Page 6 of 41 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: OTA Tidbits

Blog Entries

Re: OTA Tidbits

Quote Originally Posted by DrUnk View Post
    Hey! I'm 6'2" and 250, and I resemble that remark.
    Meaning someone who is 6'2" 250lbs may have more of a difficult time moving around in the pocket than someone who is 6'7" 250lbs.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DrUnk View Post
    Hey! I'm 6'2" and 250, and I resemble that remark.
    I am 5' 5" 250 lbs, but am vertically challenged. That's why I can park in the handicapped spot at McDonald's :) ... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by kronusthebonus View Post
    15 lbs of muscle in 4 months? Seems like a lot for a QB
    There is no way. Sal Pal is just wrong on this one.

If Joe were a rookie and added 15 lbs of muscle in the offseason, I would say ok. But he's entering his 6th year now, and he's been in the program this whole time, including the strength training. He's already added most of the muscle he is ever going to add during his playing career. There's no way he suddenly added 15 more pounds of muscle, esp in the shortened offseason they've had since the Super Bowl. Otherwise, what has he been doing with his strength training the previous 5 years?

If Joe has gained 15 lbs, it's McDonald's and sympathy weight, like lovefootball said. But I don't believe that either. Sal Pal is just wrong on this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    There is no way. Sal Pal is just wrong on this one.

If Joe were a rookie and added 15 lbs of muscle in the offseason, I would say ok. But he's entering his 6th year now, and he's been in the program this whole time, including the strength training. He's already added most of the muscle he is ever going to add during his playing career. There's no way he suddenly added 15 more pounds of muscle, esp in the shortened offseason they've had since the Super Bowl. Otherwise, what has he been doing with his strength training the previous 5 years?

If Joe has gained 15 lbs, it's McDonald's and sympathy weight, like lovefootball said. But I don't believe that either. Sal Pal is just wrong on this.
    I agree. Seems way off to me. 15 lbs of lean muscle is a lot more than people realize. 15 lbs of muscle/fat/water is a different story.

Joe has been rather thin since college.

6'6" frame on a 28 year old, adding 15 lbs over 4 months is butt easy. That's only 3 pounds and some change per month.

Hell, at 40 and starting Cross Fit for the first time in my life, I added 12 lbs in the same time frame and I am only 5'10"

Clearly, Joe is bulking up so as to better execute Jim's new read-option scheme.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Frankly, I would expect most of the Raven veterans to have some extra weight right now.
    They finished a grueling 8 months of football, training camp, with a few preseason games and 20 real games.
    They needed the past few months for their bodies to heal from the wear and tear of that long season.
    They have the entire summer to train hard and get themselves into the right frame of mind as well.
    Right now, they are going through the motions, mentally absorbing the formations, plays, drills, new players, etc. They are setting the basis for this next season.
    I would not take any stock into the weight of anyone until at least late July.
    Some players lose 10 pounds or more the first 2 weeks of camp and they know it.
    Some players add that extra weight knowing it will come right off.
    Every player is different...the staff and the players themselves should know best how they have to prepare individually for a long, very long NFL season.
    It is the rookies who will come in at top form, finding out that pro football camp is different than college.
    That is why there are so many pulled muscles and cramps, etc, from the youngest guys.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Joe has been rather thin since college.

6'6" frame on a 28 year old, adding 15 lbs over 4 months is butt easy. That's only 3 pounds and some change per month.

Hell, at 40 and starting Cross Fit for the first time in my life, I added 12 lbs in the same time frame and I am only 5'10"
    Good man on starting crossfit. It really helped me in my rugby career, and it can be for any type of fitness.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens44 View Post
    Frankly, I would expect most of the Raven veterans to have some extra weight right now.
    They finished a grueling 8 months of football, training camp, with a few preseason games and 20 real games.
    They needed the past few months for their bodies to heal from the wear and tear of that long season.
    This. They were probably at their lightest at the end of the season last year (like all football players are at the end of the season). Near the end of the season players are more focused on recovery than lifting so when you're burning as many calories as they are in games and practices, they are going to lose some weight.

So Flacco probably lost 5-10 pounds over the course of the season. Adding 15 lbs on to that isn't a big deal.

Flacco looks the same size that he was in camp last year and as the year progresses, it may come off. Plus being a 28 yr old vs a 23 yr old on the body, you tend to get heavier for some reason as you age (at least for some men anyway). Either way 250 on a 6-6 QB isn't much.

Keep the OTA news and photos coming.

****Granted this is from BR.com so naturally the observations will have a more positive slant to it but still...****

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/...9-50908faeaa52

Streeter looked much more polished than he did at this point last year. The sixth-round draft pick was a raw prospect when he came into the NFL, and that showed in the early part of last year’s offseason workouts. He appeared more solid in his route running, and was also physical with defenders coming out of his breaks.
    Left tackle Bryant McKinnie is participating in the workouts and he looks to be in good shape. He’s made a commitment to playing at a lighter weight this year, and he was able to keep pace during a hot, up-tempo practice.
    Looks like Big Mac was more than words this off-season.

Running backs Ray Rice and Bernard Pierce are studs. With the two of them in the backfield, the Ravens will have a great one-two punch this season.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Good man on starting crossfit. It really helped me in my rugby career, and it can be for any type of fitness.
    Not a fan of crossfit at all.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.