Page 16 of 41 FirstFirst ... 1415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: OTA Tidbits

Re: OTA Tidbits

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/r...0,603301.story

There wasn’t too much to gain from a reporter’s standpoint at last week’s OTAs but three guys that continue to make positive impressions are tight end Ed Dickson, rookie nose tackle Brandon Williams and cornerback Jimmy Smith. Dickson has been extremely active and has made some tough catches. Williams is just huge and he moves pretty well for a big man. And Smith just looks so much more comfortable and confident. He says he’s lost 10 pounds and he certainly looks leaner and like he’s moving really well. For all the knocks on Smith, he was clutch in the Super Bowl and it’s clear that he’s intent on building on that. Assuming Webb returns healthy, the Ravens should be pretty set at cornerback with Webb, Smith, Corey Graham and Chykie Brown occupying the top four spots. Veteran Chris Johnson,
    second-year player Asa Jackson and rookies Marc Anthony and Moe Lee will also compete for spots

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    Great news.

Jimmy will hopefully be in for a BIG year.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

This team has the potential to be much better than last year's.

We have a big and skilled defensive front with added depth. We have a Pro-Bowl caliber CB returning. We have two safeties that can cover and tackle. We replaced Kruger with a better player and Suggs is healthier. Arthur Brown might be able to cover the middle of the field.

Our offensive line is in place. There is no need to adjust positions unless there is injury. We have a top 5 RB who is being backed up by a young stud. They have the best FB in the league leading the way for them. Our QB is playing with more confidence and ability than ever. If Dickson can live up to his potential he will have the second best TE tandem in the league to throw to. Torrey Smith should be able to break out in his third year which is usually when it clicks for a WR. The only question mark is who else will produce. I believe in Tandon Doss and Deonte Thompson. We also shouldn't forget Jacoby. If these receivers can produce... I don't see any reason we shouldn't be in our third straight AFCCG.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Regarding the Pats losing Brady, I don't understand why you're comparing Belichik to Caldwell. That's like comparing Chris Johnson to Eric Dickerson because they both had over 2,000 yards in a season. Belichik is one of the greats. I was merely pointing out that Caldwell was the HC on a team that was built around Peyton Manning and when he went down, everything collapsed. Sure, he can be blamed for some of that and it is a direct reason to why he was fired, but I think it is a little absurd to think that he won't get another HC gig opportunity. Furthermore, Matt Cassell, while not a great QB, has been a starting QB for several years whereas Curtis Painter and Dan Orlovsky have been career backups. I don't know that is a fair comparison either.
    Let me conjecture that the difference between Pats - Brady & Irsays - PM was that Brady is more a system-dependent QB, & BB kept Cassell as a backup because he could be trained to play acceptably within that system--not as well as Tommy Tutu, but not horrifically either--& the rest of the team could work a little harder to pick up the slack.

Peyton is also a system-dependent QB but it's his own system--rrunning it requires a QB who not only can make throws into very tight space/time windows but who can recognize defenses quickly & call the right audible (and do a really slick job of faking audibles to keep the defense guessing). I guess you can blame Caldwell for not having a Cassell-equivalent on the bench, but it seems to me that Manning's system is very binary--if you can run it at all, you're a helluva QB, & there ain't that many out there capable of running it.

Thinking back to the stories of Caldwell at Indy filling whiteboards with route trees & play options, it sounds kind of like Professor Caldwell was totally wrapped up in the care & feeding of his brilliant postdoc Peyton, who seemed to grasp everything immediately & intuitively--but once PM was out of the picture, he had to try & bring one of the undergrads up to speed on Peyton's quantum-relativistic offense & discovered none of the kids had the prereqs (or the mind or the skill set) to grasp it.

What kind of prospect is OL Antoine MCClain?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bazooka Joe View Post
    What kind of prospect is OL Antoine MCClain?
    maybe another year on the practice squad? I also saw that he fractured his foot and had surgery a couple weeks ago so that won't hep.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by JMUpurkfool View Post
    This team has the potential to be much better than last year's. [snip]
    I have a very strong feeling we are headed for a Green Bay type defending champions season. Pretty comfortably the number 1 seed, but get knocked off in the playoffs. Though I think we keep our 1-win per postseason minimum streak alive and get knocked off in the AFCCG.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    maybe another year on the practice squad? I also saw that he fractured his foot and had surgery a couple weeks ago so that won't hep.
    Doubt we ever see much of him. Maybe because he was recovering from surgery he can't walk, but he was one of the only young players not present in OTA's. Unless he has a good reason like that, there's no reason he shouldn't at least be there watching and learning

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    He has nice size for a guard. Was rooting for him.

Blog Entries

yeah it's a shame he broke his foot at the worse possible time...

Ravens reserve offensive lineman Antoine McClain is in a walking boot after recently undergoing surgery to repair a stress fracture in his right foot.

McClain got hurt during the Ravens' rookie minicamp in May. He had a screw surgically inserted into his foot and is unable to participate in organized team activities and minicamps, but expects to return by training camp.
    "I had surgery about four weeks ago," said McClain, a 6-foot-5, 336-pounder from Clemson who spent his rookie season on the Ravens' practice squad. "I'm recovering and rehabbing it. I can walk on it, it's not really sore. I'm just letting it heal. I'll definitely be ready by training camp. I'm staying in shape."
    AWilson@BaltSun.com

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Well that's good that he at least has a legitimate reason for being absent. I wasn't sure of the extend or type of injury suffered, or the surgery involved.

Hopefully he's ready to compete come training camp, but I think PS is probably best case scenario. Even that may be a long shot with guys like Rogers Gaines and Jack Cornell we may have to try to fit in there depending on their performance this summer.

I think our passrush and defensive speed is going to shock the league. My early 53 is:

QB
    Flacco, Taylor, Hanie

RB
    Rice, Pierce, Leach, Juice, Berry

TE
    Dickson, Pitta, Furst

WR
    Smith, Jones, D. Thompson, Streeter, Mallete

OL
    McKinnie, KO, Yanda, Oher, Gino, Waggner, Shipley, Stevens, Reid

DL
    Ngata, B. Williams, Cody, McPhee, Jones, Canty, Spears

LB
    Suggs, Doom, A Brown, McClain, Carr, Hamilton, Bynes, McClellan

S
    Huff, Elam, Brown, Thompson

CB
    J. Smith, Webb, O. Brown, Jackson, Graham, Johnson

ST
    Cox, Koch, Tucker
    Last edited by Bazooka Joe; 06-03-2013 at 03:30 PM.