young guns steps up as a receiver to move Jones down to the third spot where he'll be under less pressure to perform on the offense so he can continue to excel on STs.
    +10000

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    Devin Hester is a prime example of a guy who's efficiency as both a returner and a receiver was hampered by splitting his focus. I personally hope one of the young guns steps up as a receiver to move Jones down to the third spot where he'll be under less pressure to perform on the offense so he can continue to excel on STs.
    That's where I was coming from. If Jacoby plays a lot of snaps there's a good chance they relieve him of KR duties to save his energy and prevent injury. They can use him for both, but most return guys aren't full time starters.

I agree, I hope one of the young receivers step up and become the #2; use Jacoby as the #3 so he can still be utilized as a KR.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/b...#ixzz2WT4sng6r

The Royal Rumble at the wide receiver position figures to be the most interesting battle of training camp, and Doss, a third-year wide receiver, left a nice impression heading into the summer. Doss has looked quicker than when we last saw him, and he appears to be playing with more confidence. It felt as if he had the ball in his hands more often than any other wide receiver during minicamp, Torrey Smith included. If he continues to make plays during training camp, he could push for the vacant starting spot.
    Hadn't heard much about Tandon so that's good to read.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post

GREAT news.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

That's good, he just needs to keep it up in camp. The knock on Doss previously was that he's great until the threat of contact is introduced.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post

Everything Ive been reading says Doss continues to run with the first team and the ball rarely, if ever, hits the ground. Since Thompson is a home run threat, it seems Doss has been getting lost by simply not having splashy plays, outside a few one handed grabs that writers warranted publication. I have a feeling hes going to separate himself in TC. Maybe Thompson continues to as well. we need 1 to step up, having two step up is a problem i dont mind having.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Everything Ive been reading says Doss continues to run with the first team and the ball rarely, if ever, hits the ground. Since Thompson is a home run threat, it seems Doss has been getting lost by simply not having splashy plays, outside a few one handed grabs that writers warranted publication. I have a feeling hes going to separate himself in TC. Maybe Thompson continues to as well. we need 1 to step up, having two step up is a problem i dont mind having.
    Best case would be if Doss and Thompson beat out Jacoby. Have Doss in the slot and Thompson as the number 2 guy, that would be perfect IMO. You could let Jacoby do what he does best, while still coming on for certain offensive plays too.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Best case would be if Doss and Thompson beat out Jacoby. Have Doss in the slot and Thompson as the number 2 guy, that would be perfect IMO. You could let Jacoby do what he does best, while still coming on for certain offensive plays too.
    This would be ideal. No matter who is "technically" #2 and #3, Doss would be best in the slot where he can avoid the press and move the chains, Thompson is much more of a field-stretcher out wide. Jacoby can stick to kicks and punts, and come on for a package of plays a game for streak routes and such.

I like to hear Doss is doing well, but he needs to impress in padded practices before I buy his stock.