Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
I agree with this position. Obviously Smith and Jacoby are 100% locks, but Thompson, Doss, and Reed are all versatile and offer ST contributions, Thompson had his moments as a KR last year, Doss showed well on a few punt returns, and Reed is the team's best gunner and can also return kicks and punts. That makes those guys all locks as well at this point.

I don't see either Streeter or Mellette offering ST value and whichever of the two of them wins the 6th WR spot is likely to be a game-day inactive most weeks. It's kind of a tough call between those two right now because quite honestly, judging from their college tape, neither one is anywhere close to ready to contribute. Mellette is probably ahead technically a little bit and I think he has a little more inherent route-running ability, but not much.

Streeter just looked so stiff and sluggish getting in and out of his breaks last preseason that I didn't see a ton of upside as an NFL WR for him. Of course, now he's had a whole year to really polish and sharpen things up, and his roster status is really going to depend on how much he was able to do with the time he had. If he made strides, he might convince the team to hang onto him. Otherwise, I would put it 55/45 or so towards Mellette.
Im not willing to put Mellette ahead at this point for two reasons. Streeter has a year on him in the NFL and with the playbook. Mellette may be further along as a WR in general by perspective rookie years, but Streeter isnt the same as last year. hes been coached and worked for an entire season. Most every story I saw said hes leaps and bounds ahead of last year. Not saying hes a lock or Mellette couldnt beat him out, but id say hes more likely at this point at the very least.

I think what the team values as far STs could really be the deciding factor. in which case maybe Williams is that final spot. Ultimately i think we all mostly agree that the first 5 spots are pretty much locks and the 6th is the true camp battle.